+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NEWS: CIC reopening parent & grandparent sponsorship Jan 2014

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC just put out a news release announcing the parent & grandparent sponsorship will reopen in Jan 2014. Details include:

"First – In 2012 and 2013, Canada will admit 50,000 parents and grandparents as permanent residents. This represents the highest level of parents and grandparents admitted in 20 years. In 2014, Canada will maintain high levels of admissions for parents and grandparents.

Second – The Super Visa will become permanent and will continue to provide flexibility for families who access the 10-year multiple-entry visa, allowing visa holders to remain in Canada up to two years at a time. Over 15,000 Super Visas have been issued since the program’s launch in December 2011 with approval rates averaging 86 percent.

Third – New qualifying criteria for permanent residency sponsorship of parents and grandparents will increase the financial responsibility of sponsors to ensure they have the means to support those they sponsor, while limiting the program’s cost to taxpayers and Canada’s strained health and social programs.

Fourth – 5,000 new sponsorship applications will be accepted in the program in 2014. By accepting 5,000 applications in 2014 while maintaining high levels, the government will be able to further reduce the remaining backlog so that families can be reunited more quickly."

The new criteria include:

Code:
[b]Increase minimum necessary income (MNI) for sponsoring parents and grandparents equivalent by 30 percent:[/b] The current MNI does not accurately reflect the increased costs associated with being financially responsible for elderly parents and grandparents. The modest increase in the MNI will ensure sponsors are able to meet the financial needs of their sponsored parents and grandparents, which will reduce the net costs to Canadian taxpayers.

[b]Lengthen period for demonstrating the MNI from one year to three years:[/b]  Individuals who seek to sponsor their parents and grandparents and their accompanying family members will be required to demonstrate that they meet the new income threshold for the three consecutive tax years prior to submitting the sponsorship application. Requiring prospective sponsors of parents and grandparents to provide evidence of income over a three-year period, as opposed to 12 months, will help ensure sponsors have income stability and the financial means to provide for the basic needs of their parents and grandparents. It will also guarantee that prospective sponsors are contributing to the public services their sponsored family members are likely to use (for example, provincial health care, public transportation, etc.).

[b]Evidence of income confined to documents issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA):[/b] Individuals who seek to sponsor their parents and grandparents and their accompanying family members will be required to demonstrate that they meet the new income threshold for three consecutive years using CRA notices of assessment. This will mean that officials could spend less time reviewing and verifying documents and could help speed up processing times even further. It will also guarantee that prospective sponsors are contributing to the public services their sponsored family members are likely to use (for example, provincial health care, public transportation, etc.).

[b]Extend the sponsorship undertaking period to 20 years instead of 10 years:[/b]  The current sponsorship undertaking period for parents and grandparents is 10 years.  Individuals who seek to sponsor their parents and grandparents and accompanying family members will be required to commit to a lengthened sponsorship undertaking period of 20 years. This means sponsors and co-signers (if applicable) will be responsible for repaying any provincial social assistance benefits paid to the parent and grandparent and their accompanying family members for 20 years. A lengthened sponsorship undertaking will protect Canadian taxpayers and ensure sponsors assume more financial responsibility for the basic needs of their parents and grandparents over a longer period of time, as well as for health care costs not covered by provincial health care (for example, eye care, dental care, mobility aids, etc.). 

[b]Changing the maximum age of dependents:[/b] The maximum age of dependents will be set at 18 years of age and under for all immigration programs, including the Parent and Grandparent program. This is in line with the standard age of majority in Canada. Those over the age of 18 can apply to visit or immigrate to Canada independently. There will be an exception for individuals, regardless of age, who are financially dependent on their parents due to a mental or physical disability.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for posting. I don't think the new criteria come as any surprise. Pretty much in-line with what many were predicting. Good news for those who have been waiting.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

scylla said:
Thanks for posting. I don't think the new criteria come as any surprise. Pretty much in-line with what many were predicting. Good news for those who have been waiting.
I think that one of the most interesting lines in the new criteria is:

1. Changing the maximum age of dependents: The maximum age of dependents will be set at 18 years of age and under for all immigration programs, including the Parent and Grandparent program. This is in line with the standard age of majority in Canada. Those over the age of 18 can apply to visit or immigrate to Canada independently. There will be an exception for individuals, regardless of age, who are financially dependent on their parents due to a mental or physical disability.

So it would appear that dependents over 18 in any application, are out of luck to be included in the application. Note that it doesn't state that those over 18 continuously enrolled in education after the age of 18 can be included as dependents. It states financially dependent on their parents due to a mental or physical disability nothing about students.

Here is the rationale, it looks like under 18s can only be included as dependents on any application http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/backgrounders/2013/2013-05-10a.asp

Description

The proposed regulatory amendments would narrow the definition of dependent child by reducing the age limit to under 19 and removing the exception for full-time students.

The limitation in terms of civil status, i.e. that the child must not be a spouse or common-law partner, and the exception for older dependents unable to be financially self-supporting due to a physical or mental condition, would be retained.

Consequential amendments to ensure consistency with the proposed definition would be made throughout the IRPR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
PMM said:
So it would appear that dependents over 18 in any application, are out of luck to be included in the application. Note that it doesn't state that those over 18 continuously enrolled in education after the age of 18 can be included as dependents. It states financially dependent on their parents due to a mental or physical disability nothing about students.
I missed that detail and assumed students were in. You're right. That's big.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
My pleasure. :)

scylla said:
I missed that detail and assumed students were in. You're right. That's big.
I had started a separate thread highlighting this specific point also since it is much more broadly applicable and can represent a big change for applicants in other categories too. Some people may want to speed up their application mail-in date.

OhCanadiana said:
For those considering applying, you may want to keep in mind that CIC has announced a change in maximum age of dependents as of Jan 2014:

"Changing the maximum age of dependents: The maximum age of dependents will be set at 18 years of age and under for all immigration programs, including the Parent and Grandparent program. This is in line with the standard age of majority in Canada. Those over the age of 18 can apply to visit or immigrate to Canada independently. There will be an exception for individuals, regardless of age, who are financially dependent on their parents due to a mental or physical disability."
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/backgrounders/2013/2013-05-10b.asp
(underlining mine)

Additional details are available in the Backgrounder.

So, anyone with children over 18: complete and mail in your application in sooner rather than later (even if they are in school, since it seems there won't be exceptions for financial dependents other than due to disability).

naser20004

Star Member
Nov 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Amman
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 1, 2009
File Transfer...
October 31, 2012
Med's Request
March 26, 2015 (by email)
Med's Done....
March 31, 2015
Passport Req..
June 29, 2015 (by email)
The new criteria, though don't please everyone but I think it is fair, however; I don't believe the 5000 limit is realistic, there will be far more interested and qualified sponsors, the question would be how will CIC handle the applications, is it going to be first come first served? what if they receive more than 5000 applications the first week they open? I think many people were waiting to send their applications in.

nina.roy

Star Member
Dec 24, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What if i meet the low income threshold but was on mat leave for 10 months in one of those 3 years, will that be held agsinst me? (btw I dont have a co-sponsor). Thnks.

sharuu

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2009
Visa Office......
Buff - Ott
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2011
AOR Received.
September 2011
File Transfer...
July 2012
Passport Req..
December 2012
VISA ISSUED...
December 2012
LANDED..........
February 2013
Where can I find the minimum income required and are the forms and supporting documents required available on their website?

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
sharuu said:
Where can I find the minimum income required and are the forms and supporting documents required available on their website?
Not yet, but basically find the current lico, add a bit for next year, then add 30% to it ( required for 3 consec years )

Vickoo

Jul 3, 2013
They stated that they require last three years of notice of assessment as a proof of income.
But if we submit our application to sponsor in Canada we can only submit notice of assessment 2010,2011,2012. I am trying to find out is it acceptable to sent notice of assessment for 2010,2011,2012 and salary slip for 2013 because we won't receive notice of assessment for 2013 till Late April. Can anyone clarify on this situation please?@

disisme

Jan 14, 2012
Dear all,

I am preparing for the documents for sponsoring my parents and I have arranged the following docs so far. Can anybody please comment / advise if I have missed anything.

Documents required (parents)

• 4 pp size photographs each
• Passport photocopy
• Birth certificates (for both)
• Marriage certificate
• Aadhar card / votors id card (for both)

Documents required (me and my wife)

• Citizenship card / PR card photocopy
• Birth certificates (me only)
• Marriage certificate
• Passport photocopy
• NOA for 2010, 2011 and 2012
• Letter of employment (both)
• Pay stubs for the year 2013

Other Documents

• Fees receipt
• All relevant forms (updated on 31st December)

Questions :

Do I need to send the attested photocopies of the documents or non attested would work as well?
Should I prepare a cover letter explaining missing 2013 NOA (obvious reason)?
Medicals and Police clearance certificate will be needed later. Am I right on this?

thanks in advance.