+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident without passport (Ex Refugee)

canada7869

Jan 30, 2022
Hello,

I was a refugee and my passport was seized by IRCC. I received my permanent residency last year in May, meanwhile, my passport is expired and IRCC didn't give back my passport. Right now I only have PR card, nothing else.
My question is if I want to travel now to any country or back home, what documents do I need? Can I apply to renew my passport? Can I travel to my country?

Thanks in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I was a refugee and my passport was seized by IRCC. I received my permanent residency last year in May, meanwhile, my passport is expired and IRCC didn't give back my passport. Right now I only have PR card, nothing else.
My question is if I want to travel now to any country or back home, what documents do I need? Can I apply to renew my passport? Can I travel to my country?

Thanks in advance!
You need to apply for an RTD (refugee travel document) in order to be able to travel.

Do not renew your home country passport. Do not travel to your home country. If you travel to your home country, this will put your PR status in jeopardy and place you in a position where your PR status may be revoked by Canada.

You won't be able to safely travel to your home country until you are a Canadian citizen.

canada7869

Jan 30, 2022
You need to apply for an RTD (refugee travel document) in order to be able to travel.

Do not renew your home country passport. Do not travel to your home country. If you travel to your home country, this will put your PR status in jeopardy and place you in a position where your PR status may be revoked by Canada.

You won't be able to safely travel to your home country until you are a Canadian citizen.
Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it. I had 2 applications going on: one refugee claim and 2nd sponsorship application. Both of them got accepted. Refugee got accepted first, later month sponsorship was also accepted. I have received my PR in April 2021. Could you please tell me when I will be eligible to apply for citizenship and what are documents I will need? Will it cause a problem since I don't have a passport?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it. I had 2 applications going on: one refugee claim and 2nd sponsorship application. Both of them got accepted. Refugee got accepted first, later month sponsorship was also accepted. I have received my PR in April 2021. Could you please tell me when I will be eligible to apply for citizenship and what are documents I will need? Will it cause a problem since I don't have a passport?
Did you get PR as a result of the refugee claim or as a result of sponsorship?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I applied for PR card through my sponsorship application. I didn't do anything after I received yes from the refugee application.
Did you withdraw your refugee application yet?

You should post to the refugee / asylum section of the forum. If you now have PR through spousal sponsorship then you should be withdrawing your refugee application. Given PR was through spousal sponsorship, you can travel to your home country.

canada7869

Jan 30, 2022

You should post to the refugee / asylum section of the forum. If you now have PR through spousal sponsorship then you should be withdrawing your refugee application. Given PR was through spousal sponsorship, you can travel to your home country.
I had 2 applications going on: one refugee claim and 2nd sponsorship application. Both of them got accepted. Refugee got accepted first, later month sponsorship was also accepted. I have received my PR in April 2021.

canada7869

Jan 30, 2022

Refugee claim was accepted last year. What do you mean by withdrawing it?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Refugee claim was accepted last year. What do you mean by withdrawing it?
@scylla assumed it was still in process. Given that you were accepted as a protected person you will still be considered a protected person so can not use your home country passport or return to your home country until you are a citizen.

Reactions: canada7869

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@scylla assumed it was still in process. Given that you were accepted as a protected person you will still be considered a protected person so can not use your home country passport or return to your home country until you are a citizen.
If PR was obtained through spousal sponsorship (which it sounds like it was), then he should be able to return to his home country without issue before citizenship.

Reactions: canada7869

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

kri19631

Aug 6, 2018
Dear Friends,
I have applied for PR on H&C ( best interest of the child) and got approval on Feb 2022. IRCC has reached out me and asked to submit documents and other details for processing. May I know how long does this take and what are the next steps?
Thank you

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
Hello,

Thanks in advance!
You can do anything you want to do. To travel out of Canada and return you don't need a passport, you can use instead PRTD.
If you travel home, you will produce evidence that you don't need protection from persecution anymore, and as such your refugee status could be revoked. Since you received PR via sponsorship (I assume you mean your relative or a job sponsored your PR), then revocation of refugee status per doesn't mean much anymore. However, unless circumstances have changed back home, you could potentially be charged with getting a refugee status on false grounds (you can be asked, how come you got a refugee status if you are unafraid to travel home). Getting a refugee status on false grounds is a deportable offense.

Last edited: