+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC job title and roles mismatch! And Reference letter issues. Pls help!

SwathiSuresh

Mar 17, 2016
Hi,

My job title is "System Engineer" - NOC 2173. The duties listed under this NOC are mainly "Development types".

But I'm currently working in a Production support project where we do Bug fixing, code Enhancements, Analysis and diagnosis.
Part of my duties fall under 2182.

So which NOC would you advice mt to choose?

I know it all comes down to what is going to be written in my work reference letter, but I can't submit a work reference letter cos my company doesn't provide them .

it would also be very helpful if you tell me what else can be submitted instead of the reference letter.

knowAndShare

Star Member
Nov 19, 2015
Choose NOC based on your work profile and not your designation. Whichever NOC duties fits your work assignment choose that NOC. As you say 2182 looks more apt to you.
On this forum, I have seen following suggestions about substitute letters for Reference letter:
1) Get your duties, designation, full time/part time status, salary data signed by your manager. In case your manager is not able to do it get it signed from a colleague. Remember to get a signed copy of his(manager or any other colleague) official id card, business card along with it.
2) Provide any other document that can help you. Like joining letter mentioning your duties, any promotion letter, salary slips(to prove your full time/part time paid status).

** Above suggestion may not be perfect, so please do your own search on this forum. I am sure you will get more help.

vishal23489

Star Member
May 1, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SwathiSuresh said:
Hi,

My job title is "System Engineer" - NOC 2173. The duties listed under this NOC are mainly "Development types".

But I'm currently working in a Production support project where we do Bug fixing, code Enhancements, Analysis and diagnosis.
Part of my duties fall under 2182.

So which NOC would you advice mt to choose?

I know it all comes down to what is going to be written in my work reference letter, but I can't submit a work reference letter cos my company doesn't provide them .

it would also be very helpful if you tell me what else can be submitted instead of the reference letter.

Hi Swathi,
I understand your situation. I have the same difficulty in selecting the right NOC code.
My job title is Software Testing Engineer which is NOC 2173 but the duties I perform are from NOC 2283.

I've decided to go with NOC 2283 since my job duties matches with it only and 2283 also applies to Software QA person.
Please provide your input on this if I am going wrong.
Thanks.

aspirantEE

Mar 31, 2018
Hi Swathi,
I understand your situation. I have the same difficulty in selecting the right NOC code.
My job title is Software Testing Engineer which is NOC 2173 but the duties I perform are from NOC 2283.

I've decided to go with NOC 2283 since my job duties matches with it only and 2283 also applies to Software QA person.
Please provide your input on this if I am going wrong.
Thanks.
Hello Vishal - I was told that Job Code # 2282 is a non-technical role (something which fits mine) and so, am worried if I fulfill the need of Express Entry (and I may end up getting rejected/ sitting forever awaiting the ITA).

Please help me here. I have put my details in a post https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/which-noc-code-fits-me-the-best.552058/

seeking help. I am awaiting a response. Could you please check and help me here?

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hello Vishal - I was told that Job Code # 2282 is a non-technical role (something which fits mine) and so, am worried if I fulfill the need of Express Entry (and I may end up getting rejected/ sitting forever awaiting the ITA).

Please help me here. I have put my details in a post https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/which-noc-code-fits-me-the-best.552058/

seeking help. I am awaiting a response. Could you please check and help me here?
Doesn't matter technical or non technical roles as long as your job is noc 0, A or B type and noc 2282 is NOC B type. You are good to go!

aspirantEE

Mar 31, 2018
Doesn't matter technical or non technical roles as long as your job is noc 0, A or B type and noc 2282 is NOC B type. You are good to go!
Many thanks Vishal for the revert. my CRS score is coming as 437, is this score good to get through.

In what time can we expect the ITA? I am planning to apply tomorrow.

Should I apply for OINP/ SINP? (not sure if 2282 is needed there)?

Where is the fastest PNP accepted?

aspirantEE

Mar 31, 2018
ONE MORE QUESTION ishq74

My NOC Code matches 2282, based on my role and responsibilities - it is a match.

However, none of the Job Titles in my Offer-Letters have any of the example job titles for # 2282.

The job-titles which I have are (Assc. s/w engineer, s/w engnr, senior s/w engnr, Technical Lead).

Since my Job Title is a big mismatch to my Role & Duties, I need your help in identifying:-
1. should I go ahead and enter the Job Title as is there in my Offer Letter? Or I have to pick one from the example list?
2. I read LOE (letter of explanation) is mentioned above. What is the format of this letter? We have to present this letter at the time of ITA? In my case, is it needed?

The titles in the Example List are:-
  • analyst, systems technical support
  • call centre agent - technical support
  • client support representative - systems
  • computer help desk representative - systems
  • computer help desk supervisor
  • hardware installation technician
  • hardware technical support analyst
  • help desk agent, technical
  • help desk analyst - systems
  • help desk supervisor, computer
  • help desk technical agent