one-year pilot OWP for spouses and common-law partners

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Arekor said:
I have a quick question

I'm sponsoring my wife for her immigration. I would like to clarify the fact if I need to complete Schedule A – Background/Declaration (IMM 5669) and any other documents
Or do I only need to complete the sponsorship application, and the rest is for her

Thank you

I have a permanent residence
You only need to complete the sponsorship forms.

Since you are not a Canadian citizen, you must be in Canada to sponsor her.

Gussy24

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-07-2015
CanAusIcans said:
Hi all,

My husband and I applied for PR and the OWP pilot project in July. The CIC call center has confirmed that his OWP was mailed out on October 16th. He was also able to confirm that they have our immigration lawyer's correct address in Vancouver and that it was mailed there. We are now two weeks from the date it was mailed. Both CIC and our immigration lawyer have said it is 'normal' for it to take two weeks plus for mail from CIC to arrive. CIC will not re-send the OWP until it has been six weeks.

This waiting time is making us fairly anxious. Does anyone have any experience with how long it takes to receive something from CIC? Is two-three weeks actually normal?

Many thanks in advance!
They send correspondence via snail mail so it is very normal. It will just appear out of nowhere. I find it baffling that they gave you this information about it being mailed out. When my husband and I called we were told that they can only give updates after November 13th which is exactly four months.

CanAusIcans

Oct 30, 2015
Gussy24 said:
They send correspondence via snail mail so it is very normal. It will just appear out of nowhere. I find it baffling that they gave you this information about it being mailed out. When my husband and I called we were told that they can only give updates after November 13th which is exactly four months.
Some wouldn't give us updates when we called but we found it depended on the agent. There were a couple who were willing to look us up before four months had elapsed, which was really helpful!

I called Canada Post and they quoted me four days for their snail mail....which is why I'm confused.

Gussy24

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-07-2015
CanAusIcans said:
Some wouldn't give us updates when we called but we found it depended on the agent. There were a couple who were willing to look us up before four months had elapsed, which was really helpful!

I called Canada Post and they quoted me four days for their snail mail....which is why I'm confused.
I do hope you get it ssooner rather than later.

Arekor

Oct 1, 2015
Sorry to bother you guys.

I have one more question. For the OWP all the documenta go on the same envelope as the sponsorship and the permanent residence application. Do I need to print again the passport and things like that. Or only one copy is enough ?

Thank you

Gussy24

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-07-2015
Arekor said:

I have one more question. For the OWP all the documenta go on the same envelope as the sponsorship and the permanent residence application. Do I need to print again the passport and things like that. Or only one copy is enough ?

Thank you
Some might give you a different opinion but I ccan only speak to what I did. Each form of application package has its own checklist, therefore honor that. You never know if they would forward one application to a separate building or something. So my advise would be to prepare documents for each.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Arekor said:

Thank you
You only need the IMM 5710 form, because your OWP will be issued solely based on the fact that an Inland application has been submitted. Unlike a person applying for a `regular' OWP, you don't need to include the redundant materials.

matt_bilbo

Jul 28, 2015
Hi, I'm going to send a new OWP app tomorrow (inland family class application already submitted) , i have AOR and call centre agent told me the OWP was being processed. however my awesome lawyer didn't pay the $100 holder fee. It was eventually paid (early september) and i've sent a case specific enquiry, letter etc with all the appropriate receipts but still want to submit a new OWP app incase it is rejected. i still am a month shy of the 4 and if i wait another month for a definitive answer and its rejected then a quarter of the new wait time can be done with. just a couple questions, if anyone can steer me in the right direction id appreciate it.

1. Am I able to apply for the OWP online?
2. What is the document number i need to fill in?
3. What additional information do i need to supply with the app?
4. Vegreville or Mississauga?

Thanks for the help and I'm sorry if this has all been asked a million times before. iv read through multiple pages of the forums and i can't find all the answers i need.

Regards, Matt

CanAusIcans

Oct 30, 2015
kszhang said:
CIC confirmed (two agents mentioning the same date....) my OWP has been sent out on May 13, but the mailbox still empty.... I am also living in Toronto :'(
Kszhang, how long did it end up taking for you to get your owp?

Gussy24

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-07-2015
So I'm going to ask a question to anyone. My work permit expired on the third of July. I thought I would have my documents ready to be sent way before that and continue to work but we ended up having to wait longer for the option C. Only two days prior to my work permit expiring I applied for a visa extension. Now I know you're supposed to apply at least 30 days before your current status expires. Do you think this will hinder me from getting my OWP through the pilot project? Please be brutally honest cuz I can take it.

kid-

Dec 21, 2014
Gussy 24, if you apply for a status extension/change BEFORE your current status expires, you're all good. If you apply on paper, make sure you send the application by mail before the expiry date, it doesn't have to be at CIC before the expiry of your permit as long as you mail it before that.

Another question, might sound silly; how do you guys get through with the Call Centre? I tried calling them to check if everything's fine with my OWP application, but I can't get through to the agent as the automated service asks for 'document number' which I obviously don't have. I have UCI and tried with that, but didn't work. So it's sort of a catch 22; I'm trying to get info on a document I don't have, but to get that info I would need the document ;D What am I doing wrong?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
kid- said:
Gussy 24, if you apply for a status extension/change BEFORE your current status expires, you're all good. If you apply on paper, make sure you send the application by mail before the expiry date, it doesn't have to be at CIC before the expiry of your permit as long as you mail it before that.
That is not true regarding when CIC gets your application. CIC has to receive your application before the visa expires in order to get "implied status". The date of when you mailed it does nothing to your visa status.

You dont get "implied status" because Canada post or any carrier lost your application in the mail.

You could wait until the day before visa expires and apply online. As long as CIC gets your application, whether it is by mail or online, before your current visa expires, you get "implied status".

beturfewchair

Nov 7, 2015
Hello All

I will not be able to turn in my PR application and OWP application until the end of November or the first week of December. Is that enough time to still be able to get the OWP? I was wondering if I have to wait until the sponsor is approved before Im eligible for the OWP?

Also where am I sending the applications? Missisagua?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
beturfewchair said:
Hello All

I will not be able to turn in my PR application and OWP application until the end of November or the first week of December. Is that enough time to still be able to get the OWP? I was wondering if I have to wait until the sponsor is approved before Im eligible for the OWP?

Also where am I sending the applications? Missisagua?
So...you've decided to submit an Inland application?!?!?!

Are you aware that your husband is advised NOT to leave Canada (for any reason, including vacation) during the ridiculous 27 month process?

*sigh*

If you insist on the Inland application, just include the OWP in the same envelope and mail it to the Mississauga address. His OWP will be issued ~ 4 months after CIC has sent you your AOR email. It is not based on the approval of the sponsor, only on CIC's receipt of the Inland application.

Be sure that you're sending the latest version of all forms, all required signatures are in place, and that you've paid the full amount for the OWP ($255).

If either application is returned, because of an outdated form or missing signature, or incomplete payment, it could jeopardize his implied status.