01-08-2017
Med's Done....
28-09-2017
Passport Req..
24-10-2017
LANDED..........
06-06-2017
Hi everyone

I have a situation that I am not sure which family sponsorship stream to take. I am American born and have Canadian citizenship claimed through my Mum. That is all sorted and I have both passports. I am currently living in NZ as a permanent resident with my UK husband (also NZ permanent resident), and our son who has claimed NZ citizenship and US citizenship with passports for both (he also qualifies for UK citizenship from his Dad but this is not claimed as of now).

I have been hired by a company in BC with a start date of June 22nd. I want to bring my husband and child along. I will have a letter of appointment showing salary and can provide bank records. My husband will not be working.

-Do we go to Canada and have the boys enter as tourists, then apply for IN Canada family sponsorship once there?
-Is it enough to show that we can financially afford a plane ticket for him to leave if his tourist visa expires?
-Do we start an OUT of Canada application now? If so, what happens when we move- do we just change the address?

Any advice is appreciated. I have trolled the immigration website without much insight. I have contacted the Australasian Consulate who responded back telling me how to apply for a passport- not helpful
Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are you aware that it gets cold here and that sucks? I just came back from three weeks in NZ. Stay in weka land. ;)

I would kick off the outland application now to sponsor your husband and son since processing should be relatively fast. No issues if they relocate to Canada with an outland application. Plenty of us have gone the outland route while our spouses have been in Canada as visitors. CIC will continue to process the application as outland.

Yes - the rest of your family would enter as tourists (assuming the application is still pending once you're ready to travel). They'll need to apply for ETAs before you travel. Note that they most likely won't be covered under the health care system until they are PRs - so make sure they take out private coverage for emergencies.

xrubanx

Star Member
Feb 28, 2017
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
31-03-2017
AOR Received.
01-08-2017
Med's Done....
28-09-2017
Passport Req..
24-10-2017
LANDED..........
06-06-2017
Thanks for the response! I know its going to be a huge change, but the land of the kiwi is soooooo expensive. We just can't afford it long term.

Is we apply out of country stream, is all of the interaction then done online? Or would they still be trying to mail us information after we have left NZ? Should I just supply a friends address?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
xrubanx said:
Thanks for the response! I know its going to be a huge change, but the land of the kiwi is soooooo expensive. We just can't afford it long term.

Is we apply out of country stream, is all of the interaction then done online? Or would they still be trying to mail us information after we have left NZ? Should I just supply a friends address?
Yeah - the expense bit I get. My one and only complaint about the entire trip was how expensive everything was. Pretty crazy. Also, most tourist don't know how to drive - especially in the South Island (yes - I'm talking to you Jucy/Maui drivers).

If you apply outland, you can include an email address for them to use to contact you as a primary means of communication. Once all of you are in Canada, you would change your mailing address to your address in Canada. So even if something is sent via snail mail, it would go to you in Canada (not an address in NZ).