+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC related questions - IT pros please let me know what you think..

KrishnaManohar

Feb 27, 2013
Ontario
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2017
AOR Received.
16-01-2017
Med's Done....
13-01-2017
Hello,

How does CIC verify the NOC code and skill level of a candidate?

1. Is it purely based on what is described in the offer letter?
or reference letter ?
or whatever the employer says when called by cic for verification?
or do they have their own system to validate/measure it accurately?

2. I'm kinda confused between 2282 and 2171/ 2173 as I kinda do some of the duties in both these NOCs. I got the ITA with 2171 and
2282 is skill level B, but choosing that won't have impact on my CRS score.
confused as to if I should choose 2282 or just let it be?

As per my offer letter I received 2 years ago, the below are my info.

Job title : Systems Engineer

General Duties:
⦁ Researching on solutions with minimal supervision prior to responding to customers’ questions.
⦁ Develop scripts and applications based on requirements
⦁ Performing solution implementation either onsite or remotely
⦁ Documenting implementation steps
⦁ Performing knowledge transfer to customers’ IT personnel
⦁ Manning the Helpdesk to work on customers support requests by phone and email.
⦁ Logging and tracking issues with the use of Microsoft CRM and sometimes, client specific helpdesk system.
⦁ Ensuring support requests are responded and resolved based on pre-defined Services Level Agreement (SLA).
⦁ Conducting remote session to troubleshoot customers’ issues.
⦁ Communicate effectively with internal and external parties on project progress status.'
⦁ Working closely with the manufacturers’ product support teams on issues escalation.
⦁ Responding to after-hour support requests if needed.

Education requirement: Diploma or degree in a computer-related discipline

Type of establishment: IT managed services and cloud application provider of Secure Information Exchange (SIX) and Business Process Automation (BPA) solutions

I work for a company that resells business automation, fax software, document management software and some custom IT services like hosting etc From my point of view, although I do everything listed in my offer letter, my typical activities include installing, configuring these software, hardware like scanners/MFP, setting up workflows, testing, writing scripts, providing remote support to troubleshoot issues and recommendations to customers (and internal team) for new requests/modifications in a project and implement them.

I hope you are able to suggest my NOC based on this info.

2282 sounds like regular, pure "tech support". I'm leaning more towards 2171 and 2173.
I appreciate your inputs!

Thanks!

Batman_is_Real

Dec 15, 2016
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: NOC related questions

KrishnaManohar said:
Hello,

or reference letter ?

2. I'm kinda confused between 2171 and 2173 as I kinda do most of the duties in both these NOCs. I got the ITA with 2171 and confused as to if I should choose 2173 or just let it be?
These two jobs are in the same skill level.
If job duties described in reference letter has resemblance to 2171, let it be. For IT profession it tends to overlap a bit anyways so it's understandable that you are confused between 2173 and 2171.

KrishnaManohar

Feb 27, 2013
Ontario
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2017
AOR Received.
16-01-2017
Med's Done....
13-01-2017
Re: NOC related questions

Batman_is_Real said:
If job duties described in reference letter has resemblance to 2171, let it be. For IT profession it tends to overlap a bit anyways so it's understandable that you are confused between 2173 and 2171.
Thanks, Batman. I've modified the question and added more info. Please check.
I haven't asked my employer for the reference letter yet. Just gathering as much info before I proceed.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
KrishnaManohar said:
Hello,

or reference letter ?

2. I'm kinda confused between 2282 and 2171/ 2173 as I kinda do some of the duties in both these NOCs. I got the ITA with 2171 and
2282 is skill level B, but choosing that won't have impact on my CRS score.
confused as to if I should choose 2282 or just let it be?

As per my offer letter I received 2 years ago, the below are my info.

Job title : Systems Engineer

General Duties:
⦁ Researching on solutions with minimal supervision prior to responding to customers’ questions.
⦁ Develop scripts and applications based on requirements
⦁ Performing solution implementation either onsite or remotely
⦁ Documenting implementation steps
⦁ Performing knowledge transfer to customers’ IT personnel
⦁ Manning the Helpdesk to work on customers support requests by phone and email.
⦁ Logging and tracking issues with the use of Microsoft CRM and sometimes, client specific helpdesk system.
⦁ Ensuring support requests are responded and resolved based on pre-defined Services Level Agreement (SLA).
⦁ Conducting remote session to troubleshoot customers’ issues.
⦁ Communicate effectively with internal and external parties on project progress status.'
⦁ Working closely with the manufacturers’ product support teams on issues escalation.
⦁ Responding to after-hour support requests if needed.

Education requirement: Diploma or degree in a computer-related discipline

Type of establishment: IT managed services and cloud application provider of Secure Information Exchange (SIX) and Business Process Automation (BPA) solutions

I work for a company that resells business automation, fax software, document management software and some custom IT services like hosting etc From my point of view, although I do everything listed in my offer letter, my typical activities include installing, configuring these software, hardware like scanners/MFP, setting up workflows, testing, writing scripts, providing remote support to troubleshoot issues and recommendations to customers (and internal team) for new requests/modifications in a project and implement them.

I hope you are able to suggest my NOC based on this info.

2282 sounds like regular, pure "tech support". I'm leaning more towards 2171 and 2173.
I appreciate your inputs!

Thanks!
While selecting the NOC, the duties and responsibilities mentioned in the NOC should be a close match with the actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you at the respective job. You need not match the duties and responsibilities word by word, but the idea is to have the closest match in terms of the spirit of the duties and responsibilities (at least 60%-70% match).

Also, NOC should be selected on the basis of the match of actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you rather than the designation match in the NOC list. If you are not sure of your NOC, write to noc@workingincanada.gc.ca with your educational qualifications, duties and responsibilities, they will help you find the closest fit.

KrishnaManohar

Feb 27, 2013
Ontario
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2017
AOR Received.
16-01-2017
Med's Done....
13-01-2017
Hi Thanks for your response.

I work for a small-sized company with less than 20 employees and getting paid Approx. $40000 a year.
The job duties as described in my offer letter closely matches 2282 (User support technician) and also the salary range matches only 2282. I guess my company just gave me a glorifying title to make me work hard. I heard this practice is quite common.
What are your opinions?

Thanks.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
KrishnaManohar said:
Hi Thanks for your response.

I work for a small-sized company with less than 20 employees and getting paid Approx. $40000 a year.
The job duties as described in my offer letter closely matches 2282 (User support technician) and also the salary range matches only 2282. I guess my company just gave me a glorifying title to make me work hard. I heard this practice is quite common.
What are your opinions?

Thanks.
Title does not matter, what matters is the match of duties of responsibilities with the NOC.