+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overprocessed citizenship and PR and non routine application

Jadanadar

Feb 1, 2019
Dear all

I need advice on what to do as I’m getting mentally drained here.

I applied for citizenship with my kids in November 2017. At that point we had spent 3 years and 5 months inside Canada.

I requested urgent processing as my oldest is a cadet and was considering joining military college or reserve forces in the summer.

I received an invitation January 2018 for the test and interview, and I provided my kids school reports and copies of all our passport stamps ( all travel stamps are identical as we travelled together except for one business trip for 2 weeks that I took alone.)

The interview went well and the officer said I should hear from them in 6 months.

Few days later I found that there was a mistake in the dates of my business trip dates ( I changed my travel dates as I booked another ticket on different days ) so I sent an apology letter with the dates ( by web form) and they acknowledged receipt. I didn’t think I had anything to worry about since I had extra 5 months of residency.

As we approached summer I sent another web form notification that I’d be travelling out of the country in the dates so and so so reachable through so and so.

I also sent a copy of my new work contract by web.

I’m August 2018, we applied for PR renewal with my husband ( who wasn’t on the citizenship application as he didn’t meet the residency requirements but had frequent travels as he works for a canadian company )

The problem is that since then both applications are in process.

My husband has been unable to come to Canada since then, and we are unable to leave.

I called IRCC many times and my MP office did too and was told that security checks were finished and they are investigating residency obligations.

Last September I had an emergency health condition and was under treatment and my husband was unable to come take care of the children

So I sent an email to our PM explaining my situation and requesting answers.

I received an answer from the office of the minister of immigration that my application is “ not routine” and may take longer than usual “

Few weeks before that I had received a response from IRCC to follow up with them and to re-contact them feb 27, 2019, if I haven’t heard from them.

Has anyone been in a similar situation ?

Anyone been asked to follow up ?

What does non routine mean?

What is usually more likely to be finished first ? PR or citizenship ?

Is our PR application delaying our citizenship ? Should we withdraw PR renewal file and have my husband apply for renewal separately ?

What do I expect ? Any hope for a DM and oath invitation soon ?

Do I need a lawyer ?
Any advice is appreciated

Jadanadar

Feb 1, 2019
Thank you for the information. Is my application transferred non routine because of the information I communicated after the test ? Can’t think why it was considered non routine :(

jiguashu

Apr 10, 2011
Dear all

I need advice on what to do as I’m getting mentally drained here.

I applied for citizenship with my kids in November 2017. At that point we had spent 3 years and 5 months inside Canada.

I requested urgent processing as my oldest is a cadet and was considering joining military college or reserve forces in the summer.

I received an invitation January 2018 for the test and interview, and I provided my kids school reports and copies of all our passport stamps ( all travel stamps are identical as we travelled together except for one business trip for 2 weeks that I took alone.)

The interview went well and the officer said I should hear from them in 6 months.

Few days later I found that there was a mistake in the dates of my business trip dates ( I changed my travel dates as I booked another ticket on different days ) so I sent an apology letter with the dates ( by web form) and they acknowledged receipt. I didn’t think I had anything to worry about since I had extra 5 months of residency.

As we approached summer I sent another web form notification that I’d be travelling out of the country in the dates so and so so reachable through so and so.

I also sent a copy of my new work contract by web.

I’m August 2018, we applied for PR renewal with my husband ( who wasn’t on the citizenship application as he didn’t meet the residency requirements but had frequent travels as he works for a canadian company )

The problem is that since then both applications are in process.

My husband has been unable to come to Canada since then, and we are unable to leave.

I called IRCC many times and my MP office did too and was told that security checks were finished and they are investigating residency obligations.

Last September I had an emergency health condition and was under treatment and my husband was unable to come take care of the children

So I sent an email to our PM explaining my situation and requesting answers.

I received an answer from the office of the minister of immigration that my application is “ not routine” and may take longer than usual “

Few weeks before that I had received a response from IRCC to follow up with them and to re-contact them feb 27, 2019, if I haven’t heard from them.

Has anyone been in a similar situation ?

Anyone been asked to follow up ?

What does non routine mean?

What is usually more likely to be finished first ? PR or citizenship ?

Is our PR application delaying our citizenship ? Should we withdraw PR renewal file and have my husband apply for renewal separately ?

What do I expect ? Any hope for a DM and oath invitation soon ?

Do I need a lawyer ?
Any advice is appreciated

jiguashu

Apr 10, 2011
I am not a lawyer but a common person like you. Normally, if you have completed your PR renewal first and then will apply for citizenship, it would be the best. But if your husband would like to come to Canada, i think he can apply for travel document which he will get if complied PR residency Obligation. Seems this would be the best option for your family. Once CIC approve either your PR renewal Or citizenship, then Your husband can leave Canada, if wants to leave. Most of the PR applications go for secondary Investigation only when travel dates not matched by CBSA (customs dept). so better to provide them all boarding pass, if have.