+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not meeting residency obligation--PR valid--Travelling to Canada

tirmizi

Jan 17, 2011
Hi,

I am not and cannot meet 730 days residency obligation , still have valid PR expiring in 3 months.

Family living in Canada but I am away for the last 5 months and Planning to travel to Canada shortly.

How should I handle the matter on entry ?

Please help...

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just be cool. If they ask you anything, tell the truth. If they don't ask you anything, don't tell them anything. From what I have heard from people entering with still valid PR cards while not meeting the requirements is that it seems to be uncommon to be reported on entry.

If you get in without a problem, you should not apply to renew your PR card until you meet the requirements again. That means that you have 730 days in Canada in the previous 5 years immediately before you apply.

tirmizi

Jan 17, 2011
Thanks Leon or your sincere guidance....

Actually after the latest Immigration Minister speach "Citizen not for sale" everybody is quite tense about how will be he treated at POE. I used to visit regulary almost every 2 months with 2 weeks stay in Canada. However this time it is almost 5 months outside . SHould I indicate the exact date of exit ?

I was outside for 2 reasons.. one is my business visit and second to acompany my mother due to her health. What will be the better reason to say at POE.

Appreciate your help please...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tirmizi said:
SHould I indicate the exact date of exit ?

I was outside for 2 reasons.. one is my business visit and second to acompany my mother due to her health. What will be the better reason to say at POE.
Indicate the date of exit if they ask. If they don't ask, then don't. Giving them too much information they haven't asked for will make them think you are hiding something.

Mothers health is a much better reason to be gone for 5 months unless you are working for a Canadian employer and they transferred you outside Canada to work on a project.

tirmizi

Jan 17, 2011
I really gratefull leon....
My concerns are very much clear now...

Further regarding the date as you know has to be mentioned on embarkment card ... What do you advise in this regard if I mention some 2 months old date ?

Is it possible to have your contact No ( cell) ?

Thanks again

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
tirmizi said:
I really gratefull leon....
My concerns are very much clear now...

Further regarding the date as you know has to be mentioned on embarkment card ... What do you advise in this regard if I mention some 2 months old date ?

Is it possible to have your contact No ( cell) ?

Thanks again
Be honest about the dates on the embarkment card. You need to indicate the exact / correct date.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right, don't lie. Anything they ask, tell the truth. Embarkment card same thing.

tirmizi

Jan 17, 2011
Thanks God I entered successully without any questioning.
I mentioned straightly the reason of travel as parents health. There was no further questioning.

Only thing he mentioned was that the PR is expiring in May so I should start the renew process...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tirmizi said:
Only thing he mentioned was that the PR is expiring in May so I should start the renew process...
As I mentioned earlier, it would be smarter if you don't meet the requirements that you wait to renew until you do. There is no law that says you must have a PR card while you are staying in Canada. You will not be able to travel for the next 2 years but if you try to apply to renew now, you take the risk that they will say no and kick you out.

iahh

Dec 21, 2011
tirmizi said:
Thanks God I entered successully without any questioning.
I mentioned straightly the reason of travel as parents health. There was no further questioning.

You went through which POE?