+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit for spouse of international student

lauryb26

Jan 30, 2013
Hi there,

I am new at this and been struggling to figure out if under a full time English program for my wife I am going to be able yo obtain an Open Work Permit as her dependent. I have a MSc degree in Computer Sciences from an American university but I am latin american. So I have read if she is enrrolled in a Designated Institution as full time student I can obtain the Open Work Permit for the same time she holds a valid Study Permit. Has somebody got a Open Work Permit as dependent of a ESL student?

Thanks soo much.
Did you get it? My friends are in the same boat

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Shilly-G

Oct 30, 2017
Hey Guys,

Need your help. I have read almost all the threads on this forum regarding student dependent visa. Please guys , I am requesting the members who have been through the same phase and been successful , do let me know whether my husband can apply for work permit alongside my student visa ?
I am planning for MS.. the total fees(2 years) is around 30k CAD, so how much funds do we need to show?

I have 7 years of experience as system Admin and now planning for MS INCS. and My husband is an HR.
I hope our job profile/qualification is good enough.

Shilly-G

Oct 30, 2017
Hello Guys, I'm very new to this forum and will need your help. I have received a conditional acceptance from a college in Canada. I only need to take the academic test for IELTS and meet the band requirements to receive a full acceptance. Meanwhile, I have started my application for a student permit in the CIC website(I haven't submitted it yet because I'm still gathering other required documents). I'm not going through any agency so I'm just reading the instructions in the CIC website. Here are my questions:

1.) I have indicated in my ongoing CIC application that I will be bringing my husband with me. Does he need to apply separately from me by creating a separate CIC profile? I have read several posts in the website but I find it confusing.
2.) based on one cic article (apologies, I'm not allowed to post links), my husband can apply for a work permit if i am full time student and have a valid work permit. Does this mean that he should the apply, after my student permit has been granted? I'm confused about the order when he can apply for this. we are planning to go to Canada at about the same time period.

thanks so much for any help you guys can provide!
Hi JenniferChua,

was your application successful ? I am in the same situation right now.

adil2095

Dec 24, 2017
Hey Guys,

Need your help. I have read almost all the threads on this forum regarding student dependent visa. Please guys , I am requesting the members who have been through the same phase and been successful , do let me know whether my husband can apply for work permit alongside my student visa ?
I am planning for MS.. the total fees(2 years) is around 30k CAD, so how much funds do we need to show?

I have 7 years of experience as system Admin and now planning for MS INCS. and My husband is an HR.
I hope our job profile/qualification is good enough.
In my opinion, you only need to show 1st year fee + living expense you and your family like 10,000 +4000 only no need to show complete course fee, but if your bank statement is strong, it is good and helpful to make your case strong

Priyakumaran

Jun 21, 2017
@vatish

I applied for my wife and I together, study permit for myself as the principal applicant and open work permit for my wife as my dependent.

Many people apply alongside their spouses at the same time so i dont think its much of an issue whether you apply together or differently. Only thing is, you have to thoroughly satisfy the visa officer that you and your spouse will leave canada at the expiration of your visa.

I am not much of an authority on this (u know we all share experiences on this thread to help each other out ;)) but i will tell u the additional documents i added to my wife's open work permit application to prove that i still intend to leave after my studies even tho i came with my family;

- Marriage certificate

- Notarized scanned copies of her educational certificates to show she is employable in any general work

- I filled a seperate Family information form for my wife (showing details of her close blood ties with her relatives who are all residents of my home country)

- Pages of my wife's passport showing stamped visas of all the other countries we have visited together before my present application to CIC (this is to prove we left those countries even before the expiration of our visas PLUS we like traveling to everywhere together like two peas in a pod. One needs the other for emotional support)

- Letter of explanation stating candidly why i need her to come along.

- Letter of reference from her present employer to canadian consular office stating that they are aware she intends to visit and spend some time in canada with her spouse (pls note that Cic didn't ask for this. I just wanted to remove any suspicion over what happens to her work while she dashes off to live a year or two in canada. I didnt like the idea of resignation. That may seem to the visa officer like once she gets another job in canada, she will not want to leave the country again

If you intend to apply online, it will be much easier for you to remember and upload all the right documents once you generate your personal checklist code.

For the Proof of Funds part, since its just you and your wife, you should be looking at total of your tuition, health and living expenses for one year as is shown on your acceptance letter plus an additional $4000 CAD for your wife as your dependent. If you intend to also take dependent kids along, add $3000 CAD per kid.

For a specific calculation of exactly how much you will need to show in your bank statement, visit Cic official website and find the documents you will need for study. You will see the breakdown of how much you will need to show according to the province you ll be studying

Again, like i said before, i am not an authority on this matter. I JustJoined the forum recently after submitting my application 2weeks ago. All the info i've given you is based on my own personal application experience and people's help thru this thread. I pray to see a favorable response from Cic soon. Once am successful, i'll tell u

I hope this helps
Hi there,

I am new at this and been struggling to figure out if under a full time English program for my wife I am going to be able yo obtain an Open Work Permit as her dependent. I have a MSc degree in Computer Sciences from an American university but I am latin american. So I have read if she is enrrolled in a Designated Institution as full time student I can obtain the Open Work Permit for the same time she holds a valid Study Permit. Has somebody got a Open Work Permit as dependent of a ESL student?

Thanks soo much.

Priyakumaran

Jun 21, 2017
Sorry for starting a new thread for this issue but I could not find any recent discussion on this topic. I have got admission as a full time student in Canada and my wife will also be joining me. We are planning to apply for an open work permit for her.

Can you guys please share your knowledge on this? I need information like what is the probability of getting open work permit? what can be reasons for rejection? what can I do to make my application stronger? When should we apply for her permit? Should we wait till my visa is approved and then apply for her? How much funds do we need to show? etc etc

My wife has 3 years of experience as HR manager.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Hi guys,

My case is like i got student visa and i am in canada.but now i dnt know how can i bring my family here? Due to higher visa rejection. I didnt apply for my family during my visa application.if anybody knows please tell me the step by step procedure of applying owp and visa for my kid.

Surag

Jan 10, 2018
Sorry for starting a new thread for this issue but I could not find any recent discussion on this topic. I have got admission as a full time student in Canada and my wife will also be joining me. We are planning to apply for an open work permit for her.

Can you guys please share your knowledge on this? I need information like what is the probability of getting open work permit? what can be reasons for rejection? what can I do to make my application stronger? When should we apply for her permit? Should we wait till my visa is approved and then apply for her? How much funds do we need to show? etc etc

My wife has 3 years of experience as HR manager.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.
Hi guys,

My case is like i got student visa and i am in canada.but now i dnt know how can i bring my family here? Due to higher visa rejection. I didnt apply for my family during my visa application.if anybody knows please tell me the step by step procedure of applying owp and visa for my kid.[/QUOTE]

Hi !

Can you please advice, for students visa once we get a letter of acceptance from the college , whether the visa officer can deny the visa & for Proof of funds if the course is for 2 years do we have to show the complete fees for 2 years .

Thanks
Suraj