+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Residency for convention refugee (Time and Process?)

momye_west

Jun 23, 2017
Hello
I was hoping someone could help me here since my legal aid appointed lawyer was not very helpful.
I am currently in Canada. I have been accepted as a convention refugee and have applied for/sent my
Permanent Resident application for protected person in June 2017. Can someone please tell me how long it takes to receive permanent residency and what the process is? Thank you!

Reactions: cpt_muller

champion92_pls

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
My case same as "Momye_west" .... I had applied for a refugee claim in Canada on Sep 2012 and I got my positive hearing on March 2017 ( waited alomst 5 years as a legacy file for what it's being called). Now I submitted my PR application and it was received on April 2017. On CIC site it says 65 days, but when i called it said 22 months. It's so confusing and which one is the correct one.
It's really not fair for me to wait another 2 years after this long wait. This process of wait, frustrations and the limitations that I've had has damaged my health.

Last edited:
Reactions: momye_west

champion92_pls

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
Hello
I was hoping someone could help me here since my legal aid appointed lawyer was not very helpful.
I am currently in Canada. I have been accepted as a convention refugee and have applied for/sent my
Permanent Resident application for protected person in June 2017. Can someone please tell me how long it takes to receive permanent residency and what the process is? Thank you!

momye_west: please let me know if you have any update regarding the realy processing time for the refugees. Thank you

momye_west

Jun 23, 2017
Hi so I talked to an agent yesterday. He explained the the 57-65 days on the CIC website is for a PR Card which is not the same as a PR Application. Your PR Application must first be accepted before you can get a PR Card. The PR application unfortunately takes up to 21 months. Because the first part of processing the application takes up to 10 months and the second part 11 months. During the wait, if you are considered a protected person or convention refugee, you can apply for an open work permit. The open work permit is free for all refugees and protected persons and is valid for 24 months. It takes about 57 days to receive if you apply online or about 100 days if you apply by paper/mail.

I know this process is so frustrating and long, I have had my share of depression and panic attacks over this whole matter. But hang in there my friend! I hope this can help anyone out there

champion92_pls

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
Hello, I made my claim in Alberta Canada in January 2017, My hearing was in March 2017, I got my Acceptance Letter in May 2017
I see that you applied recently in 2017. I had applied in 2012, and I waited for my hearing almost 5 years, and then another 2 years ...
So, I would be waiting for 7 years to get the PR. That's why when i said this is not fair for refugee claimants who had applied before the 2013.
I can't believe Canada is doing this!

momye_west

Jun 23, 2017
I see that you applied recently in 2017. I had applied in 2012, and I waited for my hearing almost 5 years, and then another 2 years ...
So, I would be waiting for 7 years to get the PR. That's why when i said this is not fair for refugee claimants who had applied before the 2013.
wow that is a really long time. did you try calling the Cic call center? they can check your file and see whats going on. even though they can't change anything they can give you more information.

champion92_pls

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
OH! wow! that's the worst, to wait that long and after that you get the rejection. No, that is not fair either. I would considier another option, to get your PR under your spouse' canadian status. That woudl save a lot of headech for you and guarantee your Canadian status.

Last edited:

champion92_pls

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
wow that is a really long time. did you try calling the Cic call center? they can check your file and see whats going on. even though they can't change anything they can give you more information.

I know it's long! .. No, i haven't .. but I will ...
I got sick from feeling un identified and 3rd class person which I had felt in my country, and since I moved to Canada, I feel the same way, statless person with limitations. Now I am 35 years old ... days and years are passing by; but, .. who's counting !!!!

Anyway, thank you so much for your help on this. Please keep this thread updated and I will do the and update when I call CIC.

nalax85

Aug 10, 2017
luck you!!! I was waiting for 5 years then rejected my case and guess what?? they couldn't send me for deportation because my country under civil war!!! stateless!! I'm clear criminal record, working full time job pay my own tax years and my wife Canadian Citizen. is that fair???
WHAT???
where are you from?

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
Well you see with other immigration stream and family sponsorship is faster because people pay all the fees and it should be that way that first other immigration stream and family sponorship and you guys are last sorry for being rude but you guys assume that claiming refugee jump the queue

momye_west

Jun 23, 2017
Well you see with other immigration stream and family sponsorship is faster because people pay all the fees and it should be that way that first other immigration stream and family sponorship and you guys are last sorry for being rude but you guys assume that claiming refugee jump the queue
Refugees DO pay fees for residency and no one is assuming "we" should go first (you clearly did not read or did not understand). He is just frustrated that he has been waiting 5 plus years. Honestly you are being rude and clearly don't have anything constructive to say here.

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
Refugees DO pay fees for residency and no one is assuming "we" should go first (you clearly did not read or did not understand). He is just frustrated that he has been waiting 5 plus years. Honestly you are being rude and clearly don't have anything constructive to say here.

i understand what he saying, but with its one fee did you pay the rrpf but there is back logged on your side i read in cbc yesterday here is the storyhttp://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/ottawa/delays-cancellations-ottawa-asylum-refugee-claimants-1.4242025. does not matter what immigration stream your doing there is waiting times. but right now the there is so many back log but other immigration streams pay for medicals,rrpf,owp if inland

Nina Dang

Jun 10, 2017
Hello guys,
I am a convention refugee too. I sent my PR application beginning of this month, when do you think I will receive the confirmation email (the first email from CIC)?