+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Citizenship Bill Thursday Feb 6th

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
guri3577 said:
Here is my take on this:
If your plans are to settle in Canada then these new rules shouldn't be a problem , so, what if the requirements have increased? Wouldn't you be living here anyway? Unless, people want to be citizens of convenience and leave for an indefinite period of time after becoming one then yeah I can see the problem. Regarding jobs, only a few will apply for federal public jobs which give priority to citizens.
While, I can understand people who are so close to applying feel disheartened if this becomes law, the only real difference is the right to vote.I think waiting another year or two shouldn't be that big of a deal. I fully support this.
Feel free to share your opinions on this.
Intentions can change due to unavoidable life circumstances.........

guri3577

May 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013
AOR Received.
30-05-2013
Med's Done....
14-04-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
AIP&DM: 30-01-2014
LANDED..........
25-02-2014
links18 said:
Intentions can change due to unavoidable life circumstances.........
Which would constitute of a small percentage unless, everyone has to deal with emergencies/circumstances back home all of a sudden after getting citizenship ;) To add to that, I think four years is good enough time to decide where you want to settle permanently.

MrB

Star Member
Aug 24, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The Honourable Minister Alexander made the following statement in a press release as a justification/rationale to increasing the eligibility period

"That means making sure that people who are becoming citizens have really lived here, and have lived here for enough time to really understand what citizenship is about, what the country is about."

Eliminating the time spent in Canada before becoming Canadian contradicts the above statement. It's also devalues the time spent in Canada before becoming PR, undermining that time period and implying that time spent pre-permanent residency cannot account for an "individual having really lived here, and for enough time for him/her to understand what citizenship is about, and what the country is about."

I beg to differ Minister Alexander, I came here when I was 17, now I am 29 yrs old. I have spent 11 years in Canada and 9 of those 11 years were pre-permanent residency years. I have established myself in Canada and contributed my quota to the Canadian economy through gainful employment and experience.

Most importantly, having spent the ages 17 – present (29yrs), in Canada, representing the entirety of my adult life, Canada represents the institution of home in my life as evident in my friends, interests, values, habits and culture.

This is a summary of my story, I am sure many of you have similar or more compelling stories to tell. I have written my MP and I suggest you all should do the same. I will support any movement to address that aspect of the bill.

That said, I am for reform and I think majority of the bill is progressive and could possibly have positive effects on future applicants and the integrity of the citizenship process.

cheers!

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MrB said:
The Honourable Minister Alexander made the following statement in a press release as a justification/rationale to increasing the eligibility period

"That means making sure that people who are becoming citizens have really lived here, and have lived here for enough time to really understand what citizenship is about, what the country is about."

Eliminating the time spent in Canada before becoming Canadian contradicts the above statement. It's also devalues the time spent in Canada before becoming PR, undermining that time period and implying that time spent pre-permanent residency cannot account for an "individual having really lived here, and for enough time for him/her to understand what citizenship is about, and what the country is about."

I beg to differ Minister Alexander, I came here when I was 17, now I am 29 yrs old. I have spent 11 years in Canada and 9 of those 11 years were pre-permanent residency years. I have established myself in Canada and contributed my quota to the Canadian economy through gainful employment and experience.

Most importantly, having spent the ages 17 – present (29yrs), in Canada, representing the entirety of my adult life, Canada represents the institution of home in my life as evident in my friends, interests, values, habits and culture.

This is a summary of my story, I am sure many of you have similar or more compelling stories to tell. I have written my MP and I suggest you all should do the same. I will support any movement to address that aspect of the bill.

That said, I am for reform and I think majority of the bill is progressive and could possibly have positive effects on future applicants and the integrity of the citizenship process.

cheers!
Well said. I would appreciate if you sign with this story on the petition:
http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/senate-of-canada-house-of-commons-mp-s-do-not-allow-the-discrimination-of-former-foreign-workers-and-students-by-the-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24
Please make sure you put the above story in the "Reason for signing" field. Many thanks in advance.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
MrB said:

cheers!
Why didn't you get your PR sooner than you did?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
guri3577 said:
Which would constitute of a small percentage unless, everyone has to deal with emergencies/circumstances back home all of a sudden after getting citizenship ;)
Many people do have to deal with such emergencies or circumstances. How are you going to determine who is an honest but unfortunate victim of fortune and who is a deliberate schemer?

We know the conservative mantra on that--its better that ten honest people suffer so that one person doesn't get something they don't deserve.

guri3577

May 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013
AOR Received.
30-05-2013
Med's Done....
14-04-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
AIP&DM: 30-01-2014
LANDED..........
25-02-2014
links18 said:
Many people do have to deal with such emergencies or circumstances. How are you going to determine who is an honest but unfortunate victim of fortune and who is a deliberate schemer?

We know the conservative mantra on that--its better that ten honest people suffer so that one person doesn't get something they don't deserve.
Yes, this in fact is a grey area.

MrB

Star Member
Aug 24, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Swede said:
Why didn't you get your PR sooner than you did?
No problem, I'll tell you why. I came to Canada January 2003, I went to grade 13(OAC/PRE-UNIVERSITY) for 7 MONTHS. Went to University, graduated in 2008. Got my PGWP till 2011, was only able to accumulate my skilled work experience by the end of my PGWP. Before that, I worked jobs that did not qualify. Nevertheless, I am eligible to apply for my citizenship in July this year as I became a permanent resident in 2012. I am hopeful that the law would not affect me, however this is bigger than me, we need to think of the collective well being of others...People who have committed their lives and love Canada so dearly and should not be victims of the shortcomings of the bill.

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
WAIVED !!!!!/ Casual interview with visa officer on 5/3/2012
Passport Req..
21/2/2012, submitted on 27/2/2012
VISA ISSUED...
1/3/2012, valid till 20/12/2012, collected on 5/3/2012
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
Well said MrB and yes can someone please justify the reason behind not counting the time spent in Canada before becoming a PR ?. Yes, you need to live in Canada to understand Canada but here Minister is being so stupid to ignore 11 years of a person like MrB. Personally my wife is living in Canada from last 4 years and has a good level of social involvement because of her studies(nursing) + work and still she is not being given any credit for her stay in Canada. Any reason behind acting this stupid way Canada ?.

Nomi2012

Sep 27, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Say 'No' to Citizenship changes which will mean 4 years wait to become Canadian instead of 3

Vote using the following link

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/02/06/conservatives_set_to_announce_comprehensive_changes_to_citizenship_act.html#Scene_1

Anjuli

Jan 18, 2014
ramsfe said:
On the CIC online payment website, they created a "top up" fee of 200$ for those who only paid 200$ .... I don't know how this will apply, they might not return complete applications but only a request to add 200$ to the bill.
Dear friend I wish they would really do that! For us who sent the application with old fees and had bad luck to had it delivered on Feb 6th :( It would make sense if they would ask for the $$$ difference instead of sending everything back .But someone called CIC and they were told they will send everything back indeed. God knows now how long that will take!!. I am still waiting to see the documents back and hopefully some kind of a letter saying if we should send 200 more and have both receipts or we should start over or what??...There is NO information regarding this issue yet! So awful. We are left in between and in the dark here. You would think if they apply an increase and it is effective right away, they would have all the answers..oh well :(
I will appreciate any new information about this. Thanks and bless everyone!

defrontier

Star Member
Feb 5, 2014
MrB said:
No problem, I'll tell you why. I came to Canada January 2003, I went to grade 13(OAC/PRE-UNIVERSITY) for 7 MONTHS. Went to University, graduated in 2008. Got my PGWP till 2011, was only able to accumulate my skilled work experience by the end of my PGWP. Before that, I worked jobs that did not qualify. Nevertheless, I am eligible to apply for my citizenship in July this year as I became a permanent resident in 2012. I am hopeful that the law would not affect me, however this is bigger than me, we need to think of the collective well being of others...People who have committed their lives and love Canada so dearly and should not be victims of the shortcomings of the bill.
MrB, I hope you get your Citizenship before this applies in 2015-2016 corridor. I have a year for getting pr card.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Nomi2012 said:
Say 'No' to Citizenship changes which will mean 4 years wait to become Canadian instead of 3

Vote using the following link

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/02/06/conservatives_set_to_announce_comprehensive_changes_to_citizenship_act.html#Scene_1
Wow...interesting.in the poll in the above quoted website...there is a larger percentage of NO than YES. Also, many of the controversial sections of the bill will definitely be debated much more - combined with the voices of PRs/immigrants who will use other channels such as social media, contacting their MPs, Twitter of The Minister and people related to express distrust/displeasure and register their views.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
us2yow said:
Wow...interesting.in the poll in the above quoted website...there is a larger percentage of NO than YES. Also, many of the controversial sections of the bill will definitely be debated much more - combined with the voices of PRs/immigrants who will use other channels such as social media, contacting their MPs, Twitter of The Minister and people related to express distrust/displeasure and register their views.
I am afraid the vote would not be enough to revert the Bill.
Please help to spread and sign petition:
https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/canada-parliament-do-not-allow-discrimination-of-former-foreign-workers-and-students-by-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24