+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents with long-expired PR cards.. Can they visit me? Should they surrender PR and get super-visas?

carbo

May 29, 2014
Hi Everyone!!!

My parents were both PRs but have been overseas for the last 6-7 years, their cards have naturally expired. They were taking care of their elder parents and their businesses. I have become a citizen in 2017.

If they would like to freely visit me in Canada (and leave, as needed):
  • Should they enter as PRs but with expired cards, granted the 30-day grace period (if i remember correctly?) before being kicked out, but apply for some kind of status inside? what could that be?
  • Should they find a way to relinquish PR status overseas?
    • And get a normal tourist visa? Would a tourist application be affected negatively because they gave up the PR?
    • OR should I apply for a long term supervisa after they relinquish PR status? so they can come and go as they please? Would this be hard to get?

They are not ready to make a permanent move to Canada because of their commitments at home. But it would be nice if they can visit time to time before deciding to move for good. Is that greedy of them ? :)

They do not necessarily mind not being citizens for now...

Thanks so much! I know this question leaks over to many forum subject headings...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Everyone!!!

My parents were both PRs but have been overseas for the last 6-7 years, their cards have naturally expired. They were taking care of their elder parents and their businesses. I have become a citizen in 2017.

If they would like to freely visit me in Canada (and leave, as needed):
  • Should they enter as PRs but with expired cards, granted the 30-day grace period (if i remember correctly?) before being kicked out, but apply for some kind of status inside? what could that be?
  • Should they find a way to relinquish PR status overseas?
    • And get a normal tourist visa? Would a tourist application be affected negatively because they gave up the PR?
    • OR should I apply for a long term supervisa after they relinquish PR status? so they can come and go as they please? Would this be hard to get?

They are not ready to make a permanent move to Canada because of their commitments at home. But it would be nice if they can visit time to time before deciding to move for good. Is that greedy of them ? :)

They do not necessarily mind not being citizens for now...

Thanks so much! I know this question leaks over to many forum subject headings...
How are you planning on having them enter as PRs? To board a plane and fly to Canada, they will need to have either valid PR cards or a valid PR Travel Document. To get a PR Travel Document, they would have to prove they have very strong H&C reasons for having failed to meet the residency requirement. This will likely be difficult given how long they have been outside of Canada. Having said that, they can certainly try. The only alternative would be to fly to the U.S. and then enter Canada via a U.S/Canada land border using a private vehicle.

Yes, an alternative would be for them to renounce their PR status officially and then obtain a TRV or super visa to visit Canada.

Reactions: carbo

carbo

May 29, 2014
Thanks scylla - yes land border, but agreed it's a long shot..

again hypothetical: Would their visa applications whether Tourist or Super be given a hard time after renouncing PR?

i.e. "oh they are just looking for a way to sneak back in"/
"they renounced the PR, but now want to be tourists? they'll use that to settle back in"

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks scylla - yes land border, but agreed it's a long shot..

again hypothetical: Would their visa applications whether Tourist or Super be given a hard time after renouncing PR?

i.e. "oh they are just looking for a way to sneak back in"/
"they renounced the PR, but now want to be tourists? they'll use that to settle back in"
If you want to go the TRV or super visa route, your parents are better off renouncing PR themselves - vs. trying to enter Canada, being reported, and having PR revoked.

Reactions: carbo

carbo

May 29, 2014
Sure, yes they would do that in advance, from their local embassy/consulate. and then seek out a visa: for which i hope they wont be scorned upon!