File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yea you are right that my score is not high enough for a general draw. And because it's now impossible to get another IELTS test, I can't really improve my score.
However, looking at past CEC draw history, there's been consistently at least 1 draw per month, and the cut-off score is also getting lower and lower. Hopefully the new stream won't affect CEC draw quota...
There's been at least one CEC draw since the pandemic - but before these were extremely rare events.

One could argue that with the release of these new pathways / programs, it's IRCC's intent to stop the CEC specific draws. That's the risk you face. I personally wouldn't risk it and would apply through the new pathway.

pw123

Mar 16, 2021
Exact same situation, I'll be eligible for EE on May 15th with a high CRS score and in anticipation I already had all the documents ready when the new streams were announced.

It's been hinted this program will be fast-tracked as it's meant to help meet the 2021 immigration quota.

CEC is more predictable and there's lot of documentation online, but nowadays the processing times are not guaranteed. Some January applicants already got their PR while there's some people from May 2020 still waiting. Also there have been some changes announced for Express Entry, we don't know what those changes are going to be like and. whether it'll make it easier or more difficult for us.

I have the feeling these new streams are IRCC's way to tell "Hey, this might be your last chance to apply for PR before we change the system all over again." Covid-19 has exposed Express Entry's flaws, for how long will those CEC-only draws keep going? How much is the minimum CRS score going to decrease? If you look at the current composition of the EE pool, as soon as FSW opens the cutoff scores are going to skyrocket.
Ahh I wasn't aware that there's gonna be changes to EE. My immigration lawyer predicted EE is gonna be easier and easier, but he said that a few weeks ago before the new stream was announced. Seems like we should really consider applying through the new stream, since we already have everything on hand now.

pw123

Mar 16, 2021
There's been at least one CEC draw since the pandemic - but before these were extremely rare events.

One could argue that with the release of these new pathways / programs, it's IRCC's intent to stop the CEC specific draws. That's the risk you face. I personally wouldn't risk it and would apply through the new pathway.
Thank you very much for your advise! I think now I am more prone to applying through the new stream.

rambag98

Jul 3, 2020
Anyone here that could be potentially qualified for both the graduates stream and EE? Which one would you go with?
I already have IELTS score on hand and I will reach 1 year of work experience in July. My EE score will be around 463.

Pros of new stream:
  • Less documents to provide
  • Don't need to wait in the pool
  • Can start application a few weeks earlier than EE
Cons of new stream:
  • Unpredictable system that might crash
  • So many uncertainties since there hasn't been detailed instruction
  • Not sure about the processing time, might be longer than EE
  • Can't travel while it's getting processed (I assume?)
What do you guys think?
I think it's good for you, but also do not assume there are less documents to provide, it's probably the same stuff needed.

rambag98

Jul 3, 2020

Of course, they want to continue CEC draws. 90,000 is just a small portion of the 400,000 goal they need for 2021, and with borders closed they'll just keep or increase these draws. Canadian experience is not something to overlook. The new stream is simply supplemental to the usual draws. Draws have been happening every 2 weeks even before the pandemic, it's not rare. They used to need 300,000 a year, now it's 400,000.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Of course, they want to continue CEC draws. 90,000 is just a small portion of the 400,000 goal they need for 2021, and with borders closed they'll just keep or increase these draws. Canadian experience is not something to overlook. The new stream is simply supplemental to the usual draws. Draws have been happening every 2 weeks even before the pandemic, it's not rare. They used to need 300,000 a year, now it's 400,000.
Please read my post again. I said that CEC specific draws were not happening before the pandemic. The person I was responding to has a score of 463. Without a CEC specific draw, they don't have a high enough score to be selected.

Ultimately the question is whether you willing to bet your PR on the answer. I have no horse in this race. However if I was a CEC applicant, I would apply under the new pathway and not assume the CEC draws will continue.

Reactions: rambag98

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Also, the 400,000 target is for all immigration streams (including family, refugee, etc.). This seems to be often misquoted. The specific target for non-Quebec economic immigration (which includes EE, PNP, Start Up Visa, etc.) is a range of 153K to 208K for 2021.

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
Logically the new stream should be processed relatively fast, since many graduates' PGWP will expire very soon. How are they supposed to be in Canada when the PR is approved if their PGWP is expired?

On the other hand, I honestly don't trust their initial estimation of processing time. They tends to overestimate their processing capability and keep extending the processing time. :confused: For example, EE used to be 6 months and now it's 8 to 10 months.
Their immigration quota used to be way lower, CEC used to be processed in 4 months or so. It's like they increased the quota but not the number of immigration officers.

pw123

Mar 16, 2021
Their immigration quota used to be way lower, CEC used to be processed in 4 months or so. It's like they increased the quota but not the number of immigration officers.
Lol. Don't know how many officers they will assign to this new stream with 40K quota that'll be filled in a few days.

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
Lol. Don't know how many officers they will assign to this new stream with 40K quota that'll be filled in a few days.
I imagine it will work a bit like the 27k CEC draw. A lot of applications in a very short period of time, so I think it's safe to use their thread as a reference...Although because of the nature of that draw, most people didn't submit their applications right away because they weren't expecting an ITA.

penn302

Star Member
Apr 15, 2021
For those of you who booked IELTS, do you see it on your portal? I reserved and paid for the test but it doesn't show up on my online portal when I login at https://my.ieltsessentials.com/IELTS. Does anyone else have this problem? I booked my test in the last week for May 5th for some context
Same, my gf booked, paid, got the email for confirm the payment, but it still shows 'awaiting payment' on the portal. The other day it just disappeared. No responses from email or phone. I guess we probably lost that reservation...

penn302

Star Member
Apr 15, 2021
No it's normal, it took me a week to get mine back in July
Thanks. So after a week, your booking showed up again on the portal? Sounds promising, although our booking date is only eight days away.

Last edited: