+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit - for Spouse of International Student

indusvision

Sep 8, 2008
Hi All,

I am a full-time international student in Canada on study-permit since September 2009. I am also getting Research-Assistanceship (RA) from my university.

I got married last month in my home country. Now, I want to bring my wife to Canada to live with me, until I study here (my expected graduation is till year 2013).

I searched on the CIC website for any information about 'student-dependent visa' or visa for spouse of international students, but I could not find any information. The CIC website provides information only about visit, work or study visas. But as I explained, my wife just want to come a student-dependent to live with me during the time I study in Canada. So, I am not sure which visa exactly she should apply for?
Like many other countries (UK, Australia, USA), there is spouse visa or student-dependent spouse visa. But Canada seems not to offer such visa I guess.

Should my wife apply for TRV first? but that is just a visit visa.
Or should she apply for Open Work permit? or I should apply for her Open Work Permit ?

I am sorry, I am really confused right now. I would be very thankful to you for any information that could help me getting into the process!

I have read on the discussion forum that many people who apply for visit visa (TRV) to Canada to join their spouse get rejected with an objection of "no ties to home country". I want to avoid this problem. May be if I first apply for Open Work permit for my wife and then she apply for the visa to travel to Canada?

Any ideas, please do let me know. Thanks a lot!

sekhon

Aug 5, 2010
Since you guys are already in Canada, i would say the best is to call immigration office and ask them in more detail. They have toll-free numbers.

vibez_well

Mar 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
BIQ, HK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2011
AOR Received.
Jul 2011
There is nothing like student's dependent visa. the spouse has to apply for a TRP (Temporary residence Permit [visa]). She will have to 'visit' you ! :)

for this you have just to follow the TRV checklist on the VFS site.. assuming you are Indian.

once she is there, you can extend the TRV. The process is pretty straightforward and simple. I keep saying this to ppl... so saying this again... :) prove that the wife is just visiting and will come back to home country.

for this, show land, investments etc in home country. This is the deciding factor.

Rules allow you to bring your wife to Canada.

OPW: you cant apply for this. this is to be applied at the 'Port of entry' when she lands.

all the best indusvision ! and do come back and post abt how the whole thing went.... Cheers !

vibez_well

Mar 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
BIQ, HK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2011
AOR Received.
Jul 2011
you can also go thru the threads in the 'visitors' section of this forum.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/visitors-b8.0/

suenim

Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2010
Med's Done....
April 2010
Interview........
NONE
LANDED..........
April 2011
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-spouse.asp

Your spouses CAN apply for open work permit as long as you are enrolled full time and have a valid study permit. The OWP is valid for the same length as your study permit.

mansari

Star Member
Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
cpp-ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2013
Doc's Request.
PCC sent with application
AOR Received.
08-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
12-08-2013
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
hi,
if my wife wishes to join me in Canada, she needs to apply...but tell me something..does she require to visit the embassy/consulate to submit her docs..or does she has to mail everythin and wait. how long does it take???

vibez_well

Mar 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
BIQ, HK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2011
AOR Received.
Jul 2011
mansari said:
does she require to visit the embassy/consulate to submit her docs..or does she has to mail everythin and wait.
she can mail it across to teh consulate - but that will take longer.
its better to submit it at any of the VFS centres. then you get a tracking number also. you can track the 'movement' of the passport on the site.

http://www.vfs-canada.co.in/

schumacer

Star Member
Oct 19, 2012
Hi Guys,

new to this forum...can someone please help me

My Profile
Work Ex - 4 years in IT
GMAT 710
Admission - Admitted to Schulich School of Business for Jan 2013 intake

I will be applying for student visa soon..

questions regarding my visa

1) as per new rules on VFS website, I must show receipt of 1st year fees + $10000 through GIC or in bank account -> This statement is under the documents labelled "STRONGLY RECOMMENDED" . Now hypothetically if I pay college fees and end up getting visa rejected then I wont get any refund, so can't I just show my bank balance = 1st year fee + $10000?

2) Do we need to personally hand over the file at VFS or through courier? Which one is recommended?

3) my study permit is enough and I don't need to apply for TRV right?

I got married in March 2012...My wife is already an MBA with 2 years work ex..
I want to take her with on an OWP

1) Which option is better , we both apply together or first I get my student visa , and after that she applies for OWP

2) does she need to apply separately for TRV or is it covered in the OWP itself?

I am from Pune, India

Chintan.patel

Oct 19, 2012
Category........
FAM
Regarding working hours for SINP in Saskatchewan

Myself Chintan Patel and I regularly update my knowledge about Canadian immigration through canadavisa.com. It is really very helpful website.
I am an Indian citizen and came Canada on one year post graduate program which I have completed recently in August 2012. After than I moved to Saskatchewan and right now I am in Regina.

I have some questions regarding the work permit and working hours in Saskatchewan.

My first question is that sir, can I get 3 years work permit after doing another 1 year course? (means 1 + 1 year)

and my another question is that how my working hours will count in Saskatchewan? I have to work for 1920 hours to eligible for SINP. suppose that if I do 2 jobs at same time than my both jobs hours will count in working hours or not? How long SINP process will take time after application?

waiting for your reply.

Thank you,
Chintan Patel

Oct 22, 2015
hi sir , i have completed my 2 year studies from niagra collg . now i have applied for my work permit and i want to call my husband to canada . so what is the best way to call him . should i apply from canada or india . plzzz i m so confused let me know about ths.
thanx

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

supriya pankaj said:
hi sir , i have completed my 2 year studies from niagra collg . now i have applied for my work permit and i want to call my husband to canada . so what is the best way to call him . should i apply from canada or india . plzzz i m so confused let me know about ths.
thanx
1. He has to apply for a TRV (visitor visa) from India, with proof of your status in Canada. Also if he wishes and open work permit, you have to submit proof of your job and that it is skilled in NOC A, B or O. So you will have to submit a copy of your job experience letter from the employer and proof of one paycheck.