+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not an american citizen!

josinyc

Star Member
Oct 7, 2008
Hi. In the application, we are asked to write the country of residence and the country of nationality.
A. Is there anyone here who was not born in the US but lives in the US and applied to the Buffalo office in NY?
B. Did you have to submit any proof of being legal here or a proof that you entered here legally? what proof was that?

Thank you.

todiefor

Star Member
Jul 9, 2008
I am not born in the US but I applied at Buffalo. I've been legally admitted in the US for more than 1 yr. because of my L1 visa. Staying in the US for a year or more LEGALLY is one of the basic requirement that you can apply in Buffalo.

One of the proof that I submitted on my application is the copy of my L1 visa and I-94.

Hope this helps.

pbusa15

Feb 2, 2008
rupeshhari said:
josinyc said:
Hi. In the application, we are asked to write the country of residence and the country of nationality.
A. Is there anyone here who was not born in the US but lives in the US and applied to the Buffalo office in NY?
B. Did you have to submit any proof of being legal here or a proof that you entered here legally? what proof was that?

Thank you.
A. I am not born in the US but plan to apply through Buffalo because I live here in the US on an F1 visa.
B. For proof of being here, I plan to photocopy (and maybe notarize it) the visa page of my passport.

I haven't applied yet but this is what I plan to do.

Good luck!
The photocopy of visa page is not enough proof for being here on F1 status. You are also need to send your I-20 along with your application. Otherwise they may send your application back. It happened with my friend.

Bluff Master

Star Member
Feb 12, 2008
If you entered US legally you can apply via Buffalo office. To proof your legal status and entry in US, you can submit a copy of your visa, I-94 (most important), DL license, work permit (if any), letter from school or employer, paystubs and tax return (if working).

GOOD LUCK.

josinyc

Star Member
Oct 7, 2008
Well, I entered in the U.S legally for six months. Then I became illegal for 1 year, then I became legal with work permit for 3 years, having my Driver's License, Social Security and paying my taxes. Now, my work permit expired and I am illegal again. Can I still apply to Buffalo?
Thanks.

Bluff Master

Star Member
Feb 12, 2008
your situation is complicated. i dont want to give you any wrong informatio that can create problems for you. i have read in this forum that people with no status have been successful in getting a canadian immigration. so i know this for fact that you can get it. HOW and what documents to submit and what not to is important.
there is no risk in applying yourself. Just fill out the complete application, submit fees, and documents. THe officer in Buffalo will look at your application, and if he will be able to process your application, you will receive a receipt from CIC else your packet with money will come back with an inforamtion on what to do
GOOD LUCK.

josinyc

Star Member
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks. Now, since Buffalo only accepts the regular application, Do I send a copy of the documents(Funds, Police, Education, etc) along with the application or they will ask for them later?

Thanks again!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Read your application guide. As far as I know, for regular, you send everything right away.

columbus

Oct 13, 2008
josy
As far as you ve been legal in USA for 12 months, u can be admitted. Dont worry about it. When I applied for my PR in Buffallo , I was with no status in USA, but previously I was. SO they granted me the PR and I m living now in Canada. Just include you working permit and other proof and tell them the truth if ever they require some more explanations. That s what I did and God came to help.
Good luck

Columbus

josinyc

Star Member
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks Columbus.

Did they actually ask you for proof that you were legal here in the US for 12 months? If they did, did you send the original or copies? How long did your process take?

Thanks again.

columbus

Oct 13, 2008
I came to USA as a student. Upon arrival , I involved myself in LULAC case ( kind of general amnesty). So they granted me the working permit , valid for 1 year. I hired a lawyer but in vain. My case was denied. I could not renew my working. Then I was with no status. When I applied for the PR, they asked about my status . I told then that I ve any current status. So, I send them my expired working , my I20 . That s it. So Buffalo approuved my PR application and issued a visa. Quite easy. Good luck
Columbus

josinyc

Star Member
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks. When they denied mine, they kept mine. So, the only thing I have is the copy. I hope I do nto have to notorize that because they only do that when you have the original one. Was that hard for you to get a job in Canada? I do not have an employment offer. I was thing about applying to PNP Quebec. But again I wold need a job offer. Was that hard for you?

columbus

Oct 13, 2008
hiii
There are lot of job opportunities in Canada in general , in montreal in particular. One of the most requirementsis bilinguism: English/French. They really insist on that aspect. It does not mean if u speak only French or English , you wont find.

What s the stage of you application: have already done the medicals? What s your level of education and work field?
You don t need to notorize. Nut you ve to keep the original in case.