+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Can someone please advise
if we have to apply for Canadian passport after getting the certificate or can I travel on my Indian Passport and apply Canadian passport from a different country.
Do we have to surrender the Indian passport as we get the citizenship certificate.
How long is your plan to stay out of Canada?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I am not sure how long it could be tbh.
The process to get a passport outside Canada is pretty slow one. Because of consulate employee reduction in India, not sure realistic time these days of it. So you have to time your surrender after you get your passport. If it delays there could be penalty when you surrender your Indian passport as within India there seems to be a time limit to get exit/entry visa. Also it could complicate your stay in India. In case you have to return to Canada that uld also not be possible till you get ur Canadian passport.

letbx

Star Member
Dec 12, 2017
Category........
CEC
The process to get a passport outside Canada is pretty slow one. Because of consulate employee reduction in India, not sure realistic time these days of it. So you have to time your surrender after you get your passport. If it delays there could be penalty when you surrender your Indian passport as within India there seems to be a time limit to get exit/entry visa. Also it could complicate your stay in India. In case you have to return to Canada that uld also not be possible till you get ur Canadian passport.
will be in Australia

rockstarcg90

Star Member
Dec 6, 2022
Mine got processed, Dispatched & Received at Toronto all on Dec 22 and still waiting to receive in hand. I think it takes 3-4 working days
I think it's because of the holidays here in Canada. Technically they should dispatch it tomorrow and you should receive in hand by Friday or latest early next week after New Year.

@chahalm to answer your question it depends on any holidays fall in between. If not 3 - 4 working days from processed state.

mk9353

Star Member
Oct 10, 2023
This should anyone applying for OCI but marital status is Separated but not Divorced.

So I visited Indian Consulate Toronto today and met with an officer. The officer advised me not to apply for OCI until my marital status is not updated from "Separated" to "Divorced". They even asked me to hold on applying for a Visa. The reason they told me is once I marry again and my spouse do any paperwork then it will be a conflict. TBH I didn't understand what conflict they were referring but what I understood is Indian Consulate do not fully understand "Separated" marital status. Things are easier for Unmarried/Married/Divorced but for Separated status they tend to make it a big deal. The situation is unique so please take a note of it and help if someone will be in similar situation. I will wait for my final Divorce papers and apply for e-visa to travel to India. Whenever I am married again, I will apply for OCI.

suppar

Dec 20, 2023
I am applying for e-visa since my OCI re-issue has no arrived yet and the application asks for
1. Last Indian Visa No/Currently valid Indian Visa No.
2. Last Indian Visa no / Currently valid Visa no

For number 2 there is no option for OCI, what should be put instead?

Simmy08

Nov 2, 2023
Hey guys! Just wanted to provide an update for Vancouver. I had 4 OCI applications and 3/4 have been processed and will be delivered tomorrow.

application date: Oct 18
Ack date: Oct 20
Processed on Dec 24

hopefully the last one gets processed soon!

gbiradar

Jan 28, 2018
Hopefully I will receive my OCI card soon, applied 4th Nov.
Have scheduled walk in appointment for my wife's OCI - last week of Jan-2024. Does she need my original OCI card and Canadian Passport for the appointment?
Any inputs on this would be appreciated.

chahalm

Nov 14, 2023
I’m at the same status. I believe it means the high commission has delivered the document to BLS but they have yet to process it for pickup or shipment. My guess based on the posts here it’s gonna be shipped out hopefully in the next 1-2 days
After how many days this status was on bls website ?