+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Outland PR spouse sponsorship] Does short term travel to US affect sponsor's eligibility?

newusprpr

Jul 23, 2021
Hi all,

I moved from US not long ago as a new PR. Just a few days ago I submitted spouse sponsorship for my wife who's not currently in Canada (married for 10+ years). I just found out I need to make a trip to US to take care of some situation with our US house (we are planning to sell it but not until we find one in Canada). I probably will stay in US for two weeks before returning. Will this travel plan affect the sponsorship application? Should I postpone it ? Will IRCC see that I am outside of Canada and think I am not eligible to sponsor?

Thanks a lot!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi all,

I moved from US not long ago as a new PR. Just a few days ago I submitted spouse sponsorship for my wife who's not currently in Canada (married for 10+ years). I just found out I need to make a trip to US to take care of some situation with our US house (we are planning to sell it but not until we find one in Canada). I probably will stay in US for two weeks before returning. Will this travel plan affect the sponsorship application? Should I postpone it ? Will IRCC see that I am outside of Canada and think I am not eligible to sponsor?

Thanks a lot!
PR-sponsors must reside in Canada but short trips are explicitly permitted, so you should be okay.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/spousal-sponsorship-query.725093/page-2#post-9269584

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

Thanks a lot!
No issues. Go ahead.

newusprpr

Jul 23, 2021
PR-sponsors must reside in Canada but short trips are explicitly permitted, so you should be okay.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/spousal-sponsorship-query.725093/page-2#post-9269584
A related question:

I don't have my first PR card yet. I remember the CSBA officer telling me I can use the COPR stapled on my passport to re-enter Canada, and I remember seeing posts here saying the same. But I don't find any official source online stating so. All I found is that I need to apply for a PRTD to re-enter. Is this true?

Thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
A related question:

I don't have my first PR card yet. I remember the CSBA officer telling me I can use the COPR stapled on my passport to re-enter Canada, and I remember seeing posts here saying the same. But I don't find any official source online stating so. All I found is that I need to apply for a PRTD to re-enter. Is this true?

Thanks!
If by road, copr will be fine. If by air, you'll need prtd to board the plane.

So either go by road or fly from an airport in USA and get there by road.

Reactions: newusprpr