+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Offer of employment for current job?

Verlin

Jun 10, 2021
Hi,

I have received an ITA for CEC inland am trying to figure out what would be appropriate to upload for my Offer of Employment. I'm on a work permit and have been working in my position, which is LMIA-exempt (NAFTA/USMCA), for over a year. The permit states that I must work in my current profession and for my current employer.

When creating my profile, I answered "yes" for if I had a valid offer of employment. Now that I have an ITA, the EE application form requires me to upload both an Offer of Employment and a Letter of Employment (along with employment records). Since this is my current job, would the official offer letter that I received and signed last year serve as my Offer of Employment or just my Letter of Employment? Would it serve as both?

I just asked for and received a letter from HR confirming my current employed status and listing my starting date, title, hours, salary w/ benefits, and job responsibilities. I initially was planning to use this for the "Employment Records" section, but it looks like it might serve as the Letter of Employment as well.

Neither of these things list my NOC code or skill level though. I have my work permit but that doesn't even list the NOC, but my profession and the LMIA-exempt status... Should I ask for a new offer letter? This is a bit strange since I already have been employed for over a year... This whole thing is rather confusing.

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
Hi,

I have received an ITA for CEC inland am trying to figure out what would be appropriate to upload for my Offer of Employment. I'm on a work permit and have been working in my position, which is LMIA-exempt (NAFTA/USMCA), for over a year. The permit states that I must work in my current profession and for my current employer.

When creating my profile, I answered "yes" for if I had a valid offer of employment. Now that I have an ITA, the EE application form requires me to upload both an Offer of Employment and a Letter of Employment (along with employment records). Since this is my current job, would the official offer letter that I received and signed last year serve as my Offer of Employment or just my Letter of Employment? Would it serve as both?

I just asked for and received a letter from HR confirming my current employed status and listing my starting date, title, hours, salary w/ benefits, and job responsibilities. I initially was planning to use this for the "Employment Records" section, but it looks like it might serve as the Letter of Employment as well.

Neither of these things list my NOC code or skill level though. I have my work permit but that doesn't even list the NOC, but my profession and the LMIA-exempt status... Should I ask for a new offer letter? This is a bit strange since I already have been employed for over a year... This whole thing is rather confusing.
You can't use the same job offer that you used to get your work permit. And the job offer must clearly state that it's for at least 1 year after you become permanent resident.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/offer-employment.html

You're not going to find any official document stating your NOC, every job/position in every company can be very different even if the job titles are the same, so you'll have to do your best to find your NOC based on the duties and responsabilities described on your letter of employment.

Verlin

Jun 10, 2021
You can't use the same job offer that you used to get your work permit. And the job offer must clearly state that it's for at least 1 year after you become permanent resident.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/offer-employment.html

You're not going to find any official document stating your NOC, every job/position in every company can be very different even if the job titles are the same, so you'll have to do your best to find your NOC based on the duties and responsabilities described on your letter of employment.
Hmm, so I have to get another offer letter from my current employer. I'm sure the idea of writing an offer to someone who's already employed is going to make their heads explode, but I'll do it anyway. It's weird that they won't let you use your initial job offer, even if it shows that your employment will be continuous.

I know my exact NOC, but the instructions on the applciation page state that the offer letter must specify if the job is "skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC)." So it seems that they want the employer to list your NOC code or at least your Skill level.

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
Hmm, so I have to get another offer letter from my current employer. I'm sure the idea of writing an offer to someone who's already employed is going to make their heads explode, but I'll do it anyway. It's weird that they won't let you use your initial job offer, even if it shows that your employment will be continuous.

I know my exact NOC, but the instructions on the applciation page state that the offer letter must specify if the job is "skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC)." So it seems that they want the employer to list your NOC code or at least your Skill level.
One of the reasons why they require a new offer is because the position may be continuous but not the worker, as long as you need a temporary permit, you're considered a temporary worker and therefore the job offer is temporary and it must be revalidated for every new work permit, every new job position, etc etc. Under certain scenarios for a temporary worker sometimes even getting a promotion can become complicated because of this.

What the instructions mean regarding the NOC is that IRCC wants to make sure that the job offer you present is for a NOC A, B or 0 position, and not for a NOC C or D position. It doesn't mean your employer HAS TO state the specific NOC code (although they can if they want to), but what matters is that the job offer is for qualifying position such as manager (just as an example) and not for a fast food employee.

Verlin

Jun 10, 2021
One of the reasons why they require a new offer is because the position may be continuous but not the worker, as long as you need a temporary permit, you're considered a temporary worker and therefore the job offer is temporary and it must be revalidated for every new work permit, every new job position, etc etc. Under certain scenarios for a temporary worker sometimes even getting a promotion can become complicated because of this.

What the instructions mean regarding the NOC is that IRCC wants to make sure that the job offer you present is for a NOC A, B or 0 position, and not for a NOC C or D position. It doesn't mean your employer HAS TO state the specific NOC code (although they can if they want to), but what matters is that the job offer is for qualifying position such as manager (just as an example) and not for a fast food employee.
Ah, ok thank you for the great explanation. I've been searching the internet for a couple of days and never managed to find a clear reason. When you put it that way, it makes sense! Now I will work on getting my employer to understand why I need a new offer letter...

hello2020

Star Member
Oct 8, 2019
Hi,

what did you do? did you ger your PR finally?

Eddie90

Nov 16, 2022
Ah, ok thank you for the great explanation. I've been searching the internet for a couple of days and never managed to find a clear reason. When you put it that way, it makes sense! Now I will work on getting my employer to understand why I need a new offer letter...
Going through a similar situation so hoping you could tell how it ended up working for you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Going through a similar situation so hoping you could tell how it ended up working for you
If you are on an LMIA exempt work permit, note that you cannot claim points for having a job offer until you have worked for your employer for a full year in Canada. Until then, you should answer "no" to the job offer question in your Express Entry profile.