+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

parent grandparent pr program 2023 - intake form

Kate_20

Star Member
Aug 13, 2011
Well, it wasn't hidden that parents are not considered as part of the immediate family unit on IRCC website.
As you immigrated, it's the fact that you may be living in a different country than your parents. Good luck on the future lottery if that's the on-going process with IRCC for PGP. (they could stop PGP entirely which they did before)
Yes, naturally when you immigrate you cant bring your immediate family members next year but why not after 10 years if I have paid taxes and never been unemployed? Why cant I have my parents live in the same country before they die?? Why not? Taxes I pay take care of elderly parents of Canadian Born citizens, and elderly parents of Immigrants who came here 20+ years ago. How come my taxes cant even bring my own parents in the same country I live?

Kate_20

Star Member
Aug 13, 2011
Same here!
We need to speak up, we need to advocate for ourselves. Before our parents are alive and they can still enjoy their time with us. We dont have to worry about stamping visas, inland extensions, visa refusal, etc. It's unfair.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Reason I find it unconstitutional is because our government determines who is eligible for family reunification and who is not. They basically discriminate those people who do not have spouses and children - CIC recently came up with big news in May 2023 about importance of family reunification for sponsored spouses and children. If Im single, I dont deserve to have a family (what if my only family are my parents)? Spouse and children are considered family, but not parents? who defines a family? CIC does? How come married people have right to have family in Canada and govt does everything to reunite them... and single people have to play a lottery to be reunited with their family (parents)? is this constitutional? Isnt this a discrimination?

Second point, Canadian born citizens have their parents in Canada they never have to go through the same hardship and separation as naturalized citizens who have to play a lottery to live with their parents before they die. Naturalized citizens work hard to contribute to their country's economy + we also take care of Canadian born citizens' parents but our parents? We have to win them in lottery? Is this constitutional? Isn't this a discrimination? Same applies to naturalized immigrants who came here 20 years ago they had no prob bringing their parents in Canada, they did not have to play in lottery. Why US? Isnt this a discrimination? Maybe Im wrong?
Generally in US or Canada, parents are not considiered as part of an adult child's immediate family. Try claiming your parents to your work extended insurnace, or taking them to your work party that welcome "family" to join. That's a cultural difference that's not what IRCC alone is considering.

Canadian born citizens don't have a choice, they are in Canada (not all of them have parents in Canada, e.g. birth tourisim). Naturalized citizens have a choice, they choose to immigrate to a Canada. It's a major choice in ones life. I think 20 years ago, not as many people applied to bring their parents here. It's the number of application and the extremly long processing time for these applications that leaded to an attempt for solutions (e.g. limited applications first come first served with cut off, then lottery...etc)

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
We need to speak up, we need to advocate for ourselves. Before our parents are alive and they can still enjoy their time with us. We dont have to worry about stamping visas, inland extensions, visa refusal, etc. It's unfair.
not discouraging you to speak up. advocate for yourself and best wishes.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Reason I find it unconstitutional is because our government determines who is eligible for family reunification and who is not. They basically discriminate those people who do not have spouses and children - CIC recently came up with big news in May 2023 about importance of family reunification for sponsored spouses and children. If Im single, I dont deserve to have a family (what if my only family are my parents)? Spouse and children are considered family, but not parents? who defines a family? CIC does? How come married people have right to have family in Canada and govt does everything to reunite them... and single people have to play a lottery to be reunited with their family (parents)? is this constitutional? Isnt this a discrimination?

Second point, Canadian born citizens have their parents in Canada they never have to go through the same hardship and separation as naturalized citizens who have to play a lottery to live with their parents before they die. Naturalized citizens work hard to contribute to their country's economy + we also take care of Canadian born citizens' parents but our parents? We have to win them in lottery? Is this constitutional? Isn't this a discrimination? Same applies to naturalized immigrants who came here 20 years ago they had no prob bringing their parents in Canada, they did not have to play in lottery. Why US? Isnt this a discrimination? Maybe Im wrong?
It is not unconsititutional and is not discrimination per Canada's laws. It's totally fair to feel this is discriminatory and unconsititutional. However this isn't supported by actual laws - i.e. there's no legal argument here.

I would disagree that people who came 20 years ago had no problems bringing their parents to Canada. Lots of them had big problems - just different ones than the problems being faced now. Back then there were no application caps and processing times consequently ended up reaching 9-15 years. Parents had trouble getting TRVs while they waited (there were no super visas back then) and there are many cases where parents passed away or became too ill to pass the medical before they ever made it close to getting approved for PR. IRCC then suddently closed the program and canceled thousands of applications which had been under process for many years (in some cases a decade). It was an absolute disaster of a situation. Again, different than the mess we have now. But a mess all the same.

Reactions: YVR123

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
not discouraging you to speak up. advocate for yourself and best wishes.
I agree with this. By all means petition for change.

This is where an MP is the best route. There's no legal argument here so it has to be the politics route. Best opportunities are often just before an election.

Kate_20

Star Member
Aug 13, 2011
Generally in US or Canada, parents are not considiered as part of an adult child's immediate family. Try claiming your parents to your work extended insurnace, or taking them to your work party that welcome "family" to join. That's a cultural difference that's not what IRCC alone is considering.

Canadian born citizens don't have a choice, they are in Canada (not all of them have parents in Canada, e.g. born tourisim). Naturalized citizens have a choice, they choose to immigrate to a Canada. It's a major choice in ones life. I think 20 years ago, not as many people applied to bring their parents here. It's the number of application and the extremly long processing time for these applications that leaded to an attempt for solutions (e.g. limited applications first come first served with cut off, then lottery...etc)

IN US you CANNOT bring your parents? Says who? US Constitution considers immigrants parents as immediate family members and gives them right to sponsor them as soon as you are PR and have employment. US will never put parents in Lottery system as it's most unfair thing you can do to a human. Processing times are 6 months to 1 year. My friend immigrated in US 5 years ago her parents are both US PR as of today. I immigrated 10 + years ago in Canada and all I have done filing visa applications and playing lottery (unsuccessfully).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Canadian born citizens don't have a choice, they are in Canada (not all of them have parents in Canada, e.g. birth tourisim). Naturalized citizens have a choice, they choose to immigrate to a Canada. It's a major choice in ones life. I think 20 years ago, not as many people applied to bring their parents here. It's the number of application and the extremly long processing time for these applications that leaded to an attempt for solutions (e.g. limited applications first come first served with cut off, then lottery...etc)
The US actually allows parents to be sponsored and there's no cap on sponsorship. The issue with sponsoring your parents to the US is health care. Parents are generally older when you sponsor them and getting health care insurance is extremely expensive and unaffordable for many. So it's not an immigration limitation. US immigration law 100% allows this. It's a health insurance coverage / health care expense limitation.

Reactions: YVR123 and Kate_20

Kate_20

Star Member
Aug 13, 2011
It is not unconsititutional and is not discrimination per Canada's laws. It's totally fair to feel this is discriminatory and unconsititutional. However this isn't supported by actual laws - i.e. there's no legal argument here.

I would disagree that people who came 20 years ago had no problems bringing their parents to Canada. Lots of them had big problems - just different ones than the problems being faced now. Back then there were no application caps and processing times consequently ended up reaching 9-15 years. Parents had trouble getting TRVs while they waited (there were no super visas back then) and there are many cases where parents passed away or became too ill to pass the medical before they ever made it close to getting approved for PR. IRCC then suddently closed the program and canceled thousands of applications which had been under process for many years (in some cases a decade). It was an absolute disaster of a situation. Again, different than the mess we have now. But a mess all the same.
I did not know that and it's most unfair system anyone can imagine. I still think it's unconstitutional to give married people right to have family in Canada and be reunited with spouses and children and depriving the same family right to a single parson who's only family are her/his parents. Everyone under the law should have the right to a family without discrimination. My personal opinion.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
IN US you CANNOT bring your parents? Says who? US Constitution considers immigrants parents as immediate family members and gives them right to sponsor them as soon as you are PR and have employment.
Two technical correction. This is not covered in the US constitution. It's covered through US immigration laws.

Also, you cannot sponsor your parents as a US PR / green card holder. You can only sponsor them once you have US citizenship. PRs / green card holders are ineligible.

Reactions: Kate_20

Kate_20

Star Member
Aug 13, 2011
The US actually allows parents to be sponsored and there's no cap on sponsorship. The issue with sponsoring your parents to the US is health care. Parents are generally older when you sponsor them and getting health care insurance is extremely expensive and unaffordable for many. So it's not an immigration limitation. US immigration law 100% allows this. It's a health insurance coverage / health care expense limitation.
65+citizen parents have free healthcare in US. my friend's parents are 65+ who recently became PR they have everything free. Their children pay taxes so they have same rights as American born citizens' elderly parents.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
65+citizen parents have free healthcare in US. my friend's parents are 65+ who recently became PR they have everything free. Their children pay taxes so they have same rights as American born citizens' elderly parents.
This isn't really accurate. If you're interested, I can point you to a US immigration forum where the topic of insuring parents is discussed extensively.

Reactions: YVR123

Kate_20

Star Member
Aug 13, 2011
Two technical correction. This is not covered in the US constitution. It's covered through US immigration laws.

Also, you cannot sponsor your parents as a US PR / green card holder. You can only sponsor them once you have US citizenship. PRs / green card holders are ineligible.
Thanks for correction. Likely my friend got citizenship as her parents are both US permanent residents now.

I think all laws in US including immigration are in accordance with US Constitution. No bill can become a law if it violates US constitution.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Yes, naturally when you immigrate you cant bring your immediate family members next year but why not after 10 years if I have paid taxes and never been unemployed? Why cant I have my parents live in the same country before they die?? Why not? Taxes I pay take care of elderly parents of Canadian Born citizens, and elderly parents of Immigrants who came here 20+ years ago. How come my taxes cant even bring my own parents in the same country I live?
Because taxes are set up as a user pay system . The taxes YOU pay , are for when YOU eventually will have to use the system , not your parents. It was NEVER guaranteed when you chose to immigrate that your parents would be able to come . Part of the research one must do when they elect to move , or stay in their country

No clue why you’re bringing up another countries immigration rules . It’s irrelevant

And let’s not forget the elephant in the room, how the voters perceive the program , emphasis on program. It’s not a “ law”. Programs can be modified or terminated

Last edited:

Kate_20

Star Member
Aug 13, 2011
This isn't really accurate. If you're interested, I can point you to a US immigration forum where the topic of insuring parents is discussed extensively.
I person
Because taxes are set up as a user pay system . The taxes YOU pay , are for when YOU eventually will have to use the system , not your parents. It was NEVER guaranteed when you chose to immigrate that your parents would be able to come . Part of the research one must do when they elect to move , or stay in their country

No clue why you’re bringing up another countries immigration rules . It’s irrelevant

And let’s not forget the elephant in the room, how the voters perceive the program , emphasis on program. It’s not a “ law”. Programs can be modified or terminated

So YOU are telling me that Canadian Born Citizens and Naturalized Citizens DO NOT HAVE the same rights under the law? We are NOT equal? If we are equal why I DO NOT have right my parents to live in the SAME COUNTRY I LIVE? My parents are IMMEDIATE FAMILY Members! If you can take care of YOUR parents when they are old WHY CANT I take care of them? Because I am naturalized citizen? Is that your logic? AND Trust ME Taxes Naturalized citizens pay and jobs we take DO contribute to this country's economy greatly that you and your parents benefit from it as well! No Immigration law or FORM ever said that I will NEVER be able to bring my parents in the country I am immigrating!

I did not see ANYWHERE ON THE FORM OR CIC WEBSITE A NOTE SAYING - Hey you Kate you will NEVER be able to bring your parents in this country!

"The taxes YOU pay, are for when YOU eventually will have to use the system , not your parents" - THIS IS WRONG! TAXES I PAY TODAY ARE GOING TOWARDS ALL THE PROGRAMS CANADIAN PEOPLE BENEFIT FROM INCLUDING THE ELDERLY PARENTS OF CANADIAN BORN CITIZENS!