+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents n Grand Parents 2023

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Any idea when this program is likely to open.
Based on previous years probably the fall but we have not idea what the requirements will be for this year and whether they will actually open up the program to new applicants or keep drawing down on the EOI that they have been using for multiple years.

bigfoot

Star Member
Nov 29, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/11/2016
Doc's Request.
09/02/2017 AOM and RPRF
AOR Received.
30/11/2016
File Transfer...
30/11/2016
Med's Request
upfront-passed
Med's Done....
07/05/2016
Passport Req..
13/03/2017
VISA ISSUED...
09/03/207
Based on previous years probably the fall but we have not idea what the requirements will be for this year and whether they will actually open up the program to new applicants or keep drawing down on the EOI that they have been using for multiple years.
If they do it's going to a real sadness for us. Because me and my wife have basically put our life on hold to be able to sponsor her parents and her sister. We finally meet the income requirements for the past 3 years. It's our only chance to be able to include her sister as she will still be considered a dependent but if they don't open to new applicants and open it to new ones the following year, her sister won't be a dependent anymore and we won't be able to include her sister.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If they do it's going to a real sadness for us. Because me and my wife have basically put our life on hold to be able to sponsor her parents and her sister. We finally meet the income requirements for the past 3 years. It's our only chance to be able to include her sister as she will still be considered a dependent but if they don't open to new applicants and open it to new ones the following year, her sister won't be a dependent anymore and we won't be able to include her sister.
It is not uncommon for people to wait for many years after meeting the 3 year income requirement before qualifying before getting selected to sponsor parents. There are people who have been waiting 10 years. The chances of getting selected right after you meet the 3 year LICO requirement is quite low. There also seems to be an attempt to prioritize those who have been waiting the longest because of the huge amount of people wanting to sponsor their parents and due to increased immigration the numbers only will continue to increase. The lotteries have allowed people to get selected after 3 years while other who have waited 10 years have not. The majority have entered the lottery multiple times before getting selected. How have you put your life on hold? To qualify you have to meet LICO which is very low to begin with. Most would be working no matter what and meet LICO just to afford to live in Canada.

Parent sponsorship has never been guaranteed and I wish the government was more upfront about the fact that it is never guaranteed and that qualifying after 3 years is very unlikely. Given our ageing population and our healthcare system in crisis the program could be reassessed at any point. Most countries do not allow parent and grandparent sponsorship with access to public healthcare because it is incredibly costly and most parents and grandparents never work in Canada or pay taxes. Your sister-in-law can qualify to immigrate just as you have so there are other options.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
It is not uncommon for people to wait for many years after meeting the 3 year income requirement before qualifying before getting selected to sponsor parents. There are people who have been waiting 10 years. The chances of getting selected right after you meet the 3 year LICO requirement is quite low. There also seems to be an attempt to prioritize those who have been waiting the longest because of the huge amount of people wanting to sponsor their parents and due to increased immigration the numbers only will continue to increase. The lotteries have allowed people to get selected after 3 years while other who have waited 10 years have not. The majority have entered the lottery multiple times before getting selected. How have you put your life on hold? To qualify you have to meet LICO which is very low to begin with. Most would be working no matter what and meet LICO just to afford to live in Canada.

Parent sponsorship has never been guaranteed and I wish the government was more upfront about the fact that it is never guaranteed and that qualifying after 3 years is very unlikely. Given our ageing population and our healthcare system in crisis the program could be reassessed at any point. Most countries do not allow parent and grandparent sponsorship with access to public healthcare because it is incredibly costly and most parents and grandparents never work in Canada or pay taxes. Your sister-in-law can qualify to immigrate just as you have so there are other options.
Even more so the Government mantra is we have an ageing population yada yada yada , that we obviously can’t take care as it is . Let’s call a spade a spade . Example is why millions do not having access to a family GP , wait years for elective surgery , housing shortage , millions using food banks . And to have a program that brings older people into the mix , one’s that haven’t worked or paid taxes into tax pot , is mystifying to be sure. This government isn’t representative of my best interests . It’s blatant
Have no clue why one would put their lives on hold when there was never a guarantee to sponsor parents , siblings etc . It’s one of the things one had to have thought of when they decided to immigrate.
I’ve put my life on hold as well . I want to move to another province. But the reason I’m putting it on hold is I’m not taking the chance on giving up my family GP.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How have you put your life on hold? To qualify you have to meet LICO which is very low to begin with. Most would be working no matter what and meet LICO just to afford to live in Canada.
They might want to have children but would not meet the requirements if they have additional family members.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They might want to have children but would not meet the requirements if they have additional family members.
If they are so close to LICO they should be considering whether they can afford to have children at the moment. LICO was increased to an even lower level due to Covid.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If they are so close to LICO they should be considering whether they can afford to have children at the moment. LICO was increased to an even lower level due to Covid.
As I said, in order to meet the LICO requirement, they probably can't afford to have children at the moment. That makes their life on hold.

bigfoot

Star Member
Nov 29, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/11/2016
Doc's Request.
09/02/2017 AOM and RPRF
AOR Received.
30/11/2016
File Transfer...
30/11/2016
Med's Request
upfront-passed
Med's Done....
07/05/2016
Passport Req..
13/03/2017
VISA ISSUED...
09/03/207
As I said, in order to meet the LICO requirement, they probably can't afford to have children at the moment. That makes their life on hold.
We can have children but we put that on hold along with other things because we realize that having children also means that one of us will have to stop working which also means no extra income coming in which in turn takes roughly 40k away for the year for one person. So we would no longer be eligible to sponsor her parents and sister. Because we will be lower than income requirements. We do realize that the chances of being selected is slim because we know of ones personally that waited 5 plus years and we also know of one that got selected right away. We are just hoping that it's open for new applicants and try even if we don't get selected. At least we tried :) this year will only be her sisters only chance for this route. But we also have other pathways in the works for her sister which she's been working on if it doesn't work out for this sponsorship.

Reactions: steaky