+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Next steps after Citizenship

satya10

Nov 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello
After we complete the CITIZENSHIP OATH ceremony, can we apply for the Canadian passport in our country of origin(outside of Canada)?
Can we travel with old passport?

Appreciate your real time experiences/thoughts.

Thanks

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hello
After we complete the CITIZENSHIP OATH ceremony, can we apply for the Canadian passport in our country of origin(outside of Canada)?

Thanks
After becoming Canadian citizen, you will have to surrender your Indian Passport (going by your profile photo). If you choose to travel on your Indian Passport, to arrive in India and then surrender in India, be prepared to pay a fine. You will obviously not be able to come back to Canada and will have to apply for a Canadian Passport in India. Once you have that, you will have to apply for a permit / visa to stay in India and then use your Canadian Passport to travel back to Canada, if you choose to.

It's probably a lot simpler to get a passport in Canada, apply for surrender of Indian Passport and Indian visa and then travel to India.

Reactions: satya10

Jakke

Star Member
Nov 6, 2021
Hello

Thanks
Yes, you can apply outside Canada, at the local consulate or embassy. What's more, you will get it faster that if you apply in Canada, because people needing a passport to return to Canada are given priority over people trying to get out of Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, you can apply outside Canada, at the local consulate or embassy. What's more, you will get it faster that if you apply in Canada, because people needing a passport to return to Canada are given priority over people trying to get out of Canada.
Slightly more complicated given that they are Indian. They need to give up their Indian passport when they get Canadian citizenship,

Reactions: A_S

Jakke

Star Member
Nov 6, 2021
Slightly more complicated given that they are Indian. They need to give up their Indian passport when they get Canadian citizenship,
Perhaps. But the question I was answering does not say anything about India or Indian.

satya10

Nov 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, passport can be applied at the consulate outside of the Canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The flag with their username is Indian.

Varunaimar

Jan 25, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-03-2018
AOR Received.
20-05-2018
IELTS Request
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Passport Req..
20-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2019
So just to get this right, you're saying we can -
  1. Take oath.
  2. Obtain Canadian citizenship certificate.
  3. Travel to India on Indian passport.
  4. Surrender Indian passport in India (and pay the Rs 10,000 or whatever applicable fine).
  5. Apply for OCI/ visa from India on Canadian passport.
  6. Travel back to Canada.
In step 6, what should we show the immigration officer in India when he notices a fresh Canadian passport with no entry stamp? Do we show him the cancelled Indian passport with the entry stamp and explain the situation?

After becoming Canadian citizen, you will have to surrender your Indian Passport (going by your profile photo). If you choose to travel on your Indian Passport, to arrive in India and then surrender in India, be prepared to pay a fine. You will obviously not be able to come back to Canada and will have to apply for a Canadian Passport in India. Once you have that, you will have to apply for a permit / visa to stay in India and then use your Canadian Passport to travel back to Canada, if you choose to.

It's probably a lot simpler to get a passport in Canada, apply for surrender of Indian Passport and Indian visa and then travel to India.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
So just to get this right, you're saying we can -
  1. Take oath.
  2. Obtain Canadian citizenship certificate.
  3. Travel to India on Indian passport.
  4. Surrender Indian passport in India (and pay the Rs 10,000 or whatever applicable fine).
  5. Apply for OCI/ visa from India on Canadian passport.
  6. Travel back to Canada.
In step 6, what should we show the immigration officer in India when he notices a fresh Canadian passport with no entry stamp? Do we show him the cancelled Indian passport with the entry stamp and explain the situation?
Yes. A second degree connection followed this path when they became a US citizen. Ministry in Delhi would give you a visa / exit permit to leave India on your Canadian passport. Departure immigration would refer to that when you leave.

Knowing Indian bureaucracy and having dealt with arrivals immigration at DEL, I would personally not risk or recommend to anyone. Use at your own peril.

Reactions: Varunaimar

Varunaimar

Jan 25, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-03-2018
AOR Received.
20-05-2018
IELTS Request
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Passport Req..
20-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2019
Thank you and I agree - I was just curious to know what the process was. I'll avoid any undue complications and book my travel only after i have my OCI.

Yes. A second degree connection followed this path when they became a US citizen. Ministry in Delhi would give you a visa / exit permit to leave India on your Canadian passport. Departure immigration would refer to that when you leave.

Knowing Indian bureaucracy and having dealt with arrivals immigration at DEL, I would personally not risk or recommend to anyone. Use at your own peril.