09-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-19-2011
VISA ISSUED...
05-16-2011
Manny

Totally forgot about that one...Yup that is the X factor in all of the timelines. Very very possible that detailed background checks will skew the timeline and yes that is totally on a individual basis.

Lightsinthemist

Manny said:
We are forgetting the back ground check conducted by CIC as part of the due diligence. If applicant hasn't traveled around much and all PCC/FBI clearances are in place then there's a good chance for their file to move faster. If the applicant gets selected for a detailed check then it may get delayed. These checks may delay process but I think are crucial and necessary.

hsetin

Star Member
Jul 29, 2009
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-11-2012
AOR Received.
11-12-2012
File Transfer...
11-12-2012
Med's Done....
01-11-2012
Passport Req..
01-03-2013
Landing Experience

Alright Folks,
Here is a quick post about my Landing experience this weekend- AINP Candidate Landing in Canada through Buffalo.
Feel free to shoot some questions, I will respond in a day or two.
I drove to Buffalo and stayed overnight and presented myself in my car and some luggage next morning at the border.

At Canadian Border Checkpoint , the Officer asks the purpose of my visit and I tell him that I am immigrating today, He welcomes me in gruffy loud voice - Welcome to be greatest country in the world.
He enters some information on a yellow card and returns my passport with the card and I am asked to pull over at one of the spots and go and present my papers and this card in the office.

No one in queue for Immigration, The lady officer reading a Stephen king Novel, quickly takes a look at my papers and again asks me the purpose of visit and explains me the residency requirement of staying there 3 out of 5 consecutive years, or else I will loose my residency, she asks me if I am staying in Toronto, I explain her that I am entering in Toronto as this is closest to where I live and I intend to later move to Alberta and therefore I have an Alberta address of a friend. She asks me the address where PR card should be sent and I give her my Calgary address. And At the end of discussion, I told her that if I will be going back to US, and that I have to bring more stuff from there and I might drive or fly with my goods. She said that I can come and go as I please, and there will be no problem, but I can not take a commercial airliner, unless I have my PR card and that it would take between 2-4 weeks. No more questions on that.

She asks for my medical form (It was mentioned on my COPR, I have a medical condition and would need to see the doctor when I move there, later I realize that she forgot to return it back to me, and I have to call CIC to know how to get it back or if I need it at all)

She asks me if I had applied for Green Card in US , and I tell her that I have not. She asks about my job situation, and when I am planning to move and I tell her that I am looking for jobs, and had no luck so far and I intend to move in a few weeks.
She asks about my intention to import car, and explains the paper work needed, and inquires about the cash I am carrying, notates all this information, She also explains me a few other formalities, and asks me to take my car title to the lady on the other counted who would enter my list of goods and vehicle import information. Folks you can not sell a car in less than a year without paying the import duty. So only bring a car if you intend to use it for a long time, and also the automobile should be bought more than 6 months before you move. Also as you might have already read on the forum, the auto insurance rates are pretty high and in some cases even more than double of US rates, even for a good driving record.

However the same car will have additional 10-12 % interest if you buy in Canada (Not super sure, please check this information).

The next lady officer takes about 15 minutes for the list of goods to be certified / copied and also fills in some additional forms for CAr Import. All done in about 30 minutes and I walk out of the door and start driving to Toronto.
I go to get the SIN number after my first cup of Tim Horton's, and I get it all done in less than 15 minutes, again no queue. I think early morning is the best time to get all these things done.

Next Stop my local hotel reservation in downtown Toronto, Lunch (some thai food) and than I head to Royal Bank of Canada. RBC Ontario is not same as RBC Alberta and therefore I had a pretty tough time explaining RBS staff that although my temporary SIN card and Landing papers say that the address is Calgary, I still want to get a bank account in Ontario, to start a credit history and to get a temporary debit card.
I would recommend you guys to go to TD bank as they also have branches in US, and I think they are offering zero monthly fee for new accounts by "newcomers".

Couple of observations (may be biased or incorrect, or specific to downtown Toronto only)-

Cons-
 Almost everything was 10- 20% more expensive -postage, cab, gas, parking, cable, my favorites subway and Pizzahut too :(
 A few parts of Toronto can use some serious trash collection, and graffiti removal (like southeast DC).

Pros -
 Cultural diversity is pretty amazing, even more than DC.
 People are undoubtedly more courteous and helpful , and nice. From customs to customer care , and everywhere, even strangers.
 This weekend was a special weekend for Toronto, there was an all night cultural festival, the entire downtown was lit and the place was very happening, I can definitely live in this kind of atmosphere.
 Infrastructure is good with Trams and Buses used by all demographics and so many people use bicycles in downtown, even as late as as 10 PM at night, and not for exercising but for going to work, and even visiting each other, just like Amsterdam and other European cities, (although I did not see 3 people riding the same bicycle,so a little different from europe may be).
 Very Safe neighborhoods (to the best of my knowledge)

Overall a very good experience and to top it off with a visit to Niagara Falls made it an awesome trip. Now its time to find a job in Alberta and make my final moving arrangements.

josephdadreamer

Nov 24, 2008
Re: Landing Experience

Congrats!!! Neatly said and Done.

Oh please let there be more Passport request so we could already be like hsetin. ;) ;) ;)

hsetin said:
Alright Folks,
Here is a quick post about my Landing experience this weekend- AINP Candidate Landing in Canada through Buffalo.
I drove to Buffalo and stayed overnight and presented myself in my car and some luggage next morning at the border.

At Canadian Border Checkpoint , the Officer asks the purpose of my visit and I tell him that I am immigrating today, He welcomes me in gruffy loud voice - Welcome to be greatest country in the world.
He enters some information on a yellow card and returns my passport with the card and I am asked to pull over at one of the spots and go and present my papers and this card in the office.

No one in queue for Immigration, The lady officer reading a Stephen king Novel, quickly takes a look at my papers and again asks me the purpose of visit and explains me the residency requirement of staying there 3 out of 5 consecutive years, or else I will loose my residency, she asks me if I am staying in Toronto, I explain her that I am entering in Toronto as this is closest to where I live and I intend to later move to Alberta and therefore I have an Alberta address of a friend. She asks me the address where PR card should be sent and I give her my Calgary address. And At the end of discussion, I told her that if I will be going back to US, and that I have to bring more stuff from there and I might drive or fly with my goods. She said that I can come and go as I please, and there will be no problem, but I can not take a commercial airliner, unless I have my PR card and that it would take between 2-4 weeks. No more questions on that.

She asks for my medical form (It was mentioned on my COPR, I have a medical condition and would need to see the doctor when I move there, later I realize that she forgot to return it back to me, and I have to call CIC to know how to get it back or if I need it at all)

She asks me if I had applied for Green Card in US , and I tell her that I have not. She asks about my job situation, and when I am planning to move and I tell her that I am looking for jobs, and had no luck so far and I intend to move in a few weeks.
She asks about my intention to import car, and explains the paper work needed, and inquires about the cash I am carrying, notates all this information, She also explains me a few other formalities, and asks me to take my car title to the lady on the other counted who would enter my list of goods and vehicle import information. Folks you can not sell a car in less than a year without paying the import duty. So only bring a car if you intend to use it for a long time, and also the automobile should be bought more than 6 months before you move. Also as you might have already read on the forum, the auto insurance rates are pretty high and in some cases even more than double of US rates, even for a good driving record.

However the same car will have additional 10-12 % interest if you buy in Canada (Not super sure, please check this information).

The next lady officer takes about 15 minutes for the list of goods to be certified / copied and also fills in some additional forms for CAr Import. All done in about 30 minutes and I walk out of the door and start driving to Toronto.
I go to get the SIN number after my first cup of Tim Horton's, and I get it all done in less than 15 minutes, again no queue. I think early morning is the best time to get all these things done.

Next Stop my local hotel reservation in downtown Toronto, Lunch (some thai food) and than I head to Royal Bank of Canada. RBC Ontario is not same as RBC Alberta and therefore I had a pretty tough time explaining RBS staff that although my temporary SIN card and Landing papers say that the address is Calgary, I still want to get a bank account in Ontario, to start a credit history and to get a temporary debit card.
I would recommend you guys to go to TD bank as they also have branches in US, and I think they are offering zero monthly fee for new accounts by "newcomers".

Couple of observations (may be biased or incorrect, or specific to downtown Toronto only)-

Cons-
 Almost everything was 10- 20% more expensive -postage, cab, gas, parking, cable, my favorites subway and Pizzahut too :(
 A few parts of Toronto can use some serious trash collection, and graffiti removal (like southeast DC).

Pros -
 People are undoubtedly more courteous and helpful , and nice. From customs to customer care , and everywhere, even strangers.
 This weekend was a special weekend for Toronto, there was an all night cultural festival, the entire downtown was lit and the place was very happening, I can definitely live in this kind of atmosphere.
 Infrastructure is good with Trams and Buses used by all demographics and so many people use bicycles in downtown, even as late as as 10 PM at night, and not for exercising but for going to work, and even visiting each other, just like Amsterdam and other European cities, (although I did not see 3 people riding the same bicycle,so a little different from europe may be).

Overall a very good experience and to top it off with a visit to Niagara Falls made it an awesome trip. Now its time to find a job in Alberta and make my final moving arrangements.

ChaloCanada

Mar 9, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-03-2009
Doc's Request.
19-11-2009
Nomination.....
23-11-2009
AOR Received.
22-06-2010
File Transfer...
19-OCT-2010 (to NY)
Med's Request
22-06-2010
Med's Done....
09-07-2010; reached 23-07-2010
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
30-12-2010, dated-15-12-2010
HSetin, Congrats on successful landing.

Liked your detail on importing car.

kevinctech

Star Member
Aug 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2009
Nomination.....
26-11-2009
AOR Received.
28-07-2010
Med's Request
28-07-2010
Med's Done....
31-07-2010
Hey HSetin, Congrats on your successful landing. Thanks for the detailed write-up. This helps!!

lettuce_tomatoes

Star Member
Jun 23, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Hello hsetin ,

Congratulation on becoming a landed immigrant. Thank you for sharing your landing and immigration experience with the group.

hsetin said:
Alright Folks,

Cons-

Pros -

petesampras

Mar 9, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/03/2010
Nomination.....
19/11/2009
AOR Received.
07/02/2010
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
10/11/2010 to LA
Med's Request
02/07/2010
Med's Done....
14/07/2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17/12/2010
VISA ISSUED...
06/01/2011
LANDED..........
03/07/2011
Is anybody with medicals done in July received passport request yet??
It looks like we are in a holding pattern for Passport request for last two months...

Any thoughts when the people with medical done in July will be receiving passport request.

pk933

Apr 28, 2009
USA
Just wanted to update my case:
CIC requested Medicals in August
Medicals delivered to Ottawa, Canada today: 10/04/10
Let us see when I hear back from them.

hsetin

Star Member
Jul 29, 2009
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-11-2012
AOR Received.
11-12-2012
File Transfer...
11-12-2012
Med's Done....
01-11-2012
Passport Req..
01-03-2013
Thanks guys
I wasn't really good at writing long posts, but after reading cchabert's super detailed posts, (and enjoying it), I thought I should give it a try too.
;D

kevinctech said:
Hey HSetin, Congrats on your successful landing. Thanks for the detailed write-up. This helps!!

pb

Feb 21, 2009

Hello hsetin,

Congratulations and thanks for sharing the info.

In your write-up you have mentioned that Canadian officials asked you if you have filed for green card. Is this a problem and if one has filed it is it acceptable to let officials know of such application???

Inputs from you and seniors will be appreciated.

Thanks!
pb

hsetin said:
Alright Folks,

Cons-

Pros -

PRmein

Mar 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2 2009
Doc's Request.
Mar 31 2010
Nomination.....
Jun 21 2010
Med's Request
Feb 3 2011
Med's Done....
Mar 10 2011
Passport Req..
Aug 11 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Sep 19 2011
Guys,

Just wanted to update my status. My cashier's check was cashed on 29th Sep. Waiting for medical requests now.

Thanks.

ChaloCanada

Mar 9, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-03-2009
Doc's Request.
19-11-2009
Nomination.....
23-11-2009
AOR Received.
22-06-2010
File Transfer...
19-OCT-2010 (to NY)
Med's Request
22-06-2010
Med's Done....
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
Guys,
Few things happening on my side

My H1b expired on Sept 30th 2010.
I had filed for extension on June 30th 2010.still waiting on decision
On Oct 1st 2010 I was laid of from US job
Sept 27 - received job offer from calgary canada.
Oct 4th received letter of support fax from AINP.

Planning to apply for work permit next week at LA.

Now LA office on their websites says u have to be in STatus in US when applying at LA office?

Would they ask me to go to New Delhi to apply for work permit?
Would LA office create problem for being out of status for less than 10 days??

Please share your thoughts...

Qureshi

Star Member
Nov 24, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2009
Doc's Request.
16-05-2010
Nomination.....
22-06-2010
AOR Received.
Feb 02, 2011
File Transfer...
NO
Med's Done....
Feb 15, 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 4th , 2011
VISA ISSUED...
May 10th, 2011
LANDED..........
Sep 20th 2011
Chalo Canada,

As per my understanding you are not out of status as of now. It depends on your sponsor when he will cancel your H1-B and lets say on the same date on 30th Sep he cancelled it too by writing to USCIS even than legally you have 60 days grace period to look for another employer or to leave the country in good standing so that in future any company can file petition for you.

So bottom line you are not out of status. Go a head with your planning. Best of Luck.

A.G
Guys,

Now LA office on their websites says u have to be in STatus in US when applying at LA office?

[/quote]

immigration.help

Aug 4, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-01-2009, CIC: 05-03-2010
Doc's Request.
17-11-2009
Nomination.....
2-12-2009
AOR Received.
6-7-2010
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
6-7-2010
Med's Done....
8-7-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-12-2010, mailed 1-3-2011
Qureshi said:
Chalo Canada,

As per my understanding you are not out of status as of now. It depends on your sponsor when he will cancel your H1-B and lets say on the same date on 30th Sep he cancelled it too by writing to USCIS even than legally you have 60 days grace period to look for another employer or to leave the country in good standing so that in future any company can file petition for you.

So bottom line you are not out of status. Go a head with your planning. Best of Luck.

A.G
Guys,

I am sorry for your being laid off. From what I understand, USCIS does approve H1 petitions if your new petition is filed within 60 days of being laid off but there is no written rule like that. Technically speaking, you might be out of status the day you get laid off. You can probably try to get your H1 sponsored by an IT consultancy and maintain status?

ChaloCanada

Mar 9, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-03-2009
Doc's Request.
19-11-2009
Nomination.....
23-11-2009
AOR Received.
22-06-2010
File Transfer...
19-OCT-2010 (to NY)
Med's Request
22-06-2010
Med's Done....
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
Thanks for your reply Qureshi.

My US company has said they would wait for 30 days before they send it to USCIS. They r required to let USCIS know within 30 days.

I am just praying I get a understanding officer in CIC LA.