+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit to spouse on arrival at Port of entry in Canada

pixydust

Feb 16, 2022
Thank you for this discussion forum answering the questions that newbies like me. Appreciate your help and efforts.

Update: We carry Indian passports (as my post is still waiting for moderators to approve close to ~3 hours, I am updating it here).

I would like to ask for information about the open work permit for spouses at the port of entry having NOC O, NOC A, and NOC B entering Canada.
  1. Can she/he get an open work permit immediately upon arrival at the airport?
  2. What documents are required? (please list if possible)
  3. How long it may take to complete the process at the port of entry if this is possible?
Note: In my case, I will be entering the US as a spouse.

I did search for posts and threads and I couldn't find any answers. Please navigate to the post or thread if this was answered earlier.

Thank you.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for this discussion forum answering the questions that newbies like me. Appreciate your help and efforts.

I would like to ask for information about the open work permit for spouses at the port of entry having NOC O, NOC A, and NOC B entering Canada.
  3. How long it may take to complete the process at the port of entry if this is possible?

I did search for posts and threads and I couldn't find any answers. Please navigate to the post or thread if this was answered earlier.

Thank you.
What passport do you hold?

pixydust

Feb 16, 2022

Update: We carry Indian passports (as my post is still waiting for moderators to approve close to ~3 hours, I am updating it here).

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thank you.
Since your spouse has an Indian passport, applying for an open work permit at the port of entry is not possible.

There are two options for the spouse. One is to enter Canada on a TRV and then apply for the open work permit from within Canada.

The second is to apply for the open work permit from outside of Canada and wait for it to be approved before entering Canada.

Reactions: pixydust

pixydust

Feb 16, 2022
Since your spouse has an Indian passport, applying for an open work permit at the port of entry is not possible.

There are two options for the spouse. One is to enter Canada on a TRV and then apply for the open work permit from within Canada.

The second is to apply for the open work permit from outside of Canada and wait for it to be approved before entering Canada.
Thank you for taking time and answering.

I did ask this question as another family who got Canada work visa carrying Indian passports were asked at the port of entry by the officer if spouse wants to apply for work permit? The officer also mentioned it will take a few hours and they have to wait until they process and get him the work permit. But as he was not intended to stay in Canada and work, so, he mentioned not required and he chose to enter as visitor. (He got H1B so he didn't took that option). This happened~ 2 months back. I am not sure if something has changed recently?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for taking time and answering.

I did ask this question as another family who got Canada work visa carrying Indian passports were asked at the port of entry by the officer if spouse wants to apply for work permit? The officer also mentioned it will take a few hours and they have to wait until they process and get him the work permit. But as he was not intended to stay in Canada and work, so, he mentioned not required and he chose to enter as visitor. (He got H1B so he didn't took that option). This happened~ 2 months back. I am not sure if something has changed recently?
I'm not aware of this being possible for non-visa exempt passport holders.

Reactions: pixydust

pixydust

Feb 16, 2022
One last question: (sorry )
What if I apply from outside Canada for an open work permit after the main applicant intra company visa and my temporary resident visa are approved, and then I travel to Canada? Do I need to start the process again by applying for open work permit inside Canada or they will continue to process without any issues?