+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

One time travel document, student loan application etc when PR card expires

anayna

Jan 26, 2011
Let me explain my situation in a simple timeline

Sep 2003 : arrived in Canada for higher studies.
March 2006 : became PR
March 2006 - Aug 2009: Worked till I got laid off.
Nov 2008 : Applied for citizenship appln, after meeting residency requirements.
Aug 2009 - March 2010: Search for employment
April 2010 : Moved to Europe with husband
May -Dec 2010 : Joined french university for language courses
Feb - May 2011 : Want to join second semester but not sure if I will be able to
April 2011: PR card will expire.
Sep 2011 : Admission at canadian univ. (but will I be eligible for loans?)

I came to Canada in Sep 2003 for higher studies. I became a PR in March 2006. I also applied for citizenship application in Nov 2008 after meeting residency requirements. I have been working since 2006n but got laid off in Aug 2009 after a merger acquisition took place. After much searching for another job, I decided to get back into school and obtained an admission at a canadian univ for April 2010. However since my husband got transferred to Europe in April 2010, I decided to join him and so I deferred my admission for Sep 2011. My husband and I never lived together because I was waiting for him to join me in Canada. His company was supposed to transfer him to Canada in 2010 but decided to move him to Europe. He is not a PR of canada. I have been attending a local french Univ. to take french language courses since May 2010. My second semester is during February - May 2011.

My problem is that my citizenship process has been going on forever and my PR expires in April 2011. Many have adviced me that I must return to Canada before the expiration date. The latest information on the CIC website states that the renewal process takes anywhere upto 8 months. I would really like to attend my second semester here but don't want to lose out on my PR renewal process. Another problem that I am facing is a doubt in my mind if I will qualify for student loans considering that my PR card would have expired by then. Going back to Canada without adequate preparation is expensive - no job, no where to stay, no support literally.

What must I do? OR rather what is the best solution in this case? I have academic opportunities in Europe which i dont want to lose and I have future academic plans in Canada. The timing is what worries me.

Q.1 What is the success rate of getting a one time travel document into Canada? Even if I did get a document, will I be stopped at the airport, because immigration officials always act independently according to their discretion.

Q.2 Also, are my chances of securing students loans low if my card expires? If the card expires, does that automatically mean that my PR status gets cancelled?

A quick and honest reply or even any help or suggestions is awaited. Hopefully someone can help.
THanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It should not be a problem getting a travel document if you still meet the residency requirements.

I am not sure about student loans and PR card. You are still PR but the problem is proving it. If you apply for your PR card renewal before your PR card expires, you can keep it with you so you can show it, even if it is expired at a later time. If you apply for a renewal after it expires, you need to send it in so you should make a copy of both sides to show if you have to. You should also make sure you have your landing papers.

anayna

Jan 26, 2011
Thanks for getting back to me Leon. I had one related query.

How early can I apply for a renewal? Is there a timeframe?
Also, how quickly would my appln be processed if I produced a purchased return ticket to Europe?

None of this info. is available on the CIC site. Is there a chance you might know?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not know if there is a limit on how early you can apply for renewal. If the processing time is now 192 days, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp
Since that is about 6-7 months, you can at least apply 6-7 months before it expires.

I also applied early to renew my PR card to make sure that I would have it before the old one expired but I think they purposely timed my interview so that it was right around the expiry date. If that is how they work, it will probably not do you any good to apply way too early unless you state on your application that you need it before the other one expires and why.

If you apply asking to expedite based on your travels, I have heard of people who have gotten their PR card in less than 2 months but I don't think they give any minimum time.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: student loans - you can probably use a copy of your Confirmation of Permanent Residence for that.

anayna

Jan 26, 2011
thanks leon and karl.

karl you mentioned confirmation of permanent residence - does that mean copy of the two sides of the PR card OR landing papers?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The landing papers. They say "Confirmation of Permanent Residence" on top.

anayna said:
thanks leon and karl.

karl you mentioned confirmation of permanent residence - does that mean copy of the two sides of the PR card OR landing papers?