+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent resident application through common-law sponsorship

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hi there ,

Am I able to opt out of getting x rays for my medical examination for permanent residency? I am very sensitive to radiation and don’t feel comfortable getting x rays.
It is a critical step, everyone has to take that.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there ,

Am I able to opt out of getting x rays for my medical examination for permanent residency? I am very sensitive to radiation and don’t feel comfortable getting x rays.
No

Reactions: Taran D

kylie1616

Star Member
Nov 29, 2022
Hi again,
So my restore my status application was just accepted and they granted me status here until September 30th, 2023. If my permanent resident application isn’t accepted before this date, does that mean I’ll have to leave and come back to restore my legal status again ?
Thanks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi again,
So my restore my status application was just accepted and they granted me status here until September 30th, 2023. If my permanent resident application isn’t accepted before this date, does that mean I’ll have to leave and come back to restore my legal status again ?
Thanks
Congrats!

No. If you have not received your PR by September 29th, just apply to extend your current status online. Once the extension application has been sent, you will have Maintained Status until you either do get your PR, or a decision regarding the extension request.

jackie42

Mar 29, 2023
I had similar situation. Common-law and how do I keep extending visitor status. etc. I had a immigration consultation who told me every re-entry, is a fresh 6 months. However, a border agent will use discretion as whether or not to let you in. US citizen, much better chance than someone fleeing a war zone. I could not keep myself within Canadian borders indefinitely while waiting for various applications to process. On re-entries, I was frequently met with very ticked off agents, but ultimately allowed me through. However, once my PR application was processing, and they were able to see that in the system, I had no issues again. That was land border. At YYZ with a US passport, no one bats an eye.

Reactions: Kayne

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi ,

I just received this email from immigration saying “
Kylie Marie Simone:
> FBI Clearance: You are required to provide an original FBI clearance certificate in support of your
application. If your FBI Clearance indicates any charges and/or convictions, you must also provide court documents detailing the disposition of each charge and the sentence of each conviction. Instructions to obtain a FBI Clearance can be found on our website: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical- police/police-certificates/how/united-states.html This must be received at this office by: 2023/08/04”

I looked on the link attached and it’s only giving me police certificates. Is this the same thing as fbi clearance?

thank you
Yes, that's the right link. If you read through it, you'll see it says FBI everywhere.

kylie1616

Star Member
Nov 29, 2022
And there’s a few links that come up on my browser from that link.
None of them say FBI I read through all the pages.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And there’s a few links that come up on my browser from that link.
None of them say FBI I read through all the pages.
You need an IHSR (Identity History Summary Report) directly from the FBI in West Virginia:
https://www.fbi.gov/how-we-can-help-you/more-fbi-services-and-information/identity-history-summary-checks

Which is the same as this:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/united-states.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Okay why in west Virginia ? Do I have to go there ? I live in Canada.
Please read through the instructions. All the info you need is in the links. The FBI address you must use is in West Virginia.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Okay why in west Virginia ? Do I have to go there ? I live in Canada.
Yes, you have to go there...o_O LOL!

Just follow the instructions! You first need to have your fingerprints taken (ink and roll) in Canada and put onto a physical card [FB-258?] that you then mail to West Virginia along with your application for the IHSR. You can likely find more than one qualified fingerprint technician in your area.

Do NOT attempt to take your own prints (nor should most people try to cut their own hair). You might consider having a second set of prints taken (ink and roll) in case there is an issue with any one of your `digits', which would lead to either a rejection or at least a delay.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi ,

I just received this email from immigration saying “
[Name redacted]:
> FBI Clearance: You are required to provide an original FBI clearance certificate in support of your
application. If your FBI Clearance indicates any charges and/or convictions, you must also provide court documents detailing the disposition of each charge and the sentence of each conviction. Instructions to obtain a FBI Clearance can be found on our website: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical- police/police-certificates/how/united-states.html This must be received at this office by: 2023/08/04”

I looked on the link attached and it’s only giving me police certificates. Is this the same thing as fbi clearance?

thank you
Suggest you redact your name from this!

Last edited: