+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Original Entry Date on CoPR not corrected

ukulele

Jun 27, 2013
Thank you for this truly helpful info! This will be helpful for many people I think. In particular, and that is not to be underestimated, the peace of mind that this gives us :)
I sometimes wonder why people (including me starting this thread) start stressing about something and do not call IRCC... Yeah I know sometimes you draw an agent who is either not very experienced or just unwilling to help... But God, what a simple solution it is... They don't penalize you for something that you had 3-4 years to do... She even said that it is very common and people apply for amendments before their citizenship application...

The conclusion of this is we should always call IRCC first before posting our fears and insecurities here... I am really surprised that something I have been stressing about for good 2-3 weeks has a very simple solution without any penalties and draw backs...

nikki89

Jul 17, 2014
I have the same problem, my original entry date and last entry date are the same, but when I do flagpole at the border, the officer didn't even ask about it and I didn't tell him either. I received the PR card but now I have to submit the amendment to CIC.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5218-request-amend-record-landing-confirmation-permanent-residence-valid-temporary-resident-documents.html

In that link, they require "3. Photocopy of one (1) piece of government issued or internationally recognized identification from outside Canada before your entry to Canada indicating that an error was made in recording your information. ", so I used my national ID card, have to have it translated and notarized and it costs money!

but better to correct it anyway, is that right?

I sometimes wonder why people (including me starting this thread) start stressing about something and do not call IRCC... Yeah I know sometimes you draw an agent who is either not very experienced or just unwilling to help... But God, what a simple solution it is... They don't penalize you for something that you had 3-4 years to do... She even said that it is very common and people apply for amendments before their citizenship application...

The conclusion of this is we should always call IRCC first before posting our fears and insecurities here... I am really surprised that something I have been stressing about for good 2-3 weeks has a very simple solution without any penalties and draw backs...

jickson

Dec 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Honestly, many IRCC agents are not nearly as knowledgeable as people on this forum!

sriinn

Star Member
May 28, 2020
I found a solution. I was just on hold for 29 minutes with IRCC.

Luckily, I drew a very nice a knowledgeable lady who knew exactly what strategy to apply in such cases.

Here is what she suggested and what I am doing...

1. Apply to correct it, since citizenship is not the only process you need it for, you need it for Canada Pension Plan down the road...

2. You do not have to wait for it to be corrected and then apply for Citizenship, one application does not prevent another. Both entities (Citizenship processing department and Amendments department only need photocopies, so the original does not go anywhere, it stays with you).

3. If at the time of your citizenship application you still have not received the confirmation that your document has been corrected, which is likely the case in my case, simply write a letter of explanation with a copy of email confirmation (they will send you one once they have received your application for amendment) and IRCC will take it. They will not return your application simply because you have not had time to correct it.

4. She did say though that it is not 100% mandatory to do it all...

I'd like to thank everyone for their input... I am submitting my amendment application today, and if it does not come back, I will still apply for citizenship with a peace of mind that I have done my due diligence...
I have received my COPR. similar to you,there is mistake on the original entry and its from my side. As per latest Pr process, i had share the information. when they ask about original entry, i gave the entry date based on my work permit entry and i didnt inform about original entry which was a vacation to Canada for four days. i was not sure about intent, so informed only my WP entry date including notes as based on Work permit in the email sent to the officer.
With Covid, application processing itself too slow and am not sure how long this correction will take.
so, is it really mandatory do it?
and what am i going to loose if i don't update?
and can i do after an year hoping things will be good by then? and this document has validity of one year. after the expiry do we still need it?

Thanks in advance.

shravan95

Star Member
Feb 2, 2019
I found a solution. I was just on hold for 29 minutes with IRCC.

Luckily, I drew a very nice a knowledgeable lady who knew exactly what strategy to apply in such cases.

Here is what she suggested and what I am doing...

1. Apply to correct it, since citizenship is not the only process you need it for, you need it for Canada Pension Plan down the road...

2. You do not have to wait for it to be corrected and then apply for Citizenship, one application does not prevent another. Both entities (Citizenship processing department and Amendments department only need photocopies, so the original does not go anywhere, it stays with you).

3. If at the time of your citizenship application you still have not received the confirmation that your document has been corrected, which is likely the case in my case, simply write a letter of explanation with a copy of email confirmation (they will send you one once they have received your application for amendment) and IRCC will take it. They will not return your application simply because you have not had time to correct it.

4. She did say though that it is not 100% mandatory to do it all...

I'd like to thank everyone for their input... I am submitting my amendment application today, and if it does not come back, I will still apply for citizenship with a peace of mind that I have done my due diligence...
Hi did you receive your correction of COPR ? How did citizenship process go ?
I am in the samesituation. IRCC told me it doesn’t affect anything.
however reading all these comments on this forum is confusing me.
kindly help

thanks