OhCanada77

Star Member
Oct 18, 2015
England
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

By the time i get my PR my son will be about 14 or 15 and i'm worried about how he will fit into school in Ottawa.

Does anyone have any experience of schooling for this age in this area?

Thanks in advance :)

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
Hi there,

to be honest, I don't think it really matters what city he moves to. And by the way just saying Ottawa but not which district / area doesn't help a lot. That could make a difference.

My daughter was about 12 when we moved to Canada and she had the best time of her life when it comes to School. Took a while to learn English, but after 6 month she did just fine. Today no one would know that she's not a Canadian - no accent like her mom Lool

It depends on your son. What kinda guy is he? Is he outgoing? Is he interested in sports? How about friends?

Look at the Schools, talk to teachers, find out about the programs they offer and choose the one that suits your son's interest the most beside the overall good-/bad School impression.

Don't be too scared or worried, most kids (from the German community though) I know did great, no matter what age.

Good luck!!

OhCanada77

Star Member
Oct 18, 2015
England
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for replying.

Looking at Hintonburg/Centretown/down town hopefully. He's not massively sporty at the moment (11 next month) but has a great sense of humour. Can be a little sensitive but has a good group of friends though that will change when he starts senior school in September and has new people around him. I think his sensitivity worries me. It's going to be a huge change for him you know?

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
Sorry to see you being so worried!

You know you can be worried about his sensitivity but you could also see that as a good thing! When we moved to Canada I was so happy for my daughter because of all the different classes the School offered (Middle School back then). Finally she was able to like School. She could put her schedule together and chose some classes that fit her character. She became a very good student (straight A and Honor Roll all the time) and, Graduation was nothing she had to worry about (back in Germany would have been a different story, that's for sure).

Maybe the two of you look at a few Schools (we did) and maybe he has a feeling whats good for him. Kids change a lot during High School and most of the time it's for the best.

Good luck!!