+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Options to leave Canada then enter again... please help

cheerybeast

Feb 12, 2024
I am in Canada currently. I have a visitor (student) visa and study permit both of which will expire July 30. I want to visit my country in early May and stay there until the end of August. My question is can I apply to extend my visitor visa right now so that I will have a valid visa to come back in August? Would they renew my TRV beyond the validity date of the study permit if I apply to renew right now?

The thing is I will be graduating in mid April and I am planning to apply for PGWP right away but I don't think it will be approved in time before I leave. The worse case is I will have to come back before both my study permit and TRV expires (before July 30), but I really would like to stay for a longer time.

What options do I have? Thank you..any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am in Canada currently. I have a visitor (student) visa and study permit both of which will expire July 30. I want to visit my country in early May and stay there until the end of August. My question is can I apply to extend my visitor visa right now so that I will have a valid visa to come back in August? Would they extend my TRV beyond the validity date of the study permit?

The thing is I will be graduating in mid April and I am planning to apply for PGWP right away but I don't think it will be approved in time before I leave. The worse case is I will have to come back before both my study permit and TRV expires (before July 30), but I really would like to stay for a longer time.

What options do I have? Thank you..any help would be greatly appreciated.
Extensions are only good for remaining in Canada. You need a valid TRV to return. The extension won't let you return.

Reactions: YVR123

cheerybeast

Feb 12, 2024
Extensions are only good for remaining in Canada. You need a valid TRV to return. The extension won't let you return.
I know the extension to the study permit wouldn't let me return, which is why I am asking if I apply to new my TRV from within Canada, would they renew it beyond the validity of the study permit?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I know the extension to the study permit wouldn't let me return, which is why I am asking if I apply to new my TRV from within Canada, would they renew it beyond the validity of the study permit?
Why don't submit the application and see for the result?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No, I'm saying that an extension to your TRV will not let you return. You asked about applying for an extension in your post. An extension is the wrong thing to apply for. You need to apply for a new TRV - not for an extension or visitor record. Yes, you can apply for a new TRV from within Canada. I would do that asap since they can take a long time to process.