+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

AKT

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
I submitted my New OCI adult application today 5 May 2022 at bls Brampton- walk in application.

They didn’t asked any self attest copies.
I filled the form online and upload the picture and signature online so it came printed on the form. I just submit one photo same as upload one in person.

They only kept one original that is surrender certificate and nothing else. All passports indian Canadian all returned. Neither original citizenship certificate kept.

DD 345 CAD submitted and rest BLS fees and return by fedex post fee by debit card

overall smoothly done within 10 min out of the center with receipts
That's weird. They are supposed to keep only copy of surrender certificate not the original when you submit in-person. Did they tell you they're gonna return it? maybe they mistook orignal for a copy? both looks the same lol.....

• Haha
Reactions: canadamaple

canadamaple

Jan 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
AOR Received.
23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront, RPRF Upfront
Whom to contact almost touched a month now and no acknowledgement (application date 8th April ) while People who submitted after me are getting acknowledgement
Call the BLS number every other day and ask for an update. I did that for a week and I finally can track my application on the BLS portal. I still have not received my originals though. Good luck.

manu.yoganand

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
That's weird. They are supposed to keep only copy of surrender certificate not the original when you submit in-person. Did they tell you they're gonna return it? maybe they mistook orignal for a copy? both looks the same lol.....
Seriously!!! Printed on an A4 sheet and folded & stapled to the last page of the cancelled passport, the surrender certificate looks no different than a MS word template printed on my home printer

keypad

Sep 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
15-10-2013
Med's Done....
26-10-2013
Passport Req..
15-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2015
LANDED..........
29-09-2015
Hi everyone,

I am preparing for my OCI application and have some questions. Would be grateful if someone can guide me.

- There are two fields, National Identification Number and Previous Passport Number. What do we need to fill in there?
- Also what should be uploaded for the Employment Letter?
- My father is deceased, how to fill in that?
- The applicant's passport details should be based on the Canadian passport, right? The sample form on the BLS website says it needs to be as per the Indian passport which creates confusion.
- Can we use debit card to pay for the fee or the draft is mandatory?
- Do we need to self-attest documents before uploading?

@vvarma or anyone who went to Surrey BLS, please share your experience.

Last edited:

dps86

Jan 19, 2016
Hello everyone.
I have a question regarding OCI, if anyone can help. My daughter Canadian passport is for 5 year & going to expire next month. She also has OCI card. Now if her existing passport is getting expired, do I have to renew her OCI card also. I don’t know the process. How it works? I mean when my daughter will have a new Canadian passport, how it will link with her existing OCI card. Anyone been through the same situation. I will really appreciate. Thanks.

theRavAgg

May 6, 2022
Yes they said it didn't went through and then she asked me to get cash from bank, so I paid in cash. :|
Hey! The same thing happened to me last week. But in my case, 4 failed attempts. It failed the first time, and the lady insisted I try again. It failed again, and then she said she'll restart the card machine. Did that, and it failed again. And then she was like, oh seems to be an internet issue. She disconnected and reconnected the internet, and charge failed a 4th time. Eventually went to the bank and withdrew cash and paid that way.

Came home, and then realized that I have been fleeced for $700. BLS customer service was of no help. Will be disputing with my bank tomorrow morning.

• Wow
Reactions: nskatcv

rp12343

Sep 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is there a place I can confirm for the left or right thumb?
Its thw left thumb no matter what gender is
Once you finish your application and print it you'll see all the requirements on it and it clearly says left thumb. Nothing is mentioned about gender.
I agree that you'll find the information about left for boy and right for girl. But it looks like outdated. Again when you will print your final application it will be there in instructions and its left thumb only.
I did submit my child application as well.

At the end who knows if they're gonna verify that ever.

raultest

Apr 22, 2017
As part of OCI application submission, do we need to submit original citizenship certificate or signed copy or both?

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Seriously!!! Printed on an A4 sheet and folded & stapled to the last page of the cancelled passport, the surrender certificate looks no different than a MS word template printed on my home printer
That was my exact thought when I got it except that I could have made it look a lot nicer and with better quality paper.

Reactions: manu.yoganand

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Whats the OCI validity?
For the children, they issue till 20 years of age? And i see that they need to get reissued once after that.
Yes. But only when they get a new passport after they reach that age.

Hello everyone.
I have a question regarding OCI, if anyone can help. My daughter Canadian passport is for 5 year & going to expire next month. She also has OCI card. Now if her existing passport is getting expired, do I have to renew her OCI card also. I don’t know the process. How it works? I mean when my daughter will have a new Canadian passport, how it will link with her existing OCI card. Anyone been through the same situation. I will really appreciate. Thanks.
You will have to use OCI Miscellaneous services to update the new passport details. As I mentioned earlier, you only have to renew the OCI Card once after attaining the age of 20 and acquiring a new passport at that age.

Source: https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/oci-renewal-and-updation/

DIsclaimer: I am quoting CGI Toronto, but the OCI requirements are global and can be seen here: https://www.mea.gov.in/overseas-citizenship-of-india-scheme.htm

Reactions: harirajmohan

manu.yoganand

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
Hi everyone,

I am preparing for my OCI application and have some questions. Would be grateful if someone can guide me.

- There are two fields, National Identification Number and Previous Passport Number. What do we need to fill in there?
- Also what should be uploaded for the Employment Letter?
- My father is deceased, how to fill in that?
- The applicant's passport details should be based on the Canadian passport, right? The sample form on the BLS website says it needs to be as per the Indian passport which creates confusion.
- Can we use debit card to pay for the fee or the draft is mandatory?
- Do we need to self-attest documents before uploading?

@vvarma or anyone who went to Surrey BLS, please share your experience.
This is what I filled -

- There are two fields, National Identification Number and Previous Passport Number. What do we need to fill in there? - Left both blank. No national ID and this is the 1st Canadian passport, so no previous passport.
- Also what should be uploaded for the Employment Letter? - I uploaded a letter from my employer.
- My father is deceased, how to fill in that? - Not sure about this. Probably put (Late) before his name. But check with BLS
- The applicant's passport details should be based on the Canadian passport, right? The sample form on the BLS website says it needs to be as per the Indian passport which creates confusion. - I entered Canadian Passport details here. Indian passport details will come under previous nationality.
- Can we use debit card to pay for the fee or the draft is mandatory? Mandatory Draft of $345 favouring the Consulate.. BLS fees can be paid by cash or debit.
- Do we need to self-attest documents before uploading? - Not required.. but physical copies should be self attested

canadamaple

Jan 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
AOR Received.
23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront, RPRF Upfront
As part of OCI application submission, do we need to submit original citizenship certificate or signed copy or both?
They seem to be asking for it at BLS Ottawa. Howevera few fellow OCI applicants from other jurisdictions like Brampton and Vancouver have indicated that they were not asked for original documents. It's best to follow the checklist and call BLS before sending the documents - just for good measure. Good luck.

asterixfanboy

Star Member
Jul 28, 2021
Yes. But only when they get a new passport after they reach that age.

You will have to use OCI Miscellaneous services to update the new passport details. As I mentioned earlier, you only have to renew the OCI Card once after attaining the age of 20 and acquiring a new passport at that age.

Source: https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/oci-renewal-and-updation/

DIsclaimer: I am quoting CGI Toronto, but the OCI requirements are global and can be seen here: https://www.mea.gov.in/overseas-citizenship-of-india-scheme.htm
This is the right approach and I have done it as well - simple straight forward and you have to wait for 2-4 weeks for this to get approved.

Reactions: Hot2Cold

asterixfanboy

Star Member
Jul 28, 2021
To add - mine took 6-8 weeks because of the holidays but when i checked with BLS Support team they confirmed we can still travel with OCI but need to take both old and new Canadian passports.

Reactions: Hot2Cold

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
I just want to share something. I already applied for for my Daughters OCI. BLS acknowledgment date is 25th March and CGI acknowledgment date is 20th April. as I we have already booked our flight tickets for June 1st and I don't want any sleepless night due to OCI delay, We applied for entry VISA on Saturday (Walk in). Passport with VISA delivered by Purolator today May 5th. it took 5 days only. if anyone booked tickets and waiting for OCI please go ahead apply for entry VISA. (Up to you, a friendly suggestion). because it costs only $150 (including drop off) and compared to cancellation/changing dates of tickets it is cheap. Summer fairs are really high.
Thanks for this info.
I am also with similar timelines, sent to BLS on 18 March, CGI under process on 20 April and still under process
I have my travel on June 7. I am wondering if I should wait till end of third week of May. That will give me 2 weeks buffer before the travel.
Only worry is if my oci comes after I have left for India, do they leave it in your mailbox or what do they do?