+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport after e Certificate

shayusuf247

Nov 10, 2019
Once I get Citizenship e-certificate, can I defer to apply passport for 3- 6 months.... i.e., Means can I still use my current passport to travel and not apply for Canadian passport for few months.. and then apply for Canadian passport after say 6 months?

Mitya-kun

Star Member
Feb 6, 2019
Once I get Citizenship e-certificate, can I defer to apply passport for 3- 6 months.... i.e., Means can I still use my current passport to travel and not apply for Canadian passport for few months.. and then apply for Canadian passport after say 6 months?
You have absolutely no obligation to apply for a Canadian passport at all. You can do it immediately after getting your citizenship, you can do it in a year, in 50 years or never at all.
However, if you're planning on travelling abroad you should know that you MUST enter Canada only with a Canadian passport. In other words, you're free to leave Canada without having a Canadian passport on hand, but you must have one to come back.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
If you talking about Indian passport as your primary tarvel document please remember you have only 3 months grace period to use from the date you take the Oath.

Mitya-kun

Star Member
Feb 6, 2019
got it, thanks.
Do you know if we can enter via land using e certificate
It seems like you can. As noted in the post you are referring to, CBSA has no right not to admit a Canadian citizen and they must be able to check that you are a citizen indeed. However, it might cause some delays on the border, I guess.
On the other hand, you can also apply for a Canadian passport abroad in a Canadian Embassy.

So, there're plenty of options.