+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

vik222512

Star Member
Apr 28, 2021
Pl excuse the detailed post! Experience during our OCI visit today - Toronto office, spouse and minor application

Which date to use as application date for a family member who's already applied for OCI -
Brampton office rejected my applications asking me to enter date of visiting BLS, and not date of online application. I had gone with multiple applications - to use the one that suits them. I BY MISTAKE gave them the application which had my OCI online application date! Toronto office accepted it. So, this isn't quite a "process requirement" but a staff specific thing.

Marriage certificate for minor child - The option to upload a marriage certificate says is only for married adults, so I just took it with me since it is also needed for a child's parents. Brampton had accepted it (just like SC etc. which don't have a separate field to upload, but have to be taken along). Toronto rejected saying this has to be uploaded too ($18 if they do it)!!

Wife's maiden name - IN passport renewals, CA PR, CA citizenship, US visa, IN passport surrender - in everything I mentioned she had a diff surname before marriage, and attached an affidavit + marriage certificate. Brampton BLS had no issue in this, Toronto rejected saying they need a document with her previous name, or I shouldn't mention she has had a previous surname at all (they said either you spend $80 - 90 on a fresh afffidavit or they can do it for $100 - by stating she's always had this name)!!

Pickup option - Toronto allows it (but make it extremely difficult, first come first served in a 1 hour window Mon - Fri), if you make a story around not being available etc. etc.

RAMBAAN - Premium lounge service $100 a head. We used it, and both applications were accepted - new forms filled/documents uploaded, new photos taken, courier option included.

STAFF - Most of them, including the one dealing with us - faaaar more pleasant to deal with, and giving options to solve situations as compared to Gillingham Brampton folks.

PARKING - Several street (paid) parking spots with reasonable rates considering it is Toronto, and if you compare it to say any hospital!! Apart from this a lot of 1 hour FREE parking spots too. You'll find almost all empty if you have an early morning appointment.
Premium lounge - 100$ is it per person? you paid 200$ for 2 applications just to get in (please correct me)? i have 3 applications (myself, wife and minor son) will one premium lounge appt cover it or i have to book 3?

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
I am sorry, but who is deleting the data from OCI applications timeline spreadsheet? I entered one for me, my wife and my toddler son as separate rows since we all submitted independently. My wife's and son's data has been deleted.

BTW, my wife's OCI has been received in Toronto (18-Apr). dispatched on 2-Apr. Looks like there is a new average time from dispatch to receiving- 16 days. Earlier it used to be 8-9 days..
there's a tracker for OCI?? really?! :p

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
no running around after 50.. it is only online upload of photo and new passport. For above 20, sure, you need to deal with someone ..hopefully India gets a bit more richer than this, prioritizes experience and chucks out BLS.
India doesn't get richer. Albeit BLS definitely does, and so do people in CGI/HCI who I guess get some hush money to stay mum while everyone shares the same experience!

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
Premium lounge - 100$ is it per person? you paid 200$ for 2 applications just to get in (please correct me)? i have 3 applications (myself, wife and minor son) will one premium lounge appt cover it or i have to book 3?
100 per person. we could get in free like everyone else (who doesn't outrightly book premium lounge online), but to get these coerced services - we had to pay. you will pay $300, and depending on the person - this may/may not include photos and photocopying/printing.

Tarakeshwar

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
Hyderabad
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
03-12-2017
Med's Done....
22-12-2017
100 per person. we could get in free like everyone else (who doesn't outrightly book premium lounge online), but to get these coerced services - we had to pay. you will pay $300, and depending on the person - this may/may not include photos and photocopying/printing.
lol.. $100!! that's crazy expensive.. Although, I got it for free.. my toddler son created a hell in the waiting room, they had to send us to premium lounge to wait! that was when the premium lounge is being setup.. AC, sofa, water and coffee for a couple hours !

Tarakeshwar

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
Hyderabad
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
03-12-2017
Med's Done....
22-12-2017
wow! i'll pass. looks like someone started this just 6 months ago. it is after all just a travel document, visa ka bada bhai.
it is not a visa.. think of this as a PR for India. others who do not have OCI will have to register at Foreign relations office (FRO) if they want to stay for more than 6 months. If you have OCI you do not need to register. Also, if you stayed in India with OCI for more than 1 and half year in the last 5 years, you can reapply for Indian citizenship and that is going to be fast-tracked!
You can apply for aadhar and do many other things citizens can do other than buying agricultural land as a person, hold govt office or vote as long as you have OCI.

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
it is not a visa.. think of this as a PR for India. others who do not have OCI will have to register at Foreign relations office (FRO) if they want to stay for more than 6 months. If you have OCI you do not need to register. Also, if you stayed in India with OCI for more than 1 and half year in the last 5 years, you can reapply for Indian citizenship and that is going to be fast-tracked!
You can apply for aadhar and do many other things citizens can do other than buying agricultural land as a person, hold govt office or vote as long as you have OCI.
yeah, i oversimplified and termed it as a visa because that is the only purpose it serves for me. that said, i am aware of every other benefit OCI brings, just that those don't relate to me. so in that sense there could be many who want to not just track their own case, but benchmark/keep an eye on similar cases - because they assign much more importance to this document (depending on their needs) - just the way i updated my details in the PR tracker, OINP tracker and citizenship tracker.

Reactions: Tarakeshwar

rickytyagi

Apr 18, 2024
Hi Everyone,
I applied for OCI.
The status on India Govt website says "Document Received at Toronto" 19 Mar 2024. But the status on BLS website is still "Original documents ready for collection" since 12 Feb 2024.
I don't think its normal for it to take this long to deliver it after receiving it. Any one in the same boat? No one picks the phone on the Support line. I wrote three times using the 'contact us' form on BLS website but haven't seen any response.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi Everyone,
I applied for OCI.
The status on India Govt website says "Document Received at Toronto" 19 Mar 2024. But the status on BLS website is still "Original documents ready for collection" since 12 Feb 2024.
I don't think its normal for it to take this long to deliver it after receiving it. Any one in the same boat? No one picks the phone on the Support line. I wrote three times using the 'contact us' form on BLS website but haven't seen any response.
Tyagi G try to email BLS folks on
cccanada@blsinternational.net
servicehq.canada@blsinternational.net
brampton.p@blsinternational.net

Reactions: rickytyagi

sp2018

Nov 9, 2018
Hi any update on vancouver office
Application : 8 Feb
BlS Calgary
DOA: 17 Feb
Still no update.