OCI process

sri88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2022
OCI Update:

Application Submitted: 11th May 2024
Acknowledgement: 17th May 2024

update to follow.....

The story about submission: opted for premium lounge service, went there on time, and security took us directly to an agent in the lounge room. had an initial inspection by one of them, followed by another. At this point, I realized I didn't have NOC from both parents, so we had to take a photo ($18 for both parent's single photo). I had to take a PR copy of one of the parents for status in Canada and the OCI of another parent; they did it ( no charge for the NOC form and these copies). We were out after the entire process within almost an hour. (Copies+courier charge included in service). I am not advocating premium lounge, but in my experience, it was a trouble fee, no arguments, no. delays/waits, courier and photo copies included service. Well, the photo print I had in the application was not up to the specs, but they didn't care about it (if so, they have to do form filing and new photo upload, I was expecting it, but they didn't mention a single word about it and just accepted it... :). (We all know that if the photo is okay on the OCI application website, it's going to work; the printed ones don't have any relevance, but it's the photo scam play. )

Again, I am not advocating PL service; just letting you guys know my experience. ( i have used regular appointments for surrender applications(2 times) , and postal for OCI ( once- which got rejected and had to reapply making 2x courier fee)

Last edited:

TarRaj

May 17, 2024
Hello everyone
I am new to forum
Any body please advise and help , how to get surrender certificate if indian passport is lost .
i am canadian citizen now . I have lost my indian passport. I have police report.please share your experience . Thanks

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello everyone
I am new to forum
Any body please advise and help , how to get surrender certificate if indian passport is lost .
i am canadian citizen now . I have lost my indian passport. I have police report.please share your experience . Thanks
https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/oci-renewal-and-updation/
(ii) For lost of passports after June 1, 2010 - With the availability of copy of the lost passport, the applicant has to take pre-approval for submission of surrender application without the passport (as the passport is lost) at the BLS and on receiving the surrender application at the Consulate, the applicant will be issued Renunciation Certificate in place of Surrender Certificate by the Consulate for onward delivery by BLS to the applicant, That Renunciation Certificate will be enclosed for applying for OCI

TarRaj

May 17, 2024
https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/oci-renewal-and-updation/
(ii) For lost of passports after June 1, 2010 - With the availability of copy of the lost passport, the applicant has to take pre-approval for submission of surrender application without the passport (as the passport is lost) at the BLS and on receiving the surrender application at the Consulate, the applicant will be issued Renunciation Certificate in place of Surrender Certificate by the Consulate for onward delivery by BLS to the applicant, That Renunciation Certificate will be enclosed for applying for OCI
Thanks sir for quick response
I raised a query related that. How much time they take to answer . And there was no any column to provide name, contact and passport details . I just wrote my nane and email in query.

ThenT

Star Member
Oct 6, 2023
Hi,

My OCI application time line:

2 applications in person @ Mississauga: April 16, 2024
Date of Acknowledgment: April 24, 2024
OCI number and Print status: May 15, 2024
Dispatched from MEA: May 16, 2024

TQ

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
Hi,

TQ
our timelines are almost identical (see my signature); my BLS location was Toronto. i guess another 2 weeks for receiving OCIs at home.

Reactions: ThenT

nav_dhamu

Jun 13, 2021
Hi,

TQ
Hey! I am almost in the same boat. My OCI was dispatched on May 15. Do you have any idea about how long will it take to reach Toronto? I was going through some old comments and saw that it reached Toronto on the same date (as per other's timelines). Thank you

fallcolours

Star Member
Oct 19, 2017
OCI Update:

Application Submitted: 11th May 2024
Acknowledgement: 17th May 2024

update to follow.....

The story about submission: opted for premium lounge service, went there on time, and security took us directly to an agent in the lounge room. had an initial inspection by one of them, followed by another. At this point, I realized I didn't have NOC from both parents, so we had to take a photo ($18 for both parent's single photo). I had to take a PR copy of one of the parents for status in Canada and the OCI of another parent; they did it ( no charge for the NOC form and these copies). We were out after the entire process within almost an hour. (Copies+courier charge included in service). I am not advocating premium lounge, but in my experience, it was a trouble fee, no arguments, no. delays/waits, courier and photo copies included service. Well, the photo print I had in the application was not up to the specs, but they didn't care about it (if so, they have to do form filing and new photo upload, I was expecting it, but they didn't mention a single word about it and just accepted it... :). (We all know that if the photo is okay on the OCI application website, it's going to work; the printed ones don't have any relevance, but it's the photo scam play. )

Again, I am not advocating PL service; just letting you guys know my experience. ( i have used regular appointments for surrender applications(2 times) , and postal for OCI ( once- which got rejected and had to reapply making 2x courier fee)
I'm coming to the same conclusion that PL might be the better option. Especially for those who plan to pay for courier which costs $60 in any case, that extra $40 will get you plentily available BLS appointments and also peace of mind that even if there is an 'error' in your form, they will modify it. Not to mention the other services like photostat etc that you'd mentioned.

Reactions: sri88

ThenT

Star Member
Oct 6, 2023
Hey! I am almost in the same boat. My OCI was dispatched on May 15. Do you have any idea about how long will it take to reach Toronto? I was going through some old comments and saw that it reached Toronto on the same date (as per other's timelines). Thank you
Hi,

Sorry I am not sure about that.

sri88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2022
I'm coming to the same conclusion that PL might be the better option. Especially for those who plan to pay for courier which costs $60 in any case, that extra $40 will get you plentily available BLS appointments and also peace of mind that even if there is an 'error' in your form, they will modify it. Not to mention the other services like photostat etc that you'd mentioned.
Exactly.. Reading the experience of others here in this thread, it seems BLS somehow finds mistake in your application (especially OCI , as they know this is the last time you get their service) and makes you pay an extra fee, and i have seen crowded lougne with these applicants waiting to be called.. Considering these PL is not a bad choice if you are willing to pay $40, and you get even the same-day appointments.

Last edited:
Reactions: fallcolours