Med's Request
18-09-2013
Med's Done....
08-10-2013
Passport Req..
05-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2013
I did my landing for my Canadian permanent residency a year back and then came back to USA. Now I am planning to relocate to Canada. But last time I forgot to apply for the health insurance cards.

Is there a way I could apply it from USA? I don't want to travel to Canada without a health insurance. What is the best way for me to receive it before relocating fully?

Experts, any help would be greatly appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You cannot apply from the US - you will have to wait until you have arrived in Canada. Where do you plan to settle? Which province? Most likely you will have a three month waiting period when you return to Canada before you will qualify for coverage. You'll need to purchase private insurance to cover yourself during this period.

1978bubun

Star Member
Sep 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2013
AOR Received.
28-06-2013
Med's Request
18-09-2013
Med's Done....
08-10-2013
Passport Req..
05-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2013
scylla said:
You cannot apply from the US - you will have to wait until you have arrived in Canada. Where do you plan to settle? Which province? Most likely you will have a three month waiting period when you return to Canada before you will qualify for coverage. You'll need to purchase private insurance to cover yourself during this period.
Hi scylla,

How good are the private insurances? Will it cover for my wife's pregnancy? Any idea how much does it cost for two people per month (a good insurance covering most stuff)?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1978bubun said:
Hi scylla,

How good are the private insurances? Will it cover for my wife's pregnancy? Any idea how much does it cost for two people per month (a good insurance covering most stuff)?
No - it won't cover your wife's pregnancy. The only private insurance that will cover some costs related to your wife's pregnancy would have had to have been purchased before she was actually pregnant. If she's already pregnant - it's too late. You'll have to pay for all costs related to her pregnancy out of pocket while you wait for the Canadian coverage to kick in. When is she due? You should plan to arrive five months before if possible to ensure you have coverage by the time she is due to give birth and to give yourself some wiggle room in the event the baby comes early.

reikiprince

Apr 28, 2015
Dear All

We became permanent resident of Canada on Sep 2015. We stayed only for 1 week in Canada then. We also have got our PR cards. Last time when we went to do health insurance card the lady asked for rental agreement and since I could not provide I could not do health cards for myself and my wife and child.

We plan to come to Canada for 3 weeks in July 2016 to do our health card. We will leave after 3 weeks.

1)Is it possible to get a house on rent for 1 month only? We don't want to pay deposit or pay more than 1 month rent for which we will be staying.
2)Will landlords do a rental agreement for 1 month only if we pay rent ?
3)Can that rent agreement be used as proof to do our health cards?
4)Any suggestion how to do health card is appreciated.

regards
reikiprince

scylla said:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
reikiprince said:
Dear All

We became permanent resident of Canada on Sep 2015. We stayed only for 1 week in Canada then. We also have got our PR cards. Last time when we went to do health insurance card the lady asked for rental agreement and since I could not provide I could not do health cards for myself and my wife and child.

We plan to come to Canada for 3 weeks in July 2016 to do our health card. We will leave after 3 weeks.

1)Is it possible to get a house on rent for 1 month only? We don't want to pay deposit or pay more than 1 month rent for which we will be staying.
2)Will landlords do a rental agreement for 1 month only if we pay rent ?
3)Can that rent agreement be used as proof to do our health cards?
4)Any suggestion how to do health card is appreciated.

regards
reikiprince
There is no point applying for health cards if you're just going to leave Canada again. You need to wait until you actually move to Canada permanently before you apply. Otherwise they will end up being invalid.

Shinju

Jan 22, 2015
Dear reikiprince;

First, what part of Canada are you applying Health Care?. I am asking because it doesn't make much sense that they ask a rental agreement, they only need your passport and landing information, maybe your Canadian ID, which can be made in any service registry with your information. What they may ask is something with your name and an address. Do you have any friends in Canada?.

FYI: You don't need to wait until you actually move to Canada to get you Health Care Insurance. Is simple, when you got your residence you have a max time to relocate to Canada, if you haven't moved by that time and you had already your health care..well all of that becomes invalid.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Health cards are issued to residents, not visitors so health care does have the right to verify that you are actually living in the province where you are applying before issuing you a health card. Therefore, they can ask you to provide a utility bill sent to you at an address in that province for example.

If you are going to leave Canada again after getting the health card, be aware that in order for the health card to remain valid, you must meet the eligibility requirements of your province. In most provinces, this is residing in the province at least 6 months a year. In Ontario, it's stricter in the beginning where you have to spent the first 5/6 months in Ontario. If you know you do not meet these requirements, you should notify your health care and let them cancel your card. Coming back and using your card when you know you don't meet the requirements is considered health care fraud and is a criminal act. If you get caught doing that, you will be required to repay health care all the expenses they covered for you as well as you will be in trouble with the law.