+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

October 2021 - Citizenship Applications

GD.Iron.80

Star Member
Mar 21, 2022
oath certificate is around 2-4 weeks i think, plus passport 1-4 months,, but those are just rough estimates.
Wow , are you sure??? So you're at risk of not being able to travel for 1.5 to 5 months???? That's crazy. Can you travel on your old passport and without a PR card to leave and enter Canada?

GD.Iron.80

Star Member
Mar 21, 2022
Wow , are you sure??? So you're at risk of not being able to travel for 1.5 to 5 months???? That's crazy. Can you travel on your old passport and without a PR card to leave and enter Canada?
I actually checked and you can have your passport within 2 business days if you pay $110 extra, or 2-9 business days if you pay $50. Otherwise, it's approx. 2 weeks.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/processing-times.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/urgent-emergency-passport.html

Reactions: b00li

km9203

Aug 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2015
AOR Received.
26/02/2016 OWP 30-09-2015
Med's Done....
Sent with app
LANDED..........
02-02-2017
Thank you for sharing your experience and giving the Oath timeline. Also congrats on your Citizenship!

Two questions:
1. What were the pre-check conversations about?
2. How long after the Oath Ceremony until you have your passport in hand? It's quite a precarious time to be in Canada without a PR Card and no passport, in case you need to leave for some emergency or something.

Thanks
I also just took my oath. It can take up to 4 weeks to receive the citizenship certificate. And then up to 8 to receive the passport. You are looking at possibly 12 weeks altogether.

I have my British passport if an emergency happened and I had to travel home... But I am not sure how I would get back into Canada? It certainly seems risky.

Reactions: GD.Iron.80

GD.Iron.80

Star Member
Mar 21, 2022
I also just took my oath. It can take up to 4 weeks to receive the citizenship certificate. And then up to 8 to receive the passport. You are looking at possibly 12 weeks altogether.

I have my British passport if an emergency happened and I had to travel home... But I am not sure how I would get back into Canada? It certainly seems risky.
Ahh yes! After doing some further reading, I believe the expedited passport processing options are only available if you provide proof of booked travel at the time of passport application.
Ugh, IRCC really needs to get their stuff together, this entire process seems to be a major mess and done without much thought. You should cut your PR Card at the time of picking up your new Canadian passport, that'd make more sense than being in limbo for another 3 months without a return travel document, but anyway... Can't wait for this to be over, looks like a lot of people are making progress! :)

Sammy3

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
I have a question regarding my current passport. Appreciate if anybody can give some input. My passport expired around end of Jan 2022, I applied for citizenship on Oct 24 2021. I got my passport renewed in April 2022. I wasn't sure if I need to inform IRCC about passport renewal. I tried to ask them by raising a webform but haven't gotten any response yet (its been more than a month). When checking online I see they only mention about address, contact info and marital status updates, nothing about passport renewal. Would be great if anybody can shed some light about this. Thanks in advance.

GD.Iron.80

Star Member
Mar 21, 2022
I have a question regarding my current passport. Appreciate if anybody can give some input. My passport expired around end of Jan 2022, I applied for citizenship on Oct 24 2021. I got my passport renewed in April 2022. I wasn't sure if I need to inform IRCC about passport renewal. I tried to ask them by raising a webform but haven't gotten any response yet (its been more than a month). When checking online I see they only mention about address, contact info and marital status updates, nothing about passport renewal. Would be great if anybody can shed some light about this. Thanks in advance.
I renewed my passport during my PR application. Shouldn't be any issues with this. In case they ask you for your passport just provide the new one and then write a clarification that your old one expired. Be ready to show proof of both passports if necessary. You should be fine.

Reactions: Sammy3

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017
apply to Canadian citizenship need passport and pr card dose not matter working or expire just need your last passport and pr card even they not asking to see your passport oath time.

Reactions: Sammy3

Wacky1.nash

Jul 18, 2017
Singapore
Yeah it is in a way a tricky period. Do know you can enter canada via land border without a PR card or Canadian passport. You only need citizenship certificate and home country passport.

I know one person entering Canada using their home passport and nexus card (not even citizenship certificate) while they wait for their Canadian passport (he travels across the border multiple times a month.)

Those who are green card holders can enter Canada even using airline using home country passport and green card.

Edit - Made some clarifications

Last edited:

Sammy3

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
I renewed my passport during my PR application. Shouldn't be any issues with this. In case they ask you for your passport just provide the new one and then write a clarification that your old one expired. Be ready to show proof of both passports if necessary. You should be fine.
I provided my passport when I applied (at the time it wasn’t expired). If they ask I have both with me now. Hoping that should be enough.

Wacky1.nash

Jul 18, 2017
Singapore
. You should cut your PR Card at the time of picking up your new Canadian passport, that'd make more sense than being in limbo for another 3 months without a return travel document, but anyway... :)
That’s a good idea. Either that or they should give us a temporary travel document until you get your Canadian passport…in an ideal world….

JanosCA

Dec 14, 2021
Hi everyone,

Finally the Citzenship ceremony was scheduled.
Timeline below.

Application type: Mail - Sydney, NS
Physical presence: 1820 days
Application: Family
Application sent: Oct 1st, 2021
Application received: Oct 18th, 2021
AOR received: Dec 16th, 2021
BG Check Completed: Jan 8th, 2022
Fingerprints request: Apr 12th, 2022
Fingerprints received: May 4th, 2022
BG Check Completed: updated to May 5th, 2022
Citizenship Test Invite: Jun 6th, 2022