+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI - Employment Proof

dolexd

Sep 20, 2014
Hello,

I am applying for my OCI card and there is column which asks for Employment proof. I am currently unemployed due to COVID, do I have to submit any other document or should I write a letter explaining my situation?

Kindly help.

Thanks and Kind Regards,

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
Hello,

I am applying for my OCI card and there is column which asks for Employment proof. I am currently unemployed due to COVID, do I have to submit any other document or should I write a letter explaining my situation?

Kindly help.

Thanks and Kind Regards,
Hi, you need not upload anything for this section. I am employed and did not upload a letter or explanation and I still received my card, which just listed my occupation. So if you have an area you used to work in, you can list that in your online application but need not give proof . Good luck.

dolexd

Sep 20, 2014
Oh great. Thanks a lot. Do you have submit original documents? I am quite unsure if I should send all my original documents?

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
Oh great. Thanks a lot. Do you have submit original documents? I am quite unsure if I should send all my original documents?
I applied via mail through Toronto jurisdiction for surrender + OCI and the only original I was asked to submit was my Indian passport. Not sure if that would be different if you were only applying for OCI. Best to ask BLS.

dolexd

Sep 20, 2014
Oh ok. I called BLS, they are asking documents that are not required too. So I am confused.

r_0787

Oct 17, 2016
Oh ok. I called BLS, they are asking documents that are not required too. So I am confused.
HI I am unemplyed as of now from last 3 months, please let me know can I apply for OCI in my present situtuation, and how did it go for you. Thanks

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
HI I am unemplyed as of now from last 3 months, please let me know can I apply for OCI in my present situtuation, and how did it go for you. Thanks
Its not part of eligibility hence not sure why you are worried about it.

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017
Hello,

Kindly help.

Thanks and Kind Regards,
hey can you tell me what did you do.. similar situation, should I just update occupation as "professional" and address as "unemployed"

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
hey can you tell me what did you do.. similar situation, should I just update occupation as "professional" and address as "unemployed"
If you are unemployed quote that instead of mentioning Professional.
The issue really happens when an applicant who works in the Federal Govt includes that information

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017
If you are unemployed quote that instead of mentioning Professional.
The issue really happens when an applicant who works in the Federal Govt includes that information
that field is a drop down and there's no option for unemployed. I worked at a bank previously and my contract ended months back.. job search currently

golakersri23

Oct 16, 2018
I updated as

31. Occupation PROFESSIONAL
32. Employer's Address UNEMPLOYED
33. Employer's contact number 00000000000
Did it work? Please let me know how you proceed.

I am currently in a similar situation and when I checked with BLS she told me to mention occupation as OTHERS and Employee contact address and number as NOT APPLICABLE.

Dec 23, 2023
Did it work? Please let me know how you proceed.

I am currently in a similar situation and when I checked with BLS she told me to mention occupation as OTHERS and Employee contact address and number as NOT APPLICABLE.

Did it work? I was a student before when I got my old oci card. Now I m nomore a student and currently searching for work. What do I put as occupation?

golakersri23

Oct 16, 2018
Did it work? I was a student before when I got my old oci card. Now I m nomore a student and currently searching for work. What do I put as occupation?
It worked for me. I specified my occupation as professional and submitted an explanatory letter stating that I am actively seeking employment in line with my profession.