+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not PR yet, but already in Canada, anybody?

Indigo

Oct 22, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin, Germany
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-09-2011
AOR Received.
05-01-2012
File Transfer...
25-11-2011
Med's Done....
26-08-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2012 (COPR)
LANDED..........
22-01-2012
I came to Canada last January from Europe, we got married last May and went on honeymoon last June, after which I re-entered Canada and got another 6 months after explaining everything to the border officer on the airport and showing him proof that we were in fact applying.
My 6 months run out halfway through December, so we intend to file for an extension through snail-mail in early/middle November. Let's hope I either will be a PR by the time they processed that, or they will approve my extension!

Meanwhile I am in Canada as a visitor. Since I'm not allowed to work or study, I make sure things run smoothly in our household while my husband is in a very intense Masters' university program. I also spend a lot of time on home improvement (painting etc.), we volunteer to foster kittens for a cat rescue (we currently have 3) and I recently became a webmaster for the same cat rescue (also volunteer work). I am not exactly bored!

It feels like I live here, and at the same time it doesn't. Very strange. I'm not here yet, and I'm not there anymore...

Are there more people here in a similar situation? Do you think it's easier on us (we get to be with our loved ones) or harder (we can't work or study and need creativity to fill up our days) than future PR's who are not in Canada?
I think for us both, it is a lot easier that I am here. The heartbreak of being apart can be pretty devastating, and in our case it got worse the longer we were in a relationship but not physically together. For our sanity, this is the best solution.

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
06/05/2011 Received in Buffalo, 06/2011 to Los Angeles
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
waived...obviously cuz we got the PPR
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
24/8/2011 in our hands 8/29/2011
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
In my opinion, if you financially can handle it, its better...My husband and I were apart for a year after we got married, mind you he came to visit 4 times during that year, but when he finally came to visit during the rest of the process it was much less stressful on me at least...he maintained the house and kids all summer while I worked, and now with my new job, he even has a nice hot meal on the table when I get home from work now, while he is still looking for work. The bonus part of your volunteering is, you will have Canadian eperience on your resume....

awor

Nov 4, 2010
Oregon to Alberta
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> LA
App. Filed.......
26 Aug 2011
AOR Received.
15 Dec 2011
File Transfer...
[b]CPC-M to Buffalo:[/b] 03 Nov 2011 [b]Buffalo to LA:[/b] 19 Jan 2012
Med's Done....
11 Apr 2011 [b]Ecas shows received [/b]5 Mar 2012
Passport Req..
7 Mar 2012 [b]Decision Made[/b]: 1 Apr 2012
VISA ISSUED...
29 Mar 2012 [b] CORP Received[/b]: 19 Apr 2012
LANDED..........
Sumas: 25 April 2012 / [b]PR Cards Received[/b]: 4 July 2012
My hubby and I see each other for a few weeks about every 6 months. Being in Canada and "only" being able to do hobbies will be far better, but we can financially do it, and I have a ton of hobbies and will also have horses and a farm to keep me occupied. I'll also be doing all the prep work for starting my soap making/selling business, and transferring my web development business from US to Canada. Plus 4 kids! If I was only going to be sitting on my butt watching TV and gaining weight being bored.... I'd probably stay here.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It doesn't sound like any of your are bored but if you were, you can also keep in mind that you are allowed to take courses that can be completed before your visit visas expire (less than 6 months) and that don't give college credits.

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Indigo said:
It feels like I live here, and at the same time it doesn't. Very strange. I'm not here yet, and I'm not there anymore...
I waited in Canada for PR and this is what I also felt like. I was surprised by how it felt to be in this state of neither here nor there.

Sounds like you are staying busy. That is important. Hang in there...

JenB

Star Member
Oct 15, 2010
Whistler!
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 4th 2011
Med's Done....
Jan 17th 2011
Passport Req..
October 27th 2011
It must be hard waiting here and not being able to work at this time of the year, cold wet and miserable out and nothing to do! I'm lucky I can work (for now!) I don't know what I'll do if my work permit extension gets rejected before I get my residency! Hopefully the snow will have started and I'll just have to suck it up and snowboard everyday while the oh pays the bills... Hehehe

Indigo

Oct 22, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin, Germany
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-09-2011
AOR Received.
05-01-2012
File Transfer...
25-11-2011
Med's Done....
26-08-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2012 (COPR)
LANDED..........
22-01-2012
JenB said:
It must be hard waiting here and not being able to work at this time of the year, cold wet and miserable out and nothing to do!
(..)
Hard? Sometimes maybe, but I consider myself one of the lucky ones. :)

Sure, I might have had a job if I stayed in The Netherlands. Most likely though, it would be an "emergency job" and not something I actually enjoy doing and/or am trained for, since it would have been only for a few months.
Sure I would have made money, but would they actually have covered my expenses including rent and utilities if it was an "emergency job"?
Sure I would have had a way to spend my days, but my nights would be spent whispering sweet nothings to a computer screen where I would have Skype open on video chat with my significant other, and the lack of being together would have continued to depress both of us.

As long as I continue to have goals and projects to work on during the day, I'm fine. Actually, it's a great way to get things done that never get done otherwise. Like scanning and sorting 3 generations of photos (I know, I'm insane, lol!), trying new recipes, creating a budget tool...

No, I much prefer my situation as a Pre-PR Canada-dweller. Together with my hubby, because home is wherever we can be together. :)

aerogurl87

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2012
Doc's Request.
12-02-13
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Med's Done....
23-04-2012
Interview........
WAIVED!!!! :)
Passport Req..
12-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
I think it's easier if you get to live together during the process. I'm on a work visa in Canada right now and living with my boyfriend and I can say that although sometimes I get homesick, I love being able to come home to him every night. When we were long distance for the first year of us dating, I almost lost it. I cried myself to sleep for one month straight after our second visit, so I know I wouldn't be able to take being away from him after we started the process for PR.

Indigo

Oct 22, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin, Germany
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-09-2011
AOR Received.
05-01-2012
File Transfer...
25-11-2011
Med's Done....
26-08-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2012 (COPR)
LANDED..........
22-01-2012
aerogurl87 said:
I think it's easier if you get to live together during the process. I'm on a work visa in Canada right now and living with my boyfriend and I can say that although sometimes I get homesick, I love being able to come home to him every night. When we were long distance for the first year of us dating, I almost lost it. I cried myself to sleep for one month straight after our second visit, so I know I wouldn't be able to take being away from him after we started the process for PR.
I know a couple who did that for 7 years. Can you imagine? It sounds so horrible to me! We did the long distance thing for 2½ years, the longer we were a couple, the harder it got. In the end it was a struggle. So when I lost my job, we didn't have to think long about how to proceed. We are living on 1 student income + student loan now. Poor, but happy! But to be fair, I can't wait till I can work and thus turn around our financial situation. And save for a little one, lol!

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
My partner and I were long distance for 5 years before I came to Canada in 2009. It was hard to be a visitor but my PR app was processed really fast. What I found harder was settling in and finding something productive to do AFTER I became a PR. Finding work without Canadian experience or networks is tough. I ended up going back to school to study accounting (I was a math teacher in the states for 20 years and my credentials for teaching weren't recognized here) and still found it tough to get a job.

Now finally after 2 years I am working at a job I got through the network of personal contacts I have made here. Funny thing is I'm not using any of my degrees, recent accounting training, or professional experience and I'm a VP in a small civil engineering firm. The owner of the company is someone my partner and I have gotten to know socially since I've been here. He just called me up one day, said his business was swamped and asked would I come and work for him. What a God send, and boy does he have one able, motivated and loyal employee!

imp

Star Member
Feb 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-06-2011
AOR Received.
24-08-2011
Med's Done....
17-05-2011
Passport Req..
09-01-2012
I've been in Canada since May when I finished school. I get bored sometimes not being able to work while my husband is gone for 10 hours a day or so during the week but there's always something to do even if it's not fun and exciting. Winter is going to be a bit worse but I'll deal with it. When I was still going to school and we only got to visit around once a month and only for a weekend it was horrible even though we talked to each other every day it's not the same as being with each other. I just don't think we could do it again for an extended, and unknown, period when we don't have to. At least when I was going to school there was a set time I knew I was going to be done and then we could be together provided my evil professor didn't fail me. lol If we had no choice then we'd do what we had to but I'm grateful every day that we are able to be together even though I feel like Canada doesn't want me. Then I want to get all angry and be like well Canada I don't want you either but you have my husband dammit!

tulamoon

Star Member
Jan 20, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2011
Doc's Request.
--
AOR Received.
--
Med's Done....
25-02-2011
Interview........
--
Passport Req..
--
VISA ISSUED...
--
LANDED..........
--
My husband has been in Canada on a student visa since September 2010.. But over the 3 months over the summer when he wasn't in school was a little depressing for him because he felt like he wasn't contributing at all. But I think its definitely easier to be together, it was a strain financially for us and we're still recovering from that, but worth it I think.

aerogurl87

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2012
Doc's Request.
12-02-13
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Med's Done....
23-04-2012
Interview........
WAIVED!!!! :)
Passport Req..
12-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
Indigo said:
I know a couple who did that for 7 years. Can you imagine? It sounds so horrible to me! We did the long distance thing for 2½ years, the longer we were a couple, the harder it got. In the end it was a struggle. So when I lost my job, we didn't have to think long about how to proceed. We are living on 1 student income + student loan now. Poor, but happy! But to be fair, I can't wait till I can work and thus turn around our financial situation. And save for a little one, lol!
7 years!?!?!?! :eek: Yeah I don't think I could do that. I mean as much as I love my boyfriend, I don't think either of us could take being apart for 7 years. I'm visiting my parents in the US for 10 days and I already miss him like crazy, but luckily I know that I'll be home soon again (just 6 more days to go now, lol). When my boyfriend and I first lived together we were living with his family and since UPS messed up my shipment we struggled for a bit for the first two months or so since I had to buy a whole new wardrobe and we had to buy everything we didn't have the apartment we were given two months to find. It was a struggle but well worth it since he was by my side.

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
I moved up here before the marriage as well. Been here since May 2010. At first I thought I'd have a job fairly quickly, because my husband's boss wanted to hire me. The work visa was refused though, so instead I spent the first 4 months focused on learning French (we're in Quebec). After that I helped my husband with his job as his assistant, and then when he started another business as co-owner. Now I have a pseudo-job where I'm getting experience in my field with a promise of pay recognizing my work once I get my PR. In other words, I'm a volunteer but at least it's in my field and allowing me to make contacts. (We'd applied for a work visa for that job as well, and got refused again, though this time for different reasons.)

I think the hardest part at first was not having any real reason to leave the house every day. Plus we live in a smaller city in QC, so very few people speak English. It's been over a year now, and I'm still having trouble making real friends. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that I'm here with my husband, but there are times when I miss home - my family, friends, the comforts of the known. I'm also really tired of being a "visitor" and not being able to look for a better job

rouvie

Star Member
Oct 4, 2011
Indigo said:
I can feel your burden Indigo, we're kinda same situation. I'm currently here in canada waiting for PR as well..it's really hard when it's only one person earning money. you have to rely on pay chech to paycheck. you can't help but to cry on your situation sometimes. because there's a point that you really wanna help but you cannot do anything. we thought about the plan a hundred times and we decided to live together while waiting coz we just a child 6 mos ago. I did everything to lengthened my stay here in canada..my permit got expired last june and i never apply for extension after that which my intension to count less than 90 days and before i reach my 90 days I apply for my restoration as a visitor..I didn't do it online because i know thta's the fastest way to process your restoration which would take 60 days or so, I did it by mail so the process can take up to 165 days or so that's almost 6 mos, i thought about it while waiting for the processing. my PR app may come first before even they look at my restoration app. for me i'm still happy to what I have right now..I'd rather want to wake up in the morning with your love ones, than living far away from each other... :) :) :)