+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Notifying immigration about new health condition?

elkan

Star Member
Sep 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2010
AOR Received.
23-11-2010
Passport Req..
13-05-2011
Hi there,
Just wondering if anybody can provide some insight here before I inquire with my consultant. My partner had his medical done back in July, and all was well.. he's a healthy guy. In fact, medical results have been received at the VO in Buffalo. We just found out this week, that he has been diagnosed with testicular cancer and will begin radiation / chemo in a couple of months. He was originally going to come and stay with me for a few months to wait out the process until a decision was made, but now it's looking like he'll have to stay in the US until treatment is done. At what point, if at any... should we be letting immigration know? Does this impact our application?

Jen85

Oct 23, 2010
Deep Brook, Nova Scotia
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2010
Doc's Request.
06-05-11 / Sent RCMP Check in 14-06-11
AOR Received.
09-12-2010
File Transfer...
30-11-2010
Med's Request
Meds Received
Med's Done....
25-10-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-07-11
LANDED..........
30-09-11
Oh wow, I am so sorry to hear about your partners bad news. What a blow. I hope the treatment is successful and over quickly.

I think you should tell them. My understanding is that he will not be refused if being sponsored by a spouse or common law partner unless it was something contagious that would affect other Canadians. If he was immigrating any other way (ie business class), he would most likely be refused because he would be considered a drain on the medical system in Canada. It may delay the process as they may want more information from his doctor, but I don't think he will be refused.

Good luck and I hope you can both be together soon.

confusednscared

Feb 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Outland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-06-2009 CPC-M
Doc's Request.
NONE
Med's Request
2009, 2010
Interview........
14-09-2010
Passport Req..
02-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-08-2011
LANDED..........
14-09-2011
First off, I am very sorry to hear about your partner's illness. I hope that he gets a speedy recovery.

I think you should leave it as is if you know you have a strong application and you will be approved without an interview. On another note, if he comes to Canada after being approved it will take him sometime to adjust into the system and most importantly get put on Provincial health insurance. I know in some provinces like Ontario it takes 3 months before a PR is insured while in Alberta it's immediately. Could take a lot out of your pockets for his treatment while he is uninsured in Canada.

Upon issuance of his PR visa he will have up to a period of 6 months to land before his visa expires. Do you think that from now to lets say January if he gets his PR visa for Canada and waiting off for an additional 6 months to June would give him ample time to complete his treatment? Or let's say the next 9 months ahead to get everything completed?

Another option is to withdraw from the application, wait until his treatment is over and then reapply. In this case you will still get to see each other and spend time together.

I hope someone else can give you a much clearer advice.

Good luck to you and your hubby.