Notorius Canadian Embassies - a case study

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Generally Canadian Embassies all over the world prove difficult in granting visas. The story in the link below is a case study from Nigeria and it depicts how Canadian embassies all over the world treat visa applicants. Please read.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201009220393.html

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
This one comment struck me as strange so I went to read a little...

"In the visa application form, they requested that I supply the names of my children and they only provided two spaces for this."
In the guide in the section..."Completing the forms".

If you have more than three family members, photocopy the
first page of the application before you start completing it. Make enough copies to fill in details
about all your family members.
So you are telling me a high level lawyer is unable to read and follow a simple instruction that I found within 2 minutes?

Then I read...
'You can imagine being asked to go and bring the original birth certificates of my children, and that I should leave the certificates with them!'

'It so ridiculous, my children are not travelling with me, why ask for the originals?
And going to the Nigerian High Commission website the list of documents is easily found...

The following original documents must be submitted. Failure to submit all the requested documentation may result in the refusal of your application.
They even BOLD original.

And right below...in the list...

Personal Documents: documents to show you have personal ties to your homeland. Marriage certificate, birth certificates of each of your children, etc.
Again...another example of someone not reading and not following the instructions.

Bad reporting...obviously with an agenda. Personally any lawyer that can't manage to read and follow a visa application and documents might not be a lawyer I would be likely to hire. If he can't get a simple visa application right...what else will he screw up that affects your case, your home purchase, your business deal?

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
frolic said:
This one comment struck me as strange so I went to read a little...

In the guide in the section..."Completing the forms".

So you are telling me a high level lawyer is unable to read and follow a simple instruction that I found within 2 minutes?

Then I read...
And going to the Nigerian High Commission website the list of documents is easily found...

They even BOLD original.

And right below...in the list...

Again...another example of someone not reading and not following the instructions.

Bad reporting...obviously with an agenda. Personally any lawyer that can't manage to read and follow a visa application and documents might not be a lawyer I would be likely to hire. If he can't get a simple visa application right...what else will he screw up that affects your case, your home purchase, your business deal?
If i recall, the article had more than just this one case. I wonder why you have picked just on this and are then passing judgement based on it. Hmm... bias??. At any rate, the issue was not about "not reading the instructions" it was more about the embassy's demands. OK take a scenario where this guys childent live abroad and he doensnt have access to their birth certificates? Or better still where the children live in Canada and he is trying to visit them. Think man... think!!

Do you know on that same form that you referred to, they asked to list all sibblings and step-sibblings and their addresses. LOL. Common man! My dad has over 20 step sibblings! He doesn't even know where they all live. We need to think before we post men. dont come here with some well arranged pretty post and think you are making a point. We are all educated here.

...and by the way what are you doing at the Nigerian High Commision website?? Are you sure you are looking at the right forms?? Oh you probably meant the Canadian High Commission in Nigeria website. :-\

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
Actually I didn't pick on just ONE thing. I commented on two different things.

One...they obviously did not read the guide in order to know to photocopy the family page if they needed more space. A dumb mistake.

Two...the embassy asked for originals. If you are not attentive enough to read the bolded word "originals" it is just another mistake on their part.

It just seems that they are trying to blame the High Comission for THEIR OWN ERRORS.

Since you don't like what I picked on to start with...

Given the calibre of Nigerian lawyers that attend IBA conferences and the considerably high cost, it's unlikely that unscrupulous persons would take advantage to get visas to seek greener pastures.
Given the quality of their comprehension of simple instructions and lack of attention to detail...I would say the calibre of the lawyers is very low. Given that calibre I do NOT see how you can conclude that they are beyond suspiscion and should be automatically given visas.

From the Embassy site for Nigeria...
Processing times for visitor applications are 30 working days or more depending on the volume of applications received at the visa office.
So this is clearly laid out ahead of time...yet...

I also believe they had too many people applying at the same time and they just became overwhelmed. 'But then I don't see this as a good excuse, because we told them and gave them long notice that many Nigerian lawyers would be attending the IBA Conference in Canada.
Sure they can warn the High Commission that many applications are coming with long notice...BUT...they aren't smart enough to plan ahead and actually APPLY well ahead of time? Poor planning I would say. And lazy too. Instead of doing the work ahead of time they expect to "warn" the High Commission that many applications are coming and expect them to do what? Hire more staff? Stop processing everything else? It doesn't work that way and it was clearly right there on the website for them.

There is no bias here. I know the rules and application process and I know what the embassy demands where I have had several applications processed. I may not agree with everything they demand, but I know if someone doesn't comply due to dumb mistakes and "feeling miffed" then I have no sympathy for their refusal.