+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No. of absent days calculation

jay2017

Sep 5, 2017
Hi all,
I have a quick question about calculation of absent days and appreciate if you can suggest here:

The day you leave and the day you travel is not calculated as absent days? Eg: I leave on Friday evening and I am travelling back on next Friday from my home country. So these two days are not considered absent?

I found the below example online:
You leave Canada on July 5 and return to Canada on July 12 : total number of days absent are 6

satwant08

Jun 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 1, 2010
Doc's Request.
June 12, 2010
AOR Received.
September 9, 2010
IELTS Request
IELTS Done
Med's Request
Jan 25, 2013
Med's Done....
Feb 5, 2013, RPRF encashed March 6, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Jan 25, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
March 14, 2013
LANDED..........
July 13, 2013 at Pearson Airport
Hi all,
I have a quick question about calculation of absent days and appreciate if you can suggest here:

The day you leave and the day you travel is not calculated as absent days? Eg: I leave on Friday evening and I am travelling back on next Friday from my home country. So these two days are not considered absent?

I found the below example online:
You leave Canada on July 5 and return to Canada on July 12 : total number of days absent are 6
I think it would be safe to write the dates exactly as in your airlines tickets, the day you left and the day you returned. Some knowledgeable person told me that they give one day's benefit of doubt.

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
The other day around: any day you had your feet in Canada counts as present. So you just need to ask yourself, have I spent any time on a particular date in Canada and if it was just a second it counts as present.

jay2017

Sep 5, 2017
Thank you all for suggestions. I am taking out the day of travel and return from my absent list and giving a buffer of 10 days as I left Canada 6 times in 6 years. I hope it should be safe?

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
Thank you all for suggestions. I am taking out the day of travel and return from my absent list and giving a buffer of 10 days as I left Canada 6 times in 6 years. I hope it should be safe?
A good buffer is really important, so in my opinion at least 10 days.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Some caveata about dates of travel:

As others have affirmed: A day partially spent in Canada is, indeed, a day the PR was actually, physically in Canada. So it counts.

While one or two minor inaccuracies do not, ordinarily, draw much attention, it warrants remembering that most applicants want to avoid elevated scrutiny (thus delays, possibly all the inconveniences of RQ), not just avoid outright concerns about meeting the presence-requirements. So it is important to minimize even very minor mistakes, at least as much as possible.

Common sources of error:

-- Most common error is using entry stamp into another country as date of exit from Canada --

It is the date of actually exiting Canada that needs to be reported as the date the person left Canada. Many times the arrival date in another country is actually the next day, and for Trans-Pacific flights it can be two days later. Making this error two or three times can add up to an increased risk of elevated scrutiny.

-- Being on the tarmac, or even inside the terminal, does not mean the traveler is IN-Canada yet --

A person is not in Canada until they have been cleared through the PoE. Even if a traveler has been on the ground and at the gate, and then in line in the terminal for more than an hour before midnight, if clearing the PoE screening is past midnight the date of return is that day, the date it is after midnight. This is an error more likely to be noticed since IRCC often checks the applicant's declared dates of return with the CBSA travel history which should show all or nearly all dates of entry into Canada, and of course those will almost always show the date the PoE officer allows entry.

As noted, sure, this is not a serious error. One or two instances, alone, are not likely to draw attention let alone cause a problem. But again, the prospective applicant, whose aim is to sail smoothly through the process, wants to get this information as correct as possible.

This also applies to leaving Canada. If the flight is scheduled to depart at 11:30 p.m., better to report that as the date of exit, even if the flight ends up sitting on the tarmac until well past midnight.

The comfort of a good margin over the minimum:

There are many reasons why a comfortable margin is the far more comfortable, secure way to approach deciding when to make the application.

The critical one, of course, is to avoid a situation in which a mistake or three, or IRCC's perceived doubts about a few days, could put the application in jeopardy. Remember, IRCC needs to determine that the applicant for-sure was in Canada for at least the minimum, NOT a day less, or the application MUST be denied.

But another hugely important one goes back to the desire to avoid elevated scrutiny, and all the possible delays or potentially even the massively inconvenient RQ. A comfortable margin is more likely to allow the processing agents to be comfortable about meeting the minimum requirements. No rocket science necessary to forecast the trajectory of cutting-it-close.

Many times waiting longer to apply can mean taking the oath sooner.

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
Some caveata about dates of travel:

As others have affirmed: A day partially spent in Canada is, indeed, a day the PR was actually, physically in Canada. So it counts.

While one or two minor inaccuracies do not, ordinarily, draw much attention, it warrants remembering that most applicants want to avoid elevated scrutiny (thus delays, possibly all the inconveniences of RQ), not just avoid outright concerns about meeting the presence-requirements. So it is important to minimize even very minor mistakes, at least as much as possible.

Common sources of error:

-- Most common error is using entry stamp into another country as date of exit from Canada --

It is the date of actually exiting Canada that needs to be reported as the date the person left Canada. Many times the arrival date in another country is actually the next day, and for Trans-Pacific flights it can be two days later. Making this error two or three times can add up to an increased risk of elevated scrutiny.

-- Being on the tarmac, or even inside the terminal, does not mean the traveler is IN-Canada yet --

A person is not in Canada until they have been cleared through the PoE. Even if a traveler has been on the ground and at the gate, and then in line in the terminal for more than an hour before midnight, if clearing the PoE screening is past midnight the date of return is that day, the date it is after midnight. This is an error more likely to be noticed since IRCC often checks the applicant's declared dates of return with the CBSA travel history which should show all or nearly all dates of entry into Canada, and of course those will almost always show the date the PoE officer allows entry.

As noted, sure, this is not a serious error. One or two instances, alone, are not likely to draw attention let alone cause a problem. But again, the prospective applicant, whose aim is to sail smoothly through the process, wants to get this information as correct as possible.

This also applies to leaving Canada. If the flight is scheduled to depart at 11:30 p.m., better to report that as the date of exit, even if the flight ends up sitting on the tarmac until well past midnight.

The comfort of a good margin over the minimum:

There are many reasons why a comfortable margin is the far more comfortable, secure way to approach deciding when to make the application.

The critical one, of course, is to avoid a situation in which a mistake or three, or IRCC's perceived doubts about a few days, could put the application in jeopardy. Remember, IRCC needs to determine that the applicant for-sure was in Canada for at least the minimum, NOT a day less, or the application MUST be denied.

But another hugely important one goes back to the desire to avoid elevated scrutiny, and all the possible delays or potentially even the massively inconvenient RQ. A comfortable margin is more likely to allow the processing agents to be comfortable about meeting the minimum requirements. No rocket science necessary to forecast the trajectory of cutting-it-close.

Many times waiting longer to apply can mean taking the oath sooner.
You tend to be extremely exhaustive:), but this is very good information. Thanks!

Last edited:

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
You tend to be extremely exhaustive:), but this is very good information. Thanks!
I can only say from my very own experience during my interview how important the message from depenabill is!
I have a very extensive travel history and while the officer went through all of my dates I saw her correcting quite a few. I had also completely forgotten a whole trip...nevertheless, she said that I had a good buffer so she had no worries. I got my oath invitation.

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
I can only say from my very own experience during my interview how important the message from depenabill is!
I have a very extensive travel history and while the officer went through all of my dates I saw her correcting quite a few. I had also completely forgotten a whole trip...nevertheless, she said that I had a good buffer so she had no worries. I got my oath invitation.
Did you order your travel report yourself? I'm following this subject matter closely because I have also taken a number of trips.

Vicky333

Star Member
Jun 19, 2017
I used the online Physical Presence calculator and missed one of my trips.

I added it to the end - now I have a random 2014 trip stuck at the end of a long list that is in date order.

Do you think this will be a problem? The website won't let me sort according to date. :( And I do not want to 'edit' and delete 30 lines!

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
Did you order your travel report yourself? I'm following this subject matter closely because I have also taken a number of trips.
Actually, when I went for the interview, she asked me how I did the calculation.

I told her that I went through my airline history and my husband and I checked our diaries and I explained that we did our very best in trying to get all the dates properly in order. She smiled and seemed to be happy with it.

Do not forget: there are a lot of people who do not know about this forum and who are unaware that you can order your travel history online. They are blissfully ignorant and I think this is what the officer thought I was.

I have a friend who just applied for citizenship. She had no clue that there is a forum, nor that you can check your status online, leave alone order ATIP and so forth.

She passed her test and is now waiting for oath- without all the stress and worries I went through once I had discovered this forum

mickey_mouse

Oct 24, 2016
Toronto
Category........
App. Filed.......
18-05-2017
I used the online Physical Presence calculator and missed one of my trips.

I added it to the end - now I have a random 2014 trip stuck at the end of a long list that is in date order.

Do you think this will be a problem? The website won't let me sort according to date. :( And I do not want to 'edit' and delete 30 lines!
you will be fine, don't worry as long as you have included it,

it is always a good idea to have your CBSA report on hand before applying to make sure entries to Canada are correct as per your record. But remember always get this report before applying not after you have applied because it may delay your application.

mickey_mouse

Oct 24, 2016
Toronto
Category........
App. Filed.......
18-05-2017
you can get this report here

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/thr-rav-eng.html

it take 30 days to get it. But remember always get this report before applying not after you have applied or it may delay your application as they say on website. I got this report 2 months before applying. This report shows entries to Canada in their system and all exits records to USA only via land border.

Neverthless its a good idea to get this report to make sure entries to canada are correct as per your record.

One can also order FOIA records for usa trips to make sure entry/exit to usa are same as per your calculation

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
you can get this report here

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/thr-rav-eng.html

it take 30 days to get it. But remember always get this report before applying not after you have applied or it may delay your application as they say on website. I got this report 2 months before applying. This report shows entries to Canada in their system and all exits records to USA only via land border.

Neverthless its a good idea to get this report to make sure entries to canada are correct as per your record.

One can also order FOIA records for usa trips to make sure entry/exit to usa are same as per your calculation
Thanks mickey... with the report in hand, do you also authorize CIC to get the travel history or not?