vergeville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2010
Med's Done....
29-10-2010
Hi everyone,

I'm so frustrated about the brew rules. I applied for citizenship before the new rules came in to effect but my application was returned because they didn't think I had the right language documents. My question is since I applied before the new rules became effective, do I still have to be pr for six years?

Thanks in advance

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
I am sorry to know that. You would have to apply according to new rules now.

Please check the following link which clearly states the information:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become.asp

Beginning on June 11, 2015, CIC will only accept the new application forms. Applications that were received on or after June 11, 2015 that do not use the latest version of the application will be considered incomplete and will be returned. Incomplete applications that were returned prior to June 11, 2015 must be resubmitted using the new application forms.

ar_fabrics

Jun 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
coldgirl said:
Hi everyone,

I'm so frustrated about the brew rules. I applied for citizenship before the new rules came in to effect but my application was returned because they didn't think I had the right language documents. My question is since I applied before the new rules became effective, do I still have to be pr for six years?

Thanks in advance
Unfortunately now you should eligible according to new rule. PR for six year is not condition . it is physical presence of 1460 days in Last six years with minimum 183 days presence in a calendar year .

cosmo777

Star Member
May 15, 2014
Hi,

I'll do my best to help - but I must stress that my advice should not replace the advice of a qualified immigration professional.

First, the bad news - because your application was returned the new citizenship rules will most likely apply to you. CIC was probably flooded with incomplete applications just prior to the deadline as people scrambled to qualify for citizenship under the old rules.

Second, the good news - Permanent residents need only spend a total of 4 years out of 6 to meet the new eligibilty requirements. I believe your post suggested that citizenship applicants needed to spend 6 years in Canada before qualifying.

Hoped that helped...

Jun 24, 2015
Your complete application will be considered as a NEW application. Which means all the new rules will apply to your submission.

i know this is frustrating, but what can you do? i was in a similar situation (but last year) where application was returned due to missing information. I lost total of 6 months for that mistake I did.

Unfortunately these are the rules.

coldgirl

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
vergeville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2010
Med's Done....
29-10-2010
Thank you everyone for your reply. I'm so sad. I have four more years to go.
Do you know if anyone is trying to fight the new rules

Jun 24, 2015
One the citizenship rules are in effect, they remain in effect. and the government we have elected will make the citizenship more harder in coming days.

hkalltheway

Star Member
Oct 6, 2011
coldgirl said:
Thank you everyone for your reply. I'm so sad. I have four more years to go.
Do you know if anyone is trying to fight the new rules
Hi, what do you mean by four MORE years to go? At the time you applied, were you living here for 1095 days already? In that case, you will have one more year to go...

Smile_Canada

Star Member
Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hkalltheway said:
Hi, what do you mean by four MORE years to go? At the time you applied, were you living here for 1095 days already? In that case, you will have one more year to go...
Unless u had some days on Work Permit/Student Visa that were counted towards PR , which no longer can be counted.

But in any scenerios u have minimum of 1 year and maximum of 2 years to go.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Smile_Canada said:
Unless u had some days on Work Permit/Student Visa that were counted towards PR , which no longer can be counted.

But in any scenerios u have minimum of 1 year and maximum of 2 years to go.
Yup. The most delay the new rule can cause is two years.

coldgirl

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
vergeville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2010
Med's Done....
29-10-2010
Yes I was a student before which they are not taking into account

TomTony

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm sorry to hear that your application was returned, but you have to wait two years (not four).
Take it easy, I wish you a good luck.

Snowbird12

Jun 9, 2015
coldgirl said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance
Hi
Dear try to send the missing docs and see what will happen!
It's better to get a letter from them that you have to apply according to the new one
And as we can see no any new experience about this issue!
So try to send what they asked and see
Good luck

coldgirl

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
vergeville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2010
Med's Done....
29-10-2010
Ok I'm a bit confused. I thought one would have to be a PR for six years. Can someone help me with when I'll be eligible?
I came here as a student August of 2009.
Became a PR in August of 2012.
Have traveled twice but not for a long period of time.

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Snowbird12 said:
Hi
Dear try to send the missing docs and see what will happen!
It's better to get a letter from them that you have to apply according to the new one
And as we can see no any new experience about this issue!
So try to send what they asked and see
Good luck
No point - they won't accept the application. We have plenty of experience in this issue. Whenever CIC changes their rules regarding any program, applications under the old rules are no longer accepted after the new rules come into place.