+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Land border entry without citizenship certificate and some rants about discrepancies between government agencies

harrysummer

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
Just want to share some info with you all about my land border entry experience. I know some people may have to travel out of the country after the oath and are nervous about what the IRCC told them -- "if you don't have a certificate yet, hold off recent travel plans, otherwise you won't be able to come back", etc. However, what should be aware of is, IRCC doesn't control the border, CBSA does. So I hopped on a call with CBSA, and they said, after oath, you are a Canadian citizen, and we legally must admit you in. So what you can do is to show as many proof as you can to convince the border agent that you really are a Canadian citizen. No citizenship certificate? doesn't matter. Bring the notice to appear document. Bring the oath form that you signed. Show the officer photos you have taken with the citizenship judge, etc. So as long as you are honest and having these proofs, the border agency will make the best decision based on his judgment.

After making the call, I was more confident about the travel plan. So I did it, even though warned by the oath ceremony clerk. On the way back at the peace arch border crossing, I was using the regular lane and I just gave them the NEXUS card which was issued when I was a PR (so it's only linked with the PR card, not a citizenship certificate or Canadian passport). Along with it, I was also handing over the signed oath form. But the officer didn't even want it, directly gave it back to me. And then he returned my NEXUS card and waved good night!

So, what I am learning from this experience is that, the border agency is very flexible. And they don't want to risk being sued by rejecting a Canadian citizen to come back. If you have a travel plan, land border is open to you even if you don't have a citizenship certificate. Don't believe everything from IRCC regarding border control.

I think air travel may be a bit more complex though, because the airline needs a valid document to print the boarding pass. But, if you have a US visa on a foreign passport, you have the option to travel to a northern US city, rent a car and drive back.

canadian787

Oct 2, 2022
You are absolutely correct. There is a lot of misinformation going on around this topic.
As per Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms 6 (1) "Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada."
Charter trumps all laws, regulations and policies. CBSA cannot deny a Canadian Citizen entry regardless of passport. If you can successfully prove to a Border officer that you a citizen, they are obligated to allow you entry.

Having said all this, if you travelling via a commercial flight from overseas, there is nothing barring the airliner from denying you to board without a valid Canadian passport. They will simply not let you board with a "Citizenship Certificate". The above theory is only valid at land border crossings.

Reactions: shayusuf247