+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and grandparents Sponsorship 2018

gilldhil

Oct 16, 2017
Hello there, has anyone heard when Parents and grandparents sponsorship will be open in 2018 ?
TIA
Gil

hm82

Star Member
Jul 8, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
31-Dec-2012
AOR Received.
18-Jan-2013
Med's Done....
18-Aug-2012
Passport Req..
08-Mar-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-Apr-2013
LANDED..........
2-May-2013
Eagerly awaiting more information on the 2018 program. Anyone knows, how many people/applications were invited during the 2017 Parents & Grandparents program? The CIC website says 10,000 and then a few more in Round 2, but am hearing otherwise (a much larger number) from some immigration consultants.

karthik.andhamil

Jun 19, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Category........
FAM
Eagerly awaiting more information on the 2018 program. Anyone knows, how many people/applications were invited during the 2017 Parents & Grandparents program? The CIC website says 10,000 and then a few more in Round 2, but am hearing otherwise (a much larger number) from some immigration consultants.
When they invited 10000 applicants in April, they gave 90 days time to submit the application. They received only less than 1000 completed application. So, they invited another round. I think they haven't released that information yet.

Pearl1

Mar 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

Quick question - I got married this year. Can I still combine my spouse's income for previous two years (when we both filed taxes as single) for parents sponsorship ?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Quick question - I got married this year. Can I still combine my spouse's income for previous two years (when we both filed taxes as single) for parents sponsorship ?
Yes, as long as your spouse is a Canadian citizen/PR, you can add their income for past 3 years in order to qualify for parents LICO. Note your family size for all 3 years must include your spouse.

Pearl1

Mar 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, as long as your spouse is a Canadian citizen/PR, you can add their income for past 3 years in order to qualify for parents LICO. Note your family size for all 3 years must include your spouse.
Yes, we will be calculating it for our current family size. My concern is our status was single for past two years and have been married for only one year. My spouse's PR is expected in next few months. Once the pr status is received, we will try to sponsor parents.

Is it acceptable to add spouse's income for the years when we were not married OR do we have to be married for previous 3 years in order to combine the income as co-signer ?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Yes, we will be calculating it for our current family size. My concern is our status was single for past two years and have been married for only one year. My spouse's PR is expected in next few months. Once the pr status is received, we will try to sponsor parents.

Is it acceptable to add spouse's income for the years when we were not married OR do we have to be married for previous 3 years in order to combine the income as co-signer ?
As long as you're married and your spouse is a PR at the time you submit the application, their income as co-signer can be counted for 3 previous tax years.

Only your spouse's income earned while living in Canada and with CRA tax returns, can be included. This will either be going back to 2014 or 2015 (rules yet to be released). You can't count income if they were living/working in their home country.

Also you need to see how the lottery will be run. If they demand a co-signer's info and income is included at time of lottery, you may be ineligible to apply if your spouse has not received PR by the time lottery has expired. Again, you will need to wait and see what new rules are.

kkim604

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Visa Office......
Korea
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When they invited 10000 applicants in April, they gave 90 days time to submit the application. They received only less than 1000 completed application. So, they invited another round. I think they haven't released that information yet.
Did they kept drawing names until they had 10k? probably not...
if 1st round was 1k, 2nd round was probably less than that.

with old system, they would go through applications, rejecting incomplete/error applications, until they have 10k applications.
They make it sound like it's fair system, but less intakes then ever before.
Fair, yet less chance to get in....

Reactions: karthik.andhamil

iwolf

Jul 30, 2016
Don't know where you got this info. I was in communication with various ministers A LOT, and here is the info I gathered:
From the 2017 interest form over 100,200 submissions were received.
After duplicate entries were removed, the total was ~95,100 submissions.
Of these, 10k were randomly selected for the first round.
Of these 10k invitations, IRCC received a total of 6,020 PGP applications.
In the second round they sent 6500 invitations. So, considering the same success rate of ~60% as in the first round, they expect to receive ~3900 applications. So in total from two rounds they should have received approx 9920 applications, which is close enough to 10k.
I don't have the stats for how many applications were actually received from the second round.

---
So yes, under the current regulation it will take them 10 years just to accept the existing 95k of interested individuals, if everyone submits. But more people will become eligible every year, so even after 15 years of trying every year you are not guaranteed to be selected to sponsor your parents.

sunafi

Star Member
Jul 27, 2009
Don't know where you got this info. I was in communication with various ministers A LOT, and here is the info I gathered:
In the second round they sent 6500 invitations. So, considering the same success rate of ~60% as in the first round, they expect to receive ~3900 applications. So in total from two rounds they should have received approx 9920 applications, which is close enough to 10k.
I don't have the stats for how many applications were actually received from the second round.

---
So yes, under the current regulation it will take them 10 years just to accept the existing 95k of interested individuals, if everyone submits. But more people will become eligible every year, so even after 15 years of trying every year you are not guaranteed to be selected to sponsor your parents.

Dont beleve it, I have read immigration ministers interview, and he said, the immigration minister, out of 10k only 1k applied and there were few incomplete applications too. Which means approx 10% applies in round one... google it.. still need link, let me know...

Reactions: karthik.andhamil

iwolf

Jul 30, 2016
Dont beleve it, I have read immigration ministers interview, and he said, the immigration minister, out of 10k only 1k applied and there were few incomplete applications too. Which means approx 10% applies in round one... google it.. still need link, let me know...
I couldn't find the original source of those news, but it looks like:
1) that number was released by IRCC itself, so the source for this and my numbers are the same
2) it was released in June - half way through the initial acceptance period - while the application intake was until end of July
I think it's very reasonable that most people will be sending their applications closer to the end, simple human nature.
But who knows what's really going on there.

karthik.andhamil

Jun 19, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Category........
FAM

---
https://www.cicnews.com/2017/06/applicants-parent-grandparent-sponsorship-may-have-second-chance-069237.html#gs.S2wH50c

The IRCC representative confirmed that as of Thursday June 8, only 700 applications had been received from invited possible sponsors, of which 15 percent were incomplete.

Mik_38

Dec 21, 2017
is there any complication if my wife and myself apply separate applications for parents sponsorship but in each, we would co-sponsoring ourselves? she would like to sponsor her parents as well as I would like to sponsor mine also. To increase our income, we would be co-sponsoring each other for our individual application.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
is there any complication if my wife and myself apply separate applications for parents sponsorship but in each, we would co-sponsoring ourselves? she would like to sponsor her parents as well as I would like to sponsor mine also. To increase our income, we would be co-sponsoring each other for our individual application.
No complication. When you calculate LICO - you will both need to include yourself, your wife, her parents, your parents and any other dependents you have (e.g. children).