+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport - Abroad - Documents

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
Hello,

I’m going to be applying abroad for my passport and im wondering for ID can I submit my foreign passport or does it have to be drivers license .
I forgot to change my drivers license and it has my old address on it not updated one and im worried it might cause a problem.
Anyone in this situation. ?

thank you

Jakke

Star Member
Nov 6, 2021
Hello,

I’m going to be applying abroad for my passport and im wondering for ID can I submit my foreign passport or does it have to be drivers license .
I forgot to change my drivers license and it has my old address on it not updated one and im worried it might cause a problem.
Anyone in this situation. ?

thank you
Foreign passport is fine. That is what I submitted.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Did you get your passport abroad ? And did you come back to Canada with no problems ?
Thanks
why would there be problems? Embassies consular services are there for a reason, primarily to issue passports……

Reactions: Jakke

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
What do you think?
No, I got the passport, but I had problems coming back to Canada. Canadian passports issues overseas are not recognized on arrival in Canada.
Oh, it was also difficult to get the passport, because the embassy stated that the government is lying when it claims embassies can arrange for the issuance of passports.

My advice: get a lawyer and contact your MP and the Minister for Immigration,
Can you elaborate on the problems you faced returning to canada?
Which embassy did you deal with that told you govt is lying? As far as I know, all passports are issued/printed in Canada and then forwarded to embassies, the embassy then gives/mails to the client. Obviously some staff are more fast/efficient than others….

if you face issues at airports its due to name mixup issues, apply for a canadian travel number.(online), it may resolve the issue of delays at check-in, etc. There is no difference in passport issued to someone in canada vs abroad……all r canadian passports(just different methods and documents etc)
Ofcourse there can be issues if u have similar name to somebody on no-fly lists, plus religion, or from certain countries….thats geo-politics
kindly let us kniw what issues u faced so ppl can know/prepare

Jakke

Star Member
Nov 6, 2021
Can you elaborate on the problems you faced returning to canada?
Which embassy did you deal with that told you govt is lying? As far as I know, all passports are issued/printed in Canada and then forwarded to embassies, the embassy then gives/mails to the client. Obviously some staff are more fast/efficient than others….

if you face issues at airports its due to name mixup issues, apply for a canadian travel number.(online), it may resolve the issue of delays at check-in, etc. There is no difference in passport issued to someone in canada vs abroad……all r canadian passports(just different methods and documents etc)
Ofcourse there can be issues if u have similar name to somebody on no-fly lists, plus religion, or from certain countries….thats geo-politics
kindly let us kniw what issues u faced so ppl can know/prepare
You and the OP should start using your heads.

The OP wanted to know if using a foreign passport for ID was fine when applying for a Canadian passport. I told him it was; I know that because I had done it. And it worked worked because the government of Canada says it is sufficient. What's more, the application form when applying overseas indicates that you can use a foreign passport for ID: enter the nationality, passport number, expiry date, etc.

The OP then followed up with some absurd questions. I gave him "appropriate" answers. Would you too like some "appropriate" responses to your questions? Or can you and the OP figure out certain things from clear government directions and forms?

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
What do you think?
No, I got the passport, but I had problems coming back to Canada. Canadian passports issues overseas are not recognized on arrival in Canada.
Oh, it was also difficult to get the passport, because the embassy stated that the government is lying when it claims embassies can arrange for the issuance of passports.

My advice: get a lawyer and contact your MP and the Minister for Immigration,
Hi Jakke

I applied for my passport from the UK Canadian High Commission and yes it was printed and produced in Canada then dispatched to myself.

My question was what issues did you face? (If you don't mind elaborating on it). You mention that they didn't recognise on arrival into Canada, does that mean it simply wouldn't scan or did you have to go to secondary or what?

Cheers
Dal

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi Jakke

I applied for my passport from the UK Canadian High Commission and yes it was printed and produced in Canada then dispatched to myself.

My question was what issues did you face? (If you don't mind elaborating on it). You mention that they didn't recognise on arrival into Canada, does that mean it simply wouldn't scan or did you have to go to secondary or what?

Cheers
Dal
I believe his post above was sarcastic. Didn't convey online.