+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Oath day and Passport applications

truedream15

Star Member
Feb 14, 2015
Hi friends,

here are my questions:

1) What kind of documents I must bring (the letter said some original ones-pls explain)
2) Can I apply for passport same day after oath?

Thanks!

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
truedream15 said:
Hi friends,

here are my questions:

1) What kind of documents I must bring (the letter said some original ones-pls explain)

Thanks!

1. Your PR card, COPR, passport , Oath invite, You do not need anything else unless they have specified.

2. You can depending on your emergency to travel. It is a bit tricky. CIC has to enter your citizenship certificate number into passport Canada system. There is a bar-code behind the certificate which will be scanned by passport Canada then your info shows up as Canadian. Usually the clerk helping the oath ceremony enters the details of the Oath participants. If you ask that clerk detailing them your need for immediate passport then depending on the mood and nature they may accept to enter it ASAP. I said it is tricky because if you ask the clerk before your ceremony they may ask you to postpone the ceremony which I strongly suggest not to. So be careful to ask them after the ceremony and then you can apply the same day. Even if it is not the same day on a regular timeline you can apply 2 days after. 110 extra for same day processing and 50 for 3 to 4 days and regular processing 7 to 10 days/

All the best. Congrats on your Oath invite.

truedream15

Star Member
Feb 14, 2015
Thank you chikloo!

I think I will wait for some time to apply as I am not in a hurry. Also one more question: what if I still have both a PR card (valid) after oath ceremony and has not applied Canada passport?

Will my info in CBSA system turn to be Canadian citizen instead of PR?

chikloo said:
1. Your PR card, COPR, passport , Oath invite, You do not need anything else unless they have specified.

2. You can depending on your emergency to travel. It is a bit tricky. CIC has to enter your citizenship certificate number into passport Canada system. There is a bar-code behind the certificate which will be scanned by passport Canada then your info shows up as Canadian. Usually the clerk helping the oath ceremony enters the details of the Oath participants. If you ask that clerk detailing them your need for immediate passport then depending on the mood and nature they may accept to enter it ASAP. I said it is tricky because if you ask the clerk before your ceremony they may ask you to postpone the ceremony which I strongly suggest not to. So be careful to ask them after the ceremony and then you can apply the same day. Even if it is not the same day on a regular timeline you can apply 2 days after. 110 extra for same day processing and 50 for 3 to 4 days and regular processing 7 to 10 days/

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

truedream15 said:
Thank you chikloo!

I think I will wait for some time to apply as I am not in a hurry. Also one more question: what if I still have both a PR card (valid) after oath ceremony and has not applied Canada passport?

Will my info in CBSA system turn to be Canadian citizen instead of PR?
1, You won't have a valid PR card as it will taken from you at the ceremony,
2. No, It doesn't update CBSA system.

CANADAPATRIOT

Star Member
Feb 28, 2016
chikloo said:

A question? Does your home country passport have to be valid when you bring it on oath day? What if you are living as a Permanent resident in Canada and waiting for oath and home country passport has expired?

leycute

Star Member
Mar 3, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
truedream15 said:
Hi friends,

here are my questions:

Thanks!

I applied passport the same day after oath, everything went well and I'm from Vancouver.. most of them waited for 2-3 days after oath, but I just give it a shot since my application is all set.. no rush either.. within a week got my passport yay best of luck

canmozu

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
CANADAPATRIOT said:
A question? Does your home country passport have to be valid when you bring it on oath day? What if you are living as a Permanent resident in Canada and waiting for oath and home country passport has expired?
Regardless of your home country valid or expired passport you are holding you will be able to take oath and become Canadian.

kazamo

Feb 16, 2016
Can i apply for passport same day as oath?

I need passport urgently as i am travelling soon

My oath is 8 march 10.30 am..at scarborough.

canmozu

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
chikloo said:

kazamo said:

Read the above quoted chikloo post for your answer
Passport Canada Office is in the same building on the second floor so it will be convenient for you to apply for passport on the same day.

YNSAFDARI

Star Member
Feb 6, 2016
kazamo said:

Yes you can, provided they accept it on the condition that your citizenship details have been entered into passport Canada system, but not sure if you would get it urgently, it still takes 2 - 3 days.

YNSAFDARI

Star Member
Feb 6, 2016
CANADAPATRIOT said:
It does not matter unless CIC has specifically asked you to bring your valid home country passport for oath ceremony.