+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

abhinsonu

Aug 4, 2021
Hello Everyone.
I have applied OCI for my infant and its still under process. Due to some unseen circumstances my wife and kid need to travel to India and they intent to stay for more than 6 months. What type of visa would be good for my infant to stay in India for more than 6 months. Please Advice. Thanks in Advance.

lovekumar86

May 8, 2019
hi forw.jane

I was an Indian Citizen and work permit holder of Canada when I married in India but divorced in Canada as a work permit holder. My ex-wife got married in India and settled there and we are not in touch since separation. I am about to apply for OCI now and as per OCI checklist regarding marital status states the following:

In normal circumstances, if the marriage is solemnized in India, the divorce should also be taken in India (not in Canada) however, if both applicants seeking to get divorced have acquired Canadian or foreign citizenship, they can get divorced in Canada, provided the decision is not ex- parte.

Can you please guide if I need to obtain a divorce certificate from India or Canada (which I already have) for applying OCI?

Your guidance will be much appreciated.

Sandy.gal

Champion Member
Sep 15, 2022
Category........
Other
Hello Everyone.
I have applied OCI for my infant and its still under process. Due to some unseen circumstances my wife and kid need to travel to India and they intent to stay for more than 6 months. What type of visa would be good for my infant to stay in India for more than 6 months. Please Advice. Thanks in Advance.
E visa. It allows the baby to stay max for 1 year

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
hi forw.jane

I was an Indian Citizen and work permit holder of Canada when I married in India but divorced in Canada as a work permit holder. My ex-wife got married in India and settled there and we are not in touch since separation. I am about to apply for OCI now and as per OCI checklist regarding marital status states the following:

In normal circumstances, if the marriage is solemnized in India, the divorce should also be taken in India (not in Canada) however, if both applicants seeking to get divorced have acquired Canadian or foreign citizenship, they can get divorced in Canada, provided the decision is not ex- parte.

Can you please guide if I need to obtain a divorce certificate from India or Canada (which I already have) for applying OCI?

From what I have read on this forum BLS does not accept divorce obtained in Canada for marriage done in India. They need it be done in India. But BLS can act weirdly because of lack of knowledge.

HCI website states - If the marriage has taken place in India and divorce certificate is issued by Canadian court it can be accepted provided it is not an Ex-Parte decision i.e. both the parties are aware of the divorce decision and agree to it.Further, it is duly attested by DFATD.

So better is if you in Toronto - https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/open-house/ check the open house for official response

Or raise a query on
https://suvidha.hciottawa.gov.in/user/raise-query

And use the official response for submission at BLS.

Reactions: lovekumar86

Sandy.gal

Champion Member
Sep 15, 2022
Category........
Other
hi forw.jane

Hey TBH I agree with forw.jane. BLS doesn't know anything and when they don't, then they will give you hard time. I had the same issue with my minor's OCI application. When I told the lady that it's not mentioned on your checklist then the lady just simply told that I can raise or email my concerns to Consulate.
In your case, I would recommend calling directly consulate customer service and they shall be able to answer your questions. At the end of day BLS also follow and accept what consulate wants.

Reactions: lovekumar86

lovekumar86

May 8, 2019
@
From what I have read on this forum BLS does not accept divorce obtained in Canada for marriage done in India. They need it be done in India. But BLS can act weirdly because of lack of knowledge.

HCI website states - If the marriage has taken place in India and divorce certificate is issued by Canadian court it can be accepted provided it is not an Ex-Parte decision i.e. both the parties are aware of the divorce decision and agree to it.Further, it is duly attested by DFATD.

So better is if you in Toronto - https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/open-house/ check the open house for official response

Or raise a query on
https://suvidha.hciottawa.gov.in/user/raise-query

And use the official response for submission at BLS.
Thank you so much for your guidance. Really appreciate it.

lovekumar86

May 8, 2019
Hey TBH I agree with forw.jane. BLS doesn't know anything and when they don't, then they will give you hard time. I had the same issue with my minor's OCI application. When I told the lady that it's not mentioned on your checklist then the lady just simply told that I can raise or email my concerns to Consulate.
In your case, I would recommend calling directly consulate customer service and they shall be able to answer your questions. At the end of day BLS also follow and accept what consulate wants.
Thank you so much for your guidance. Really appreciate it.

Reactions: Sandy.gal

Avi@1234

May 8, 2024
Hello,
I have applied for OCI on Feb 24st, 2024 and acknowledgement on March 05st, 2024. The mission is Vancouver and it’s almost 10+ weeks and still the application says Under process. Kind of confused on application, is anyone on the same boat.please let me know.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello,
I have applied for OCI on Feb 24st, 2024 and acknowledgement on March 05st, 2024. The mission is Vancouver and it’s almost 10+ weeks and still the application says Under process. Kind of confused on application, is anyone on the same boat.please let me know.
Vancouver and Ottawa processing times are significantly longer in comparison to Toronto(2 months)

deeps1987

Jun 2, 2018
I applied on March 27 2024 and i enquired OCI desk ( oci.vancouver@mea.go.in ) and i went directly to calgary office.
That is unfortunate. You can get entry visa but won't be able to apply for OCI as e-visa would allow your son to live only for 6 months. And OCI can be applied after 6 months. You go to India with e-visa, and hen change his status by visiting FRRO, and then once the stay is extended, apply for OCI. Otherway is getting entry visa for that you need to apply again through BLS.

meanwhile, for OCI, if the OCI desk from consulate has confirmed they did not get the file, raise a grievance with BLS. You can do level 2 escalation if the BLS agent is not taking your matter seriously.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
That is unfortunate. You can get entry visa but won't be able to apply for OCI as e-visa would allow your son to live only for 6 months. And OCI can be applied after 6 months. You go to India with e-visa, and hen change his status by visiting FRRO, and then once the stay is extended, apply for OCI. Otherway is getting entry visa for that you need to apply again through BLS.

meanwhile, for OCI, if the OCI desk from consulate has confirmed they did not get the file, raise a grievance with BLS. You can do level 2 escalation if the BLS agent is not taking your matter seriously.
On e-Visa you cannot apply for OCI in India.
OCI can only be applied (after 6 months in India) if you obtain Entry Visa which was issued to former Indian citizens.

Ckay128

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
Hey guys.. I’ve an upcoming appointment at bls brampton this Thursday.
After following many posts, I’ve come to to conclusion of uploading 5 docs original without attestation:
1) Canadian pass 2)employment letter 3)Indian passport/surrender certi 4)marriage certi. 5)spouse passport.

please confirm if I’m not missing any doc to upload.
Further, I was hoping to pay by debit at appointment for the whole amount, but one of my friends told me the consulate fee has to be on demand draft rest you can pay by debit.
is that true?

adstarscream732

May 6, 2019
Hey guys.. I’ve an upcoming appointment at bls brampton this Thursday.
After following many posts, I’ve come to to conclusion of uploading 5 docs original without attestation:
1) Canadian pass 2)employment letter 3)Indian passport/surrender certi 4)marriage certi. 5)spouse passport.

please confirm if I’m not missing any doc to upload.
Further, I was hoping to pay by debit at appointment for the whole amount, but one of my friends told me the consulate fee has to be on demand draft rest you can pay by debit.
is that true?
Answer for payment - yes what you have written is correct, BLS wants consulate fee on DD.

Reactions: Ckay128