canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

Sorry I didn't respond to the June post, must have missed it.

You won't automatically lose status after 2 months. You will have Implied Status until CIC approves or refuses your work permit app. CIC states that without the LMIA, they could refuse the app after 2 months.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=701&t=17

You must contact our Call Centre with the LMO/CAQ confirmation number within 2 months of the date your application was received; otherwise your application could be refused.

If the permit is refused after 2 months because the LMIA hasn't been approved yet, you will need to restore your status to visitor and reapply for the work permit if you receive the LMIA.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Thanks canuck_in_uk that was valuable info i.e. the two months upper limit. i wasn't aware of that +1

sandy89

Jul 25, 2014
HI
I have applied for the Canada Work permit recently and its being processed in CIC New delhi and I expect it to get cleared on Aug 1st week. Now I need to apply for my spouse dependent-Visa. Which one is safer and faster for her.. an OWP or TRV ?

Please advice!!! FYI My wp is getting processed by my company its an ICT. Thanks in advance

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
@sandy89 I would always suggest OWP for spouse of a temp worker since it shows your clear intent. No spouse wants to visit her husband for a few weeks in Canada. So trv does not sound very appropriate to me any way and i have seen more refusals in general for spousal trvs than those for owp.

However, since you did not apply together, i won't recommend applying now for her. There is no rule preventing this, but it might look weird to CIC IMHO, either you apply together or you apply latter for spouse once you are already in Canada.

Applying alone first and then applying for spouse even before receiving visa seems confusing for the process as well as CIC records.

sandy89

Jul 25, 2014
fkl said:
@ sandy89 I would always suggest OWP for spouse of a temp worker since it shows your clear intent. No spouse wants to visit her husband for a few weeks in Canada. So trv does not sound very appropriate to me any way and i have seen more refusals in general for spousal trvs than those for owp.

However, since you did not apply together, i won't recommend applying now for her. There is no rule preventing this, but it might look weird to CIC IMHO, either you apply together or you apply latter for spouse once you are already in Canada.

Applying alone first and then applying for spouse even before receiving visa seems confusing for the process as well as CIC records.
Thanks a lot fkl :) I understand from your answer that its confusing if I apply it now. So is it advisable to apply the owp once I get my Visa or should I go there and then apply?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
sandy89 said:
Thanks a lot fkl :) I understand from your answer that its confusing if I apply it now. So is it advisable to apply the owp once I get my Visa or should I go there and then apply?
I would say only apply a month or two after landing there.

pleasehelpus

May 10, 2014
Hi canuck_in_uk,

Thanks for the link. Do you think “confirmation number” implies LMIA confirmation number that ESDC sends by mail to the employer after they receive the LMIA application or actual LMIA number after the reviewing process is complete? (or are they the same numbers?) I think my employer got an LMO confirmation number by mail two weeks later they submitted the LMO app.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
pleasehelpus said:
Hi canuck_in_uk,

Thanks for the link. Do you think “confirmation number” implies LMIA confirmation number that ESDC sends by mail to the employer after they receive the LMIA application or actual LMIA number after the reviewing process is complete? (or are they the same numbers?) I think my employer got an LMO confirmation number by mail two weeks later they submitted the LMO app.
I believe it would be the actual LMIA, not the confirmation of receipt.

pleasehelpus

May 10, 2014
canuck_in_uk said:
I believe it would be the actual LMIA, not the confirmation of receipt.
Thanks for the info. At least I won't loose my implied status automatically, which gives us a bit of relief. I hope the LMIA process is not taking too long because of all the recent changes.

sandy89

Jul 25, 2014
fkl said:
I would say only apply a month or two after landing there.
If I apply after a month then what would be the time for it to get processed? I need to take her soon.. already we are waiting for 8 months to get this opportunity after marriage:(

joanenriquez

Jan 7, 2014
Hi guys , just wanna ask on how & who is eligible to apply PR in canada,? My husband is a temporary foriegn worker program in canada and Iam holding SOPW. I am new here 2 weeks and my husband is 1 year only and he was recently resigned to his employer a week a go means he didnt finished his contract, my question is there is a chance for us to apply PR to continue our stay here? Or to extend my open work permit while he is looking for new job?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sandy89 said:
If I apply after a month then what would be the time for it to get processed? I need to take her soon.. already we are waiting for 8 months to get this opportunity after marriage:(
arc22 said:
we have applied for SOWP online. my husband is working on OWP. how long will take to get processed. i live in UAE
can somebody please help
joanenriquez said:
Hi guys , just wanna ask on how & who is eligible to apply PR in canada,? My husband is a temporary foriegn worker program in canada and Iam holding SOPW. I am new here 2 weeks and my husband is 1 year only and he was recently resigned to his employer a week a go means he didnt finished his contract, my question is there is a chance for us to apply PR to continue our stay here? Or to extend my open work permit while he is looking for new job?
It's kind of rude to just hijack someone else's thread, especially if you are asking questions that have nothing to do with the thread topic. Start a new thread.

arc22

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
ohh sorry..i have also applied for IMM5710..thought it would be similar..removing my message..

pleasehelpus

May 10, 2014
Hi canuck_in_uk,

Two months passed after submitting the work permit app (without positive LMO) and we got this refusal message from CIC (work permit app has been refused and implied status expired) - Now we would like to proceed to the restoration of status to become visitors and wait for the LMO result to come through.

As we experienced before, the questionnaire for the online app can be a bit tricky and I'm wondering if we got it right this time? I took it for myself and my wife:

Questionnaire

What are you applying for?
- visitor visa

What would you like to do in Canada?
- visit

What is your current immigration status in Canada?
- worker (although the status expired)

Are you accompanying a family member who has status in Canada?
- no (I never understood what this really means)

Result (Your document checklist)

Application Form(s)
- IMM5708

Supporting Documents
- Marriage License/Certificate
- Proof of Means of Financial Support
- Passport or travel document
- IMM5713

Family Member 1
- IMM5708
- Passport or travel document

It looks right but my only concern is that the total cost on the result page after taking the questionnaire is CAD400 (200 each), but the refusal message I got from CIC says "applicable fees for restoration and for the immigration document(s) in the amount of $710.00." Any idea why they are different?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
pleasehelpus said:
It looks right but my only concern is that the total cost on the result page after taking the questionnaire is CAD400 (200 each), but the refusal message I got from CIC says "applicable fees for restoration and for the immigration document(s) in the amount of $710.00." Any idea why they are different?
Hi

I'm assuming that you were asked the expiry date of your statuses and said yes to the questions about restoring your statuses.

The $710 fee that they've quoted is for restoring your statuses as workers: $200 restoration + $200 restoration + $155 work permit + $155 work permit.

As you are restoring to visitors, you only pay the $400.