+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP 2023 extension Opt In: Passport expires just a few days before the 18 months

preetaman5520

Jan 11, 2023
Hi, I'm holding a PGWP with expiry date Dec 16, 2023 and eligible for the 18-month extension. I have also received the Interim work authorization email allowing me to work until May 2024.

Now, I'd expect the new PGWP would be valid for 18 months from the current expiry date so it'd be June 16, 2025.
And my passport expires on June 25, 2025. So I thought I could just simply Opt In.

The issue is in the Opt-In questionnaire, IRCC seems to "round up" the expiry date, meaning they ask that my passport must be valid till at least June 30, 2025 and thus they don't allow me to proceed...

What can I do in this case? I'd prefer not extending my passport because there is still a long time before expiry and this current passport is tied to an in-progress PR application.

Can I apply for the PGWP extension in the regular way (i.e, without opting in)? And write an explanation that I hope they will give me the extension because it's just 5 days different?
I completely understand your situation because mine is the same case. My passport is expiring on 29 june. They shouldn’t have given a proper date like 30. I don’t know how they selected this date. Why not started from 1st of the month. This is such a foolish step.

Reactions: baryonix
Apr 9, 2023
Hi,I got the email from IRCC stating that , I'm eligible for the PGWP extension and my PGWP is expiring on Dec 04 2023 and my passport is expiring in 2032 June. But when I logged in my IRCC account I can not find the option Post-graduation work permit holder: Extend your open work permit (up to an additional
18 months) this option is not visible.
Can you please let me know ow what should I do.
Thanks

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
Hi,I got the email from IRCC stating that , I'm eligible for the PGWP extension and my PGWP is expiring on Dec 04 2023 and my passport is expiring in 2032 June. But when I logged in my IRCC account I can not find the option Post-graduation work permit holder: Extend your open work permit (up to an additional
Thanks
As I read through various posts, seems that option is only available if you have linked your previous PGWP to your GCKey. I suggest you link your earlier application and then most likely that option should appear. Good Luck !
@katapru - FYI .

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
As I read through various posts, seems that option is only available if you have linked your previous PGWP to your GCKey. I suggest you link your earlier application and then most likely that option should appear. Good Luck !
@katapru - FYI .
U have applied all my work permits myself and they are all in the same account. My passport expires in 2028. The only thing I can see that would cause me not to be eligible for the opt-in process is that I applied for the 18 month extension program in 2021-22. I am unsure if this is a technical glitch or something and IRCC will only be contactable tomorrow.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Thanks
Unless your permit is expiring soon I would suggest you wait until the end of this month. IRCC will be contactable on the 11th and hopefully they clarify what exactly is the criteria. The work authorisation form says we should qualify for opt-in but we don't

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
I have two passports from two different countries. I applied to my PGWP with a passport from nationality A. This passport expires before June 2025. I have a passport from a nationality B that has a longer expiration date. Can I apply to the extension with passport B?

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
U have applied all my work permits myself and they are all in the same account. My passport expires in 2028. The only thing I can see that would cause me not to be eligible for the opt-in process is that I applied for the 18 month extension program in 2021-22. I am unsure if this is a technical glitch or something and IRCC will only be contactable tomorrow.
Did you receive the Opt-In email ? also lets hear from @anasbingursain and @katapru on how they were able to resolve their issues.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Did you receive the Opt-In email ? also lets hear from @anasbingursain and @katapru on how they were able to resolve their issues.
Nope, just the work authorization mail. Funnily enough the work authorization mail says if your permit is valid you can opt-in, but doesn't mention any requirements and doesn't link to the form.

I was unaware of this entire program until I got the work authorization email. As my permit is not going to expire soon, I am happy to wait.

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
Nope, just the work authorization mail. Funnily enough the work authorization mail says if your permit is valid you can opt-in, but doesn't mention any requirements and doesn't link to the form.

I was unaware of this entire program until I got the work authorization email. As my permit is not going to expire soon, I am happy to wait.
Right, you are not seeing the option because you do not seem to eligible for extension using "Opt In" route. You may have to apply for extension using non "Opt-In" route as mentioned by IRCC ( by paying fees)

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Right, you are not seeing the option because you do not seem to eligible for extension using "Opt In" route. You may have to apply for extension using non "Opt-In" route as mentioned by IRCC ( by paying fees)
That's what I deduced but IRCC''s messaging is unclear, so i'll wait before spending money.

baryonix

May 21, 2019
I completely understand your situation because mine is the same case. My passport is expiring on 29 june. They shouldn’t have given a proper date like 30. I don’t know how they selected this date. Why not started from 1st of the month. This is such a foolish step.
Totally! My passport expires just 5 days before and yours only 1 day! It's too stupid on their part, just because of a few days difference now we have to pay 155$ to extend? -.- Is their system so illogical that they can't handle such case, lol

preetaman5520

Jan 11, 2023
Totally! My passport expires just 5 days before and yours only 1 day! It's too stupid on their part, just because of a few days difference now we have to pay 155$ to extend? -.- Is their system so illogical that they can't handle such case, lol
Exactly, Inside Work Permit applications are taking 5-6 months for approval nowadays. Now I am not sure when to apply for Work Permit Extension other than this so called OPT IN option. My Work Permit is expiring in the starting of December and I have already applied for my PR and now there is a news that IRCC is going on strike.... like seriously? First they were not lowering the draws and I didn't get ITA... now when I got ITA and submitted my file, now they are going on strike .... after this strike, they will say we have a backlog.

Please advice guys when should I apply for my work permit extension. I mean before how many months of expiring date, I can apply for this extension?

baryonix

May 21, 2019
Exactly, Inside Work Permit applications are taking 5-6 months for approval nowadays. Now I am not sure when to apply for Work Permit Extension other than this so called OPT IN option. My Work Permit is expiring in the starting of December and I have already applied for my PR and now there is a news that IRCC is going on strike.... like seriously? First they were not lowering the draws and I didn't get ITA... now when I got ITA and submitted my file, now they are going on strike .... after this strike, they will say we have a backlog.

Please advice guys when should I apply for my work permit extension. I mean before how many months of expiring date, I can apply for this extension?
We just got or PR Portal yesterday, so I think I can ignore this whole IRCC stupidity of the PGWP extension.
I hope you got your PR before your current PGWP expiry too, we shouldn't have to give more money to IRCC!

preetaman5520

Jan 11, 2023
We just got or PR Portal yesterday, so I think I can ignore this whole IRCC stupidity of the PGWP extension.
I hope you got your PR before your current PGWP expiry too, we shouldn't have to give more money to IRCC!
I was positive till I got the news about this strike. I think they began the strike from today onwards. And now the processing of files will get delayed for sure.