+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Original Entry Date on CoPR not corrected

ukulele

Jun 27, 2013
Hi everyone,

I will be concise. I landed in 2014 with a mistake in original entry date on my CoPR. At the time, CBSA officer that was landing me and my hubby informed me that it is of no significance and also added that the rules for citizenship were such, that it did not matter anymore (pre PR credit was not available anymore as per C-24).

I forgot all about it. Now I am waiting for the date of the new 3/5 rule and even though I do not really need to count any pre PR credit, since I have more than 3 years anyways, I looked at my CoPR and remembered that everyone told me not to worry about it and I never took any steps to correct it.

Is that going to be an issue?

I still have my old passport with the original entry date in 2011, but my CoPR states entered Canada in 2013, so that mistake stole 2 years from me, even though they don't really matter.

Being a perfectionist I'd love to correct that now, but I don't wanna wait up to 6 months just to amend my CoPR when I could be applying for citizenship soon.

Will they accept letter of explanation with a notarized copy of my original entry stamp? Surely CBSA and IRCC have my original date of entry on the system and they should be able to check that. I would hope so.

If anyone applied with mistakes on CoPR, I would really appreciate your input.

Last edited:

ukulele

Jun 27, 2013
Thanks. I know HOW to correct the mistake. I don't want to do it because 1. It's not my mistake 2. It costs money 3. It's probably not necessary since it is a common mistake 4. It takes a lot of time and i have heard from people that they will not correct dates, only names, d.o.b. etc.

My question is whether this is an issue at all and whether a letter of explanation is needed since I have all the proof.

Anyone else who has experience/knowledge re this common issue?

pancanada

Mar 4, 2017
Thanks. I know HOW to correct the mistake. I don't want to do it because 1. It's not my mistake 2. It costs money 3. It's probably not necessary since it is a common mistake 4. It takes a lot of time and i have heard from people that they will not correct dates, only names, d.o.b. etc.

My question is whether this is an issue at all and whether a letter of explanation is needed since I have all the proof.

Anyone else who has experience/knowledge re this common issue?
Doesn't matter who's mistake, it's need to be corrected. It doesn't cost any money, it's free. I got it done. simple form & documentation. received correction in 6 weeks.
you need COPR at the time of Citizenship application. Letter of explanation is not accepted.

ukulele

Jun 27, 2013
Doesn't matter who's mistake, it's need to be corrected. It doesn't cost any money, it's free. I got it done. simple form & documentation. received correction in 6 weeks.
you need COPR at the time of Citizenship application. Letter of explanation is not accepted.
I don't think it is mandatory for it to be corrected. Otherwise half of the applications would be returned. This is such a common mistake that easily 30-40% of applicants have it. Only a small portion of ppl dealing with any aspect of immigration participate in this forum, and even here most people don't corrrct it after they land. CBSA at the time of landing most often just either say "don't worry", or simply ignore it. Don't get me wrong, if I wasn't qualified for citizenship yet, I would be correcting it, I simply was stupid to ignore it for 3+ years, but there is no way such a common mistake will get your application returned. It would have to be in tge guide... I will call IRCC to confirm though, I am not dismisding what you are saying. It's good to hear that you got yours corrected in 6 weeks. If you do not mind me asking, which mistake did you correct? Original date of entry as well or something else?

Anyone else guys? Anybody applied with CoPR not corrected?

ukulele

Jun 27, 2013
Once again, in no way am I dismissing what you are saying. I will call IRCC to confirm, and if I am wrong, I will admit my ignorance.

However, I would like to hear from somebody who applied for citizenship without correcting it, cuz I think tgere must be a lot of such people considering how vast this mistake on CoPR is.

It just defies logic that they say don't worry during landing, and then it becomes an issue after they instructed you not to worry, don't you agree?

HeroMember

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
My copr has a wrong entry date as well. The cbsa officer said the same thing as well that don't worry abt it. Can somebody please help in this regard? Do we need correct it? Also, is copr a required document in the document checklist?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Also, is copr a required document in the document checklist?
Sorry to be that direct, but have you considered just looking at the document checklist on the CIC website instead of having other people look for you?! It is literally the first result coming up if you put "Document Checklist Citizenship Canada" in google.

HeroMember

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
Sorry to be that direct, but have you considered just looking at the document checklist on the CIC website instead of having other people look for you?! It is literally the first result coming up if you put "Document Checklist Citizenship Canada" in google.
Thats not my main question. I am trying to ask a different thing here that if we need to correct the original entry date on the copr. Thats the main intent of my post. If you cannot answer that, you dont really need to select just one part of mu question and respond in such a rude way.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Thats not my main question. I am trying to ask a different thing here that if we need to correct the original entry date on the copr. Thats the main intent of my post. If you cannot answer that, you dont really need to select just one part of mu question and respond in such a rude way.
I wasn't intending to be rude. It is the point of forums to help people help themselves. So I wanted to point out that this info is available on the CIC website. I even started with "Sorry to be that direct" to tone it down a bit.

Anyways, regarding the other question: Border officers seem to say "don't care about it". Some people here in the forum say they had it corrected just to be safe. I am, on the other hand, certain that people's applications got approved despite that mistake on the CoPR since it is a very common mistake.

So I would recommend that if you have some months until you are going to be eligible anyways, there is no harm in submitting the application to have it changed. If you have the documentation of your original entry it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to assemble the documents and in fact you don't even pay a fee for it. On top of that, you don't have to submit any original documents, only photocopies. So there is nothing to lose when doing it I would say.

If, on the other hand, you planned to apply for citizenship right now I'm not sure if it really would be worth waiting several months just to have an entry on a document corrected that they can easily check is not correct through their records.

That's my take on the situation.

HeroMember

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
I wasn't intending to be rude. It is the point of forums to help people help themselves. So I wanted to point out that this info is available on the CIC website. I even started with "Sorry to be that direct" to tone it down a bit.

Anyways, regarding the other question: Border officers seem to say "don't care about it". Some people here in the forum say they had it corrected just to be safe. I am, on the other hand, certain that people's applications got approved despite that mistake on the CoPR since it is a very common mistake.

So I would recommend that if you have some months until you are going to be eligible anyways, there is no harm in submitting the application to have it changed. If you have the documentation of your original entry it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to assemble the documents and in fact you don't even pay a fee for it. On top of that, you don't have to submit any original documents, only photocopies. So there is nothing to lose when doing it I would say.

If, on the other hand, you planned to apply for citizenship right now I'm not sure if it really would be worth waiting several months just to have an entry on a document corrected that they can easily check is not correct through their records.

Thanks a lot for your answer, spyfy. Sorry about the misunderstanding. Appreciate your help on this.

Reactions: spyfy

ukulele

Jun 27, 2013

Thanks a lot for your answer, spyfy. Sorry about the misunderstanding. Appreciate your help on this.

I found a solution. I was just on hold for 29 minutes with IRCC.

Luckily, I drew a very nice a knowledgeable lady who knew exactly what strategy to apply in such cases.

Here is what she suggested and what I am doing...

1. Apply to correct it, since citizenship is not the only process you need it for, you need it for Canada Pension Plan down the road...

2. You do not have to wait for it to be corrected and then apply for Citizenship, one application does not prevent another. Both entities (Citizenship processing department and Amendments department only need photocopies, so the original does not go anywhere, it stays with you).

3. If at the time of your citizenship application you still have not received the confirmation that your document has been corrected, which is likely the case in my case, simply write a letter of explanation with a copy of email confirmation (they will send you one once they have received your application for amendment) and IRCC will take it. They will not return your application simply because you have not had time to correct it.

4. She did say though that it is not 100% mandatory to do it all...

I'd like to thank everyone for their input... I am submitting my amendment application today, and if it does not come back, I will still apply for citizenship with a peace of mind that I have done my due diligence...

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I found a solution. I was just on hold for 29 minutes with IRCC.

Luckily, I drew a very nice a knowledgeable lady who knew exactly what strategy to apply in such cases.

Here is what she suggested and what I am doing...

1. Apply to correct it, since citizenship is not the only process you need it for, you need it for Canada Pension Plan down the road...

2. You do not have to wait for it to be corrected and then apply for Citizenship, one application does not prevent another. Both entities (Citizenship processing department and Amendments department only need photocopies, so the original does not go anywhere, it stays with you).

3. If at the time of your citizenship application you still have not received the confirmation that your document has been corrected, which is likely the case in my case, simply write a letter of explanation with a copy of email confirmation (they will send you one once they have received your application for amendment) and IRCC will take it. They will not return your application simply because you have not had time to correct it.

4. She did say though that it is not 100% mandatory to do it all...

I'd like to thank everyone for their input... I am submitting my amendment application today, and if it does not come back, I will still apply for citizenship with a peace of mind that I have done my due diligence...
Thank you for this truly helpful info! This will be helpful for many people I think. In particular, and that is not to be underestimated, the peace of mind that this gives us :)