+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

open work permit?

mrs B

Star Member
Dec 5, 2009
What is an open work permit and what do you need to get it, is it even worth getting? also do you still have to extend visitor permit, if you get an open work permit???

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
An open work permit allows the person to work for any employer or even many part time jobs but it is not widely available.

You can get an open work permit if you are:

- a spouse being sponsored inland who had already received first stage approval
- a live in caregiver applying for PR who has received first stage approval
- a spouse of an international student in Canada
- a spouse of a TFW who is on a skilled work permit (skill level 0, A or B)
- a refugee at some point in the application stage (I assume first stage approval also)

And then there are specific open work permits for example for students to work along with school or after graduation and there are also working holiday programs for young people from different countries where they may be able to work in Canada for 1-2 years on an open permit.

sgnv

Star Member
Jun 11, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08/01/2010
an Open Work Permit (OWP) will allow you to work legally while waiting for your PR approval and landing, this OWP is issued when your application under the Sponsorship Family Class reaches the 1st Stage of Approval or Approval in Principle (AIP).

I'd suggest you to send your application for OWP along with your sponsorship application & PR applications. In th event your application reaches AIP, immigration will issue an OWP right away, instead of waiting for immigration to send you a letter telling you to do so, 'cause if you send this application later, you've to wait longer to obtain it due to the current processing times.

I believe this applies for Inland Applications only. Call CIC and double check.

mrs B

Star Member
Dec 5, 2009
Thanks for the response guys.......we have our AIP the letter stated we can also apply for OWP but were not sure if we should and if we do do we still need visitor permit. can you work anywere with an OWP?? and yes we are doing an inland appl

suenim

Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2010
Med's Done....
April 2010
Interview........
NONE
LANDED..........
April 2011
mrs B said:
Thanks for the response guys.......we have our AIP the letter stated we can also apply for OWP but were not sure if we should and if we do do we still need visitor permit. can you work anywere with an OWP?? and yes we are doing an inland appl
You can usually work anywhere. Sometimes the permit will note if you can't work in certain areas (childcare or healthcare). An OWP gives you valid temporary status so you would not need a visitor permit. Apply for it as soon as you can if you want your hubby to start working now. Congrats on the AIP. You're almost there.

sgnv

Star Member
Jun 11, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08/01/2010
mrs B said:
can you work anywere with an OWP?? and yes we are doing an inland appl
An OWP allows you to work anywhere in Canada, for any employer.
OPEN = NO RESTRICTIONS in your permit (childcare/healthcare except)

In this case you don't have to go through the hassle of requesting your employer to obtain a Labor Market Opinion (LMO) to Service Canada, in order to be able to work.

When does your visitor visa expire? if you have it valid 'til your PR is approved, better to just send your application for OWP, it should say that in the letter of approval you got from immigration.

Your best shot is to call CIC and ask if you need to re-apply for a visitor visa along with your OWP application.

suenim

Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2010
Med's Done....
April 2010
Interview........
NONE
LANDED..........
April 2011
sgnv said:
An OWP allows you to work anywhere in Canada, for any employer.
OPEN = NO RESTRICTIONS in your permit (childcare/healthcare except)

In this case you don't have to go through the hassle of requesting your employer to obtain a Labor Market Opinion (LMO) to Service Canada, in order to be able to work.

When does your visitor visa expire? if you have it valid 'til your PR is approved, better to just send your application for OWP, it should say that in the letter of approval you got from immigration.

Your best shot is to call CIC and ask if you need to re-apply for a visitor visa along with your OWP application.
I have an open work permit and it does say "OPEN" on it and authorized to work with ANY employer. It also states not authorized to work in childcare, primary or secondary school teaching or health services field occupations. I stated that SOME permits will say that because I guess it depends on if you did a medical etc... not sure. At the time I got the permit I had not done any medicals because my country does not require medicals to enter Canada. I came on a study permit. For people who have been granted AIP, it may be different since more than likely they would have done an immigration medical to submit the PR application.

mrs B

Star Member
Dec 5, 2009
so if you get an owp do I also have to have a visitor permit?? and if you have to have both can you then travel abroad?? and were do you get an owp I cant seem to find it on the cic site

W

waynevega

Mine is open and doesn't have any restrictions. It is valid until the same date as my TRV. You won't find any info about it on CIC website. It can only be issued to in-land spousal applications that have been given First Stage of Approval.

mrs B

Star Member
Dec 5, 2009
yeah we got aip already they said we can apply for an open work permit, but can not find the documents for it, also can we travel when we have both??

W

waynevega

I applied for it on-line under the tab "Apply online (in Canada)" which is displayed on the main page.
As you can only apply for it while in-process for an in-Canada spousal application, you are not supposed to leave the country.

Black-Berry

Jul 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville And Nanaimo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25/01/10
Doc's Request.
27/07/10
File Transfer...
20/10/10
Interview........
November 29th, 2010
LANDED..........
March 29th, 2011
Attached please find the link for the Open work permit form.
You can not use this to re-enter Canada though. you MUST apply for a visa if you are not from a visa-exempt country.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/assets/pdfs/e_wchecklist.pdf

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

AE0626

Aug 16, 2010
Hi everyone, I have been reviewing this thread and have a question myself..

My husband is ready to submit my inland applicantion.. would it be possible to apply for the PR first then wait for the first stage approval before I apply for a Work Permit? Or is it advisable to apply for both PR and Work permit at the same time?

Thanks for you help..

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
If you apply for the OWP and the inland PR application together, in the same envelope, then they will process the OWP automatically as soon as they grant AIP. That means you will get the OWP sooner than if you wait for the AIP letter to arrive, then apply for the OWP.

OWP does not mean you can leave Canada safely. You still have to satisfy the IO that you are a genuine temporary resident when returning, and while they are supposed to facilitate re-entry in that situation, they know you plan to live in Canada permanently and have strong ties, so if they have any doubts you would leave if refused, they could deny you entry. With an outland app that wouldn't matter, but with an inland app that would eventually result in the app being refused simply because you are no longer in Canada, and being in Canada is a requirement of that application class.

It's a personal decision, but not one that should be taken lightly. If the need to leave Canada is sufficient that you would be willing to start the PR application process again, then by all means, but I wouldn't recommend leaving without a really good reason - there is a risk involved.

vonster

Star Member
Jan 5, 2010
so if you are being sponsored as a spouse, inland,
you should send your OWP application together with the sponsorship/pr application...

what about your visa extension application?
should this be sent together or separately?

thanks