+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Application Question

bucajack

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018
Hi Folks. My wife and I have our oaths coming up on Feb 6th so I have started prepping for our passport applications so we don't waste any time afterwards. I have one quick question....wondering if anyone has any experience.

My wife applied for citizenship with her birth name as that's what was on her PR, her Irish passport, health card, drivers license etc. so her certificate will be issued in that name.

She would like to have her Canadian passport in her married name. We got married in Ireland so will Passport Canada accept an Irish marriage certificate to prove she is married and can use her married name or will they insist she use her Citizenship Certificate name?

Last edited:

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
Hi Folks. My wife and I have our oaths coming up on Feb 6th so I have started prepping for our passport applications so we don't waste any time afterwards. I have one quick question....wondering if anyone has any experience.

My wife applied for citizenship with her birth name as that's what was on her PR, her Irish passport, health card, drivers license etc. so her certificate will be issued in that name.

She would like to have her Canadian passport in her married name. We got married in Ireland so will Passport Canada accept an Irish marriage certificate to prove she is married and can use her married name or will they insist she use her Citizenship Certificate name?
Passport Canada issues the passport exactly the same written on Citizenship certificate.
So if you wish to have her married name on passport you need to change her name on citizenship certificate if you changed name due to marriage, you will need to complete the replacement citizenship certificate application and submit all the required supporting documentation plus you will need to submit a copy of your marriage certificate.
It will cost $ 75 and processing time is 5 months.

Last edited:

bucajack

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018
I just spoke to Passport Canada on the phone. Her passport can be issued in her married name as long as we have a marriage certificate and she has photo either her drivers license and health card in her married name too. They need the photo ID to match the name you want on the passport.

@KRP you only need to get a new certificate if you legally change your name. Assuming a married name is not a legal name change.

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011

Since on drivers licence & health card she has her birth name will they accept it?
I just spoke to Passport Canada on the phone. Her passport can be issued in her married name as long as we have a marriage certificate and she has photo either her drivers license and health card in her married name too. They need the photo ID to match the name you want on the passport.

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
Since on drivers licence & health card she has her birth name will they accept it?
She can easily update those to her married name!

bucajack

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018
She needs to visit Service Ontario first and have her OHIP card and Driver's License changed to her married name so she can use those photo ID.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
so basically the name change and passport application need to be treated as separate transactions. first the name change has to happen, then the passport application. am i correct?

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
so basically the name change and passport application need to be treated as separate transactions. first the name change has to happen, then the passport application. am i correct?
Yes, whether it is a legal name change or bringing marriage certificate only :)

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011

@KRP you only need to get a new certificate if you legally change your name. Assuming a married name is not a legal name change.
Yes , all the necessary changes need to be done before you land at Passport Canada office.

canirish2018

Nov 30, 2018

Hey,

We also got married in Ireland and when I started my application with my citizenship I requested to change my name at the beginning, as all my documents here apart from my irish passport had my married name. I sent off a copy of our marriage Certificate to them with my application, they have since updated their records to my married name. Im still waiting to do the test, so Im unsure if this helps you at all.

Good luck!

Reactions: EstherBarros

bucajack

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018
Hey,

We also got married in Ireland and when I started my application with my citizenship I requested to change my name at the beginning, as all my documents here apart from my irish passport had my married name. I sent off a copy of our marriage Certificate to them with my application, they have since updated their records to my married name. Im still waiting to do the test, so Im unsure if this helps you at all.

Good luck!
We were originally going to do the same thing as you but we didn't want to risk any issues with processing delays due to submitting an application in a different name.

canvan14

May 8, 2014
I am a bit confused with the passport versions. About a month ago I printed out a form that said "06-2018" R1 at the end of the first page. I checked the website last night, opened another form and now it showed "07-2017" R2 at the end of page 1. That's even an older version according to my understanding. The two forms are slightly different but the information contained is exactly the same.
Not sure how these forms work, if someone knows, please chime in!

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
I am a bit confused with the passport versions. About a month ago I printed out a form that said "06-2018" R1 at the end of the first page. I checked the website last night, opened another form and now it showed "07-2017" R2 at the end of page 1. That's even an older version according to my understanding. The two forms are slightly different but the information contained is exactly the same.
Not sure how these forms work, if someone knows, please chime in!
There are forms available at Passport Canada and the dates are of 07/2017. I went to Shoppers Drug Mart and got the latest form 06/2018. I have submitted using this 06/2018 forms.
There are also forms available of 2016.
The only difference after checking all the forms I found that in the checklist area especially Surname / Former names slight variation is there.
If you prefer the online version use it.
After reading many posts that if you fill online forms you get to bypass the queue quicker at the Passport office if submitting it personally over there is not true since I had gone personally there and there was a guy with a online print out who got ticket number B14 and me with a hand written form was ticket B 17. We both had to wait nearly an hour for our turns at the Passport office.

Last edited:

canvan14

May 8, 2014
There are forms available at Passport Canada and the dates are of 07/2017. I went to Shoppers Drug Mart and got the latest form 06/2018. I have submitted using this 06/2018 forms.
There are also forms available of 2016.
The only difference after checking all the forms I found that in the checklist area especially Surname / Former names slight variation is there.
If you prefer the online version use it.
After reading many posts that if you fill online forms you get to bypass the queue quicker at the Passport office if submitting it personally over there is not true since I had gone personally there and there was a guy with a online print out who got ticket number B14 and me with a hand written form was ticket B 17. We both had to wait nearly an hour for our turns at the Passport office.
Thank you for your response. One would assume the website will have the latest and official version of the form. Since multiple versions are still available to the public and they are all fundamentally similar, I don't think there will be a problem which one we use. I didn't know Shopper Drug Mart would carry passport app too. I'll use the 06-2018 version.